Star Trek: Picard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved it so much.

Too bad this came after the sequel Star Wars trilogy, because this is what Lucasfilm should have done with their characters after The Force Awakens.

Only thing I didn't like was
Spoiler Spoiler:

Didn’t whatsherface merge with the Borg Queen in S2 and start a new friendly Borg faction? Confused.

Terry Matalas is doing an AMA right now and responded to my question.
Spoiler Spoiler:

My take on the finale:

Winners

- Every scene with the TNG cast was well done, I had little interest in the cut scenes back to the Titan.

- Phenomenal beauty shots and action sequences of the Enterprise D throughout the episode. The Jupiter approach, the one shot with the ship hovering above Picard and Jack and the camera panning around them, the battle scenes, absolutely fantastic. Finally someone properly showcases the capabilities of the Galaxy Class.

- Andrew Probert’s 35 year old design is a marvel in 4K and looks more advanced than any of those cheap looking Star Trek Online designs.

- The Enterprise D gets the true send off she deserves, laid to rest at the fleet museum after one last visit by her commanding officers where she can be admired by future generations.

- The scene between Picard and Jack in the collective, this moment solidified a father-son connection that superseded that of the collective, you don’t see this kind of positive reconciliation story much these days. This was also a nice callback to Generations where Picard looses his biological family, here he has finally regained one.

- I was worried that not all of the crew was going to survive given some of the foreshadowing going on but was happy everyone made it through.

-The Riker/Worf sword “S…” scene was hilarious.

- Mixed feelings regarding the demise of the Borg. When they were first introduced in TNG they were a force to be reckoned with and made a presence. This was gradually diluted with Voyager but if they had to be wiped out, I’m glad it was through the TNG crew.

- The closing Poker scene, direct callback to TNG’s finale and a perfect way to close off the series (again).

- I appreciated the fan service, a satisfying end.

Criticisms (after removing the nostalgia goggles):

- The whole “invitation” scene with the Borg Queen lowering shields made no sense. She basically lacked the ability to defend from within, with the Borg’s very survival at stake, she just had to keep the shields up to prevail. Too convenient a way to defeat one of Trek’s most iconic antagonist.

- Worf literally absorbed 3 disruptor hits point blank.

- Seven’s Captaincy. We all knew this was likely to happen but it felt a little forced considering how her arc started in Season 1. In the 90s series, in order to achieve that rank required extensive experience, a high calibre “best of the best” degree of performance, and years of service. She literally resigns (on the basis of expecting criticism from her Officer Review) and then immediately jumps at a promotion. It didn’t work, they should’ve left that resignation piece out. Seven has waivered more than once regarding her place with Starfleet during this series.

- The rechristening of the Titan to the Enterprise G. This ship is inferior to the F, they went backwards. Lazy.

- The Seven/Raffi command structure. Quite honestly this makes me a lot less excited for a potential Star Trek: Legacy series. I can’t get behind Raffi, and their relationship makes the pairing completely unbelievable for command. I’ll take Shaw any day of the week over Raffi.

Last edited:
Didn’t whatsherface merge with the Borg Queen in S2 and start a new friendly Borg faction? Confused.
I thought the exact same thing! What happened to Jurati and her taking the Borg in a new direction vs just assimilating everything they come across? It’s like she and Rios didn’t ever exist.

And that's a good thing.
I liked Rios and the whole holo-command ship with multiple personalities. Since Rios was left in the past, I can see how he doesn’t play into any future episodes.

Jurati on the other hand… not saying I liked the character or the whole Queen thing they did with her but how do you not reference any of that? Just makes me scratch my head and wonder what the heck are the show runners thinking?

I liked Rios and the whole holo-command ship with multiple personalities. Since Rios was left in the past, I can see how he doesn’t play into any future episodes.

Jurati on the other hand… not saying I liked the character or the whole Queen thing they did with her but how do you not reference any of that? Just makes me scratch my head and wonder what the heck are the show runners thinking?
I think the writers probably wanted to ignore the previous seasons as much as possible.

A satisfying end

Spoiler Spoiler:
Plot wise, I don’t think the Changelings even needed the Borg, they were already highly successful in infiltrating and influencing Starfleet to the point that those officers who weren’t already replaced were completely isolated (Janeway) that they weren’t even reachable.

The Changelings would’ve cemented their own annihilation if the Borg succeeded anyway, it doesn’t really add up.

I have to say it: I’m really not a fan of Raffi. I’m excited at the prospects of a possible spin-off show but the character Raffi, too me, doesn’t belong on the bridge of a Starfleet starship. Maybe through writing and character development, I’ll feel differently in the future.

[SPOILER="Spoiler"]And was anyone else thinking: What happened to Jurati’s Borg Queen? I was expecting her to show up and have some role in the finale.[/SPOILER]
I can’t take to Raffi either, she was better in this season but I wouldn’t want to watch a series that is more centralized around her.

I hope we never see Jurati again, the murdering, mouth foaming displays were enough for me.

