Star Trek Prodigy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know nothing about it but the title alone suggests something we've seen a million times over including Star Trek Picard and Discovery.

But if it's a cartoon I don't care anyway. I'm a self-admitted snob regarding animation.

The animation in Prodigy is quite exceptional I think. Yeah there was ZERO back story at the beginning so the story-telling aspect needs so work. The pace at the end and similar along the lines of DISCO some of the characters were already annoying.

I will give it a chance and watch a few more episodes before I write it off (FYI I am a pretty big SW fan--and I have not watched 1 episode of Clone Wars....):rotfl

There’s no such thing
tumblr_lu3a8cqbaU1qfrk53o1_500.gif

I have a very hard time believing that. With that said, I've not watched it.
I've always found Star Trek super boring, The Orville doesn't take itself too seriously and that makes it way more fun imo.

I enjoy the new Trek shows! I’m especially looking forward to Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks Season 3.

I would much prefer to have some Star Trek than no Star Trek! If that means more Discovery (fine!) and Prodigy to fill the time- things could certainly be worse. More Janeway (even as a hologram)?! Yes, please!

Anyhow, fan preface complete. Prodigy certainly seems aimed at a younger audience than Lower Decks and it’s immediately more reminiscent of Farscape with the ragtag motley crew of escaping fugitives.

It seems like an adventure show with a villain looming in the background. I imagine over the course of the season they’ll hunt for treasure and resources, discover the ideals of the Federation, help strangers and overcome a variety of obstacles to strengthen their bonds as a crew… and friends! Pepper in a fair amount of Star Treknobabble and it seems just fine.

The only thing that immediately jumped out at me was that the bridge of their Federation ship, the Protostar, had stairs leading into it. Also, I can’t recall ever seeing shields being repaired with a tank of space urine, but technology can get weird sometimes!

I've always found Star Trek super boring, The Orville doesn't take itself too seriously and that makes it way more fun imo.
Orville was ok. There were some episodes where the humor was just cringe, but some of them did work out better. The consensus with Orville is that its best episodes were the episodes that were closer to Star Trek than the straight-out comedy/satire it was.

If Orville is your cup of tea, then Lower Decks might be something you'd like. I haven't watched much of it, but it's pretty much Orville in a more Star Trek setting.

That said, 2 episodes into Prodigy, I already dislike the "captain"... Can't even remember his name... Dal? Love Zero though. Also Janeway with her Voyager (Nissan) thermos mug was just a great throwback.

It's supposed to be aimed more towards kids so I am approaching this as that. I hope that Dal guy gets a bit more likeable down the line. Currently he's just annoyingly arrogant and stupid. I'd take arrogant and smart, but arrogant and stupid is just frustrating to watch.

Orville was ok. There were some episodes where the humor was just cringe, but some of them did work out better. The consensus with Orville is that its best episodes were the episodes that were closer to Star Trek than the straight-out comedy/satire it was.

If Orville is your cup of tea, then Lower Decks might be something you'd like. I haven't watched much of it, but it's pretty much Orville in a more Star Trek setting.

That said, 2 episodes into Prodigy, I already dislike the "captain"... Can't even remember his name... Dal? Love Zero though. Also Janeway with her Voyager (Nissan) thermos mug was just a great throwback.

It's supposed to be aimed more towards kids so I am approaching this as that. I hope that Dal guy gets a bit more likeable down the line. Currently he's just annoyingly arrogant and stupid. I'd take arrogant and smart, but arrogant and stupid is just frustrating to watch.
Yeah, I like Lower Decks, gets a lot of hate but it’s fun.

Yeah, I like Lower Decks, gets a lot of hate but it’s fun.

I enjoyed the first season because it was Futurama-esque, but couldn't get into the second.

I've ditched all Trek now apart from the original series and its films.

I ended up liking The Orville at the second attempt.

I enjoyed the first season because it was Futurama-esque, but couldn't get into the second.

I've ditched all Trek now apart from the original series and its films.

