Star Ace Rocky II - Rocky

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sort of looks like Rocky to me...

Rocky-Dennis.Mask.jpg

What about swapping the Star Ace sculpt with Rocky 1 Loan Shark (Sly Stallone shop)?

The Loan Shark (w/out hat) is not great either but still an upgrade over the StarAce... but i think the haircut looks different in the sequel so not screen accurate (not to mention possible skin tone differences).

I PO'd the Ultimate Edition Loan Shark so I am going to have 2 spare headsculpts that I need to figure out what to do with.

Rocky Sculpt Loan Shark.jpg

What about swapping the Star Ace sculpt with Rocky 1 Loan Shark (Sly Stallone shop)?

The Loan Shark (w/out hat) is not great either but still an upgrade over the StarAce... but i think the haircut looks different in the sequel so not screen accurate (not to mention possible skin tone differences).

I PO'd the Ultimate Edition Loan Shark so I am going to have 2 spare headsculpts that I need to figure out what to do with.

View attachment 639924
I think there would be a really high chance that the skin tone won’t match. It definitely would be an improvement.

Perhaps it's because nobody else was doing them, but I collected many of their HP figures (all the teachers) and, while they are *far* from perfect, they are serviceable until something better is on offer. That said, in the last 5 years or so there has been a quality explosion in the 1:6 world with third-party makers delivering figures that would have been considered top tier just ten years ago (Mars for sure but many others like Present, Premier, Art Figure, SWToys, etc - while maybe not consistent, they *are* upping their game, delivering figures HT won't make, and producing some decent figures). InArt entering the fray (and absolutely dominating the field with their initial offerings) even managed to force HT to up their game (at least here and there - you know ... then they feel like it). Yet, with all this upward momentum, Star Ace appears uninterested or unable to rise up. They need better sculptors, better painters, better ... well, pretty much everything...

Despite all the advancements in digital sculpting techniques and all the fantastic artists available around the world, Star Ace still chose this guy for the Rocky project:

istockphoto-184941527-612x612.jpg

Nope…..hard pass on this one. Too bad they don’t go back and hire the team that did McQueen. Those guys knew what they were doing back then. They clearly have the capability to hit home runs when they are forced too step up in the sculpt department. This revised Sly sculpt is garbage. Don’t know who is in charge of that company, but if they keep releasing figures with subpar sculpts at crazy high prices it’s game over.

i
Nope…..hard pass on this one. Too bad they don’t go back and hire the team that did McQueen. Those guys knew what they were doing back then. They clearly have the capability to hit home runs when they are forced too step up in the sculpt department. This revised Sly sculpt is garbage. Don’t know who is in charge of that company, but if they keep releasing figures with subpar sculpts at crazy high prices it’s game over.

StarAce had some decent figures a few years ago - like you said, the McQueen figures were quite good, as well as some of their early Harry Potter figures by K.A. Kim.

I wish Stallone Shop would hurry up and reveal more Rocky figures to see how those compare to Star Ace.

I'm tempted to buy some of these Star Ace Rocky figures for alternate outfit looks and hopefully swap out the headsculpts with spare one at Stallone Shop - i believe their last figure included 2 sculpts.

If you can score some loose parts from these to build something with the extra SlyShop sculpts then I guess that’s great, but how about SA makes a Sly sculpt that freaking looks awesome and nobody even thinks about swapping it. Problem is that abomination was signed off and given the green light when it should have been thrown in the trash…both of them. No matter how bad I want Rocky figs, I just can’t throw money at these ones to get my fix 😑 Mad at ST and not you sorry for my rant :lol :duff

Back