I think the writers probably wanted to ignore the previous seasons as much as possible.
There’s ignoring it then there’s contradicting it. They already dealt with the Borg by having them become peaceful allies.

Now we have them deal with the Borg by wiping them out.

There’s ignoring it then there’s contradicting it. They already dealt with the Borg by having them become peaceful allies.

Now we have them deal with the Borg by wiping them out.
Season 1 and 2 were so terrible, personally I don't mind if they contradict it.

Wow is there a lot to dissect from this episode!

First thing that jumps out is just how freakin expensive this finale looked, with some insanely cool visuals, especially of the D. And loved seeing those bubble shields again.

I nearly jumped out of my seat when Picard plugged himself back into the Collective, thinking we might get to see Locutus again, but sadly they didn't take it quite that far.

Like others I was not crazy about seeing the Titan rechristened as the Enterprise-E. The design might have grown on me a bit, but it's still an odd looking ship that doesn't feel like a natural evolution from the E and F at all. And with its boring interiors another spinoff set on that ship doesn't excite me all that much.

"Swords are fun" may just be my favorite Worf line ever. 😄

So bizarre seeing Q again, given his death was the main driving force of the previous season, and the one thing I thought they actually handled well.

So all it takes to disrupt the Starfleet ship override is a 100 year old Klingon cloaking device? Um sure if you say so. And also not sure I buy the Ent-D as being in any way "analog" , but guess I can let that slide as well. Lol

Overall I thought this was a pretty damn good season, especially for all the great character moments. It did feel a little too fan fictiony at times, and the Borg was far too predictable a choice for villain, but the writing and performances were still strong enough to make most of that work anyway.

I don't get the confusion with the Jurati Borg. I thought it was obvious at the end of the second season that it was a separate collective to the regular Borg. She merged with the Borg Queen from the alternate reality, not their Prime timeline. Shaw even mentions about the real Borg still being out there this season.

I honestly don't get the hate for the previous two seasons. It brought new characters in and built a backstory between Picard and Seven that would enable the audience to understand why she would be loyal to him rather than the Captain of her ship. Starting the show with this season would not have made any sense.

I also like Raffi and would love to see them continue into a new series with this crew meeting up with other legacy characters of the past.

I'm speaking as a fan who never really watched TNG, but has seen Voyager and the new Trek shows. I felt Picard brought in some new fans, but also catered to the older fans of TNG.

I don't get the confusion with the Jurati Borg. I thought it was obvious at the end of the second season that it was a separate collective to the regular Borg. She merged with the Borg Queen from the alternate reality, not their Prime timeline. Shaw even mentions about the real Borg still being out there this season.

I honestly don't get the hate for the previous two seasons. It brought new characters in and built a backstory between Picard and Seven that would enable the audience to understand why she would be loyal to him rather than the Captain of her ship. Starting the show with this season would not have made any sense.

I also like Raffi and would love to see them continue into a new series with this crew meeting up with other legacy characters of the past.

I'm speaking as a fan who never really watched TNG, but has seen Voyager and the new Trek shows. I felt Picard brought in some new fans, but also catered to the older fans of TNG.
So you've only seen Voyager and the NuTrek stuff. Then can't understand why people didn't like Picard Season 1 & 2.
I'd suggest watching Star Trek.
TOS, Trek movies 1-6, TNG, the TNG Trek movies, DS9 and Ent.
You've made a start with Voyager but you haven't watched Star Trek really.
It's like saying you don't get why people don't like the sequel trilogy when you've only seen ROTS and the sequel trilogy. Try watching Star Wars.

So you've only seen Voyager and the NuTrek stuff. Then can't understand why people didn't like Picard Season 1 & 2.
It's like saying you don't get why people don't like the sequel trilogy when you've only seen ROTS and the sequel trilogy. Try watching Star Wars.

I've watched all of Trek. Started when I was a kid with TOS in syndication, back before there was cable. Saw TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT first run. I even saw TNG early at a Trek convention, back when Trek conventions were basically the only Sci Fi conventions out there. Saw all the movies in theatres, including TMP. I rewatch the older Treks constantly.....I also like the New Trek episodes. So please stop acting like people who enjoy older Trek can't possibly enjoy new Trek.

This "You aren't a real Trek fan until you've done X,Y,Z" gatekeeping crap really needs to stop. It doesnt matter what Trek someone started with, and it doesn't matter if they like new Trek or not. If they like Trek, any of it, and watch it, that's all that is really required.

I have seen 1 season of TNG and the TNG films, so have seen a bit of them, but not enough to be a fan who only wanted to see TNG cast in Picard.

I still think Picard did a decent job of creating new characters and bringing some newer fans into the franchise. I know TNG fans probably just wanted a show focussing on that crew from the get go, but they built up to that for the final season.

I’ve only seen Discovery (not the latest season or two because Burnham just annoyed me and I couldn’t watch any longer), Strange New Worlds which I thought was fantastic and Picard. Didn’t really care for S1&2 but S3 was really good stuff.

Back