Star Wars Anniversary DVD Delay?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When it comes out I am confident it will be everything we want it to be. I still think it will be released in Nov. along side the TFU video game. But only time will tell.

jedibear said:
Those of us who have been following and collecting with the Star Wars juggernaut for years know that there is alot of additional material out there to be mined for possible inclusion as special features in a new set. Everything from omitted webdocs from the prequel releases to OT material the ended up on CD-ROMS to other documentaries (like "The Journey") that already exist are great candidates for inclusion.

And my "dream" special feature would be DVD-ROM galleries dedicated to each film allowing us to click our way through production art and paintings, many we may have seen a zillion times, and others that have laid buried in the Lucasfilm archives... (a similar approach to what companies like "Viz" do with their anime' properties would be cool)...as well as a look back on how "Star Wars" has affected popular culture, from political cartoons to pop-culture references and more...

Other possible features could be special looks/documentaries at fandom, collecting, merchandise, fan-made films, conventions....

And of course, it's a given that Lucas himself will want to tinker with the films yet again....

My point here is....the "ultimate" Star Wars box set should be more than just dumping all of the previously available material onto a set with pretty new packaging...I would rather see Lucasfilm NOT be a slave to an anniversary or other calender date, but instead, dedicate a team to put together a truly "ultimate" box set experience...new transfers that address shortcomings of the previous releases, new features, new documentaries, and features that until now, have never been included with a Star Wars set before.

I agree with you there. Do you happen to remember the DVD-ROM Behind the Magic? It was released in the late 1990's and had a wealth of Star Wars behind the scenes info including the original cut of the cantina scene, Biggs & Luke and all that stuff from ANH. It's a great set, I've got it around here somewhere. Anyway something that truly has all the info you could possibly want would be fantastic to find in an ultimate set. I don't know if that ever will happen exactly, but ti would be nice. It seems that the Definitive laser disc edition did offer a lot of behind the scenes galleries and I believe a tour of the archives, but I've never seen it, just heard about it.

Chances are if there is a nice enough set that seems worthwhile, I'll pick it up, but I would hope that at some point there is a true ultimate set with classic artwork that showcases and compiles everything Star Wars into one complete set. Lately though, they've seemed kind of stingy considering all that DVD has to offer.

I still reckon they will do something with these this year..Afterall it is just asking for it...and as hard-core SW fans know...like myself....It's like a drug...we'll buy it, and George, god-love him, knows it!!

I'd like to see them go into real detail about how they did some of the stuff. It's nice to know something was made with a model or CG effects, but it's even better to know how.

It'd be really cool if they could do something like the LOTR dvd's where they add some kind of super-extra-special edition with some collectible. That would be nice. Like maybe a Vader and Luke bookends. I don't know, something cool. I'd pay $150 for a good DVD set with really good extras.

While they may not hold up to today's standards, I would love for the older documentaries that were released on VHS and laserdisc be included on the DVD boxset:

- The Making of Star Wars (48 minutes)
- SP FX: The Empire Strikes Back (49 minutes)
- Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi (49 minutes)

Back