I ended up liking The Orville at the second attempt.
I liked Discovery at first but it started irking me when Michael kept getting promotions and praise after blatantly disobeying orders and causing trouble and how every episode seemed to have a message that was shoved down your throat.

Picard was boring.

I like TOS because of the chemistry between the cast, campiness and Shatner, and KelvinTrek because it's fun action, but I've tried two times to get into TNG and I just can't do it. It's too smug and high on its own fumes for a genre fiction serial. Also, from the first season I watched, I didn't get the hate for Weasly. I found Picard much more of an fine fellow. And I genuinely wanted to grab Data and go all Butlerian Jihad on him. The whole crew felt "off". They're shown to be in a much more relaxed state compared to the TOS crew, but there's this coldness in the air that makes it all seem fake. I didn't have that problem with TOS, they were much more professional but they radiated a genuine warmth and I bought the relationship between Kirk, Spock and Bones. With TNG I felt as if I was watching a bunch of synthezoids LARP as humans and everyone was two clicks away from Columbine: Spaceship Edition. I'd buy a Kirk & Spock for my collection, and I genuinely like the core concept, but that's as far as I'd go.

I like TOS because of the chemistry between the cast, campiness and Shatner, and KelvinTrek because it's fun action, but I've tried two times to get into TNG and I just can't do it. It's too smug and high on its own fumes for a genre fiction serial. Also, from the first season I watched, I didn't get the hate for Weasly. I found Picard much more of an *******. And I genuinely wanted to grab Data and go all Butlerian Jihad on him. The whole crew felt "off". They're shown to be in a much more relaxed state compared to the TOS crew, but there's this coldness in the air that makes it all seem fake. I didn't have that problem with TOS, they were much more professional but they radiated a genuine warmth and I bought the relationship between Kirk, Spock and Bones. With TNG I felt as if I was watching a bunch of synthezoids LARP as humans and everyone was two clicks away from Columbine: Spaceship Edition. I'd buy a Kirk & Spock for my collection, and I genuinely like the core concept, but that's as far as I'd go.
It took a couple of seasons to get on the right footing for TNG.

It took a couple of seasons to get on the right footing for TNG.
I've come across this consensus, yeah. But when I hear "just watch like 60 hours of this genre fiction show man, then it becomes, like, totally better, for like, a genre fiction show" I'm not tempted... Trek's execution across all versions just doesn't jive with me that much in general. Like I said, I like TOS, but that's more or less it. I'm a Dune, Wolfe, 40K type of guy in my Sci-Fi, whereas Foundation and Asimov in general, which are closer to Trek, are out of my sphere. The tenets upon which they're built I cannot go along with.

I've come across this consensus, yeah. But when I hear "just watch like 60 hours of this genre fiction show man, then it becomes, like, totally better, for like, a genre fiction show" I'm not tempted... Trek's execution across all versions just doesn't jive with me that much in general. Like I said, I like TOS, but that's more or less it. I'm a Dune, Wolfe, 40K type of guy in my Sci-Fi, whereas Foundation and Asimov in general, which are closer to Trek, are out of my sphere. The tenets upon which they're built I cannot go along with.
Well honestly with an tv show that went on for awhile it is a double edged sword - lots of hours but you don't have to wait for the next episode or season. I couldn't get into Stargate SG-1 until the 6th season, just some reason the older seasons wasn't grabbing me at the time. The way you talk about TNG is how I feel about DS9, just on a big space station and what seemed like a lot of talking and a lot of doing nothing.

Well honestly with an tv show that went on for awhile it is a double edged sword - lots of hours but you don't have to wait for the next episode or season. I couldn't get into Stargate SG-1 until the 6th season, just some reason the older seasons wasn't grabbing me at the time. The way you talk about TNG is how I feel about DS9, just on a big space station and what seemed like a lot of talking and a lot of doing nothing.
Like a lot of things, it just has to grab you. If it doesn't after one, two, five episodes, might as well skip it. With shows that went on for 7 seasons the such the backlog is too much as well. I've given up trying to get into new (for me) long-running IPs. There's really no point to it.

Back