SSC Green Lantern 1/6 Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might I kindly ask what company do you work for? Through your various posts you speak as though you work in this industry? Freelance work? - where can I see the work you have done which has been produced? I'm just curious - thanks!

Currently I do not work because I am disabled. I do some freelance work from time time. Primarily with fashion. I do know the fabric may have cost a pretty penny especially in the states. I remember a nice foil fabric I had printed in black with gold foil cost $5000 for a bolt of 8 yards. It was something I photoshop and sent a file with detailed notes. In Asia it is cheeper but you take a risk especially in shipping of it being damaged. I have done a a project with a friend years ago that he had a metal mold made there not cheap. And I know clear resin can be tricky to both dye and seperate from a mold because of it's tendacy to adhere itself to the mold. Even with a release agent. So I do know it did cost a great deal to make this.

However if a spandex suit would have been made and a simpler design could have been done on the construct. It could have made the cost lower. I'm assuming the lantern was a 2 part mold. Can't tell if handle is metal if not that is another 2 part to seperate to retrieve it and the bottom would be a one part mold possibly like you would to make a sea shell.

The lantern would be unavoidable cost but the rest could have been made cheaper.

I do hope you switch materials for further female figures. Since the black polymers would flake off a lot before showing it was collapsing. The female bodies should not be brittle. And where it screws in place is where it is breaking apart
You might want to have someone check that.

Am I not here doing company public relations by attempting to respectfully answer your questions?

As I said Matt that's great – but in answer to negativity towards GLs costuming you say that 'artist interpretations' is the way you are going with your Super Heroes lines, yet every DC version so far has been comic accurate. But suddenly you decide to get 'artistic' with GL – it just seems like a 'cop out' answer to cover for the poor costuming.

Also when it comes to pricing this figure, the excuses given just don't wash as there are a good 6-10 other companies out there currently doing it better and cheaper than SSC... Mezco are even knocking it outta the park in 1/12!

Again, good to see you coming on here Matt, but again your answers just come across as company pr releases - apologies, nothing personal, it's just how they seem.
The answer quoted for example – I'd be fine with this answer, and SSC doing 'artistic interpretations', however this comment is strange as you have released Catwoman, Harley Quinn, The Joker, Superman and 2 Batman figures in the line so far... all of which are comic accurate and wear spandex (for the heroes) – why all of a sudden would you throw in an 'artistic interpretation'? And let's face it, the only thing different on GL is the material his suit is made from - and i'd be fine with that if the green material wasn't textured... and the more I look at the photos of him, the more his boots bother me – they should be more snug fitting like Batman and Superman's boot, instead it looks like he's wearing his wellies!
So for all the research on this figure, how come this guy, by Evilface in the SSC 1/6th Wolverine thread, looks better..?

View attachment 174431

Also worth noting that i've only seen Wolverine and Deadpool from the Marvel range and they look damn comic accurate to me – at least with Wolverine's leather on his suit, it matches his boots!

I think if we discuss things not in a public forum I can speak in a not so PR manner.

Why would we change it - because we chose to steer the line into this direction and we chose to do this with GL. I'm glad you enjoyed the first wave of DC figures.

I think Evilface's looks great. No debate there. I'm not sure what Wellies are, sorry I can't answer to that point.

I don't believe I have seen Deadpool in a canvas garment like the one we are producing. He looks like he is in spandex from what I've seen. Same with Wolverine. If I compare our GL to Evilface - while ours has texture - other than the groin it appears to be in line color wise and where those colors are - please advise if I'm missing your point.

As I said Matt that's great – but in answer to negativity towards GLs costuming you say that 'artist interpretations' is the way you are going with your Super Heroes lines, yet every DC version so far has been comic accurate. But suddenly you decide to get 'artistic' with GL – it just seems like a 'cop out' answer to cover for the poor costuming.

Yes, and we chose to change with GL. If our post GL releases are departures from 'classic' looks, we can discuss on those threads - cool?

Currently I do not work because I am disabled. I do some freelance work from time time. Primarily with fashion. I do know the fabric may have cost a pretty penny especially in the states. I remember a nice foil fabric I had printed in black with gold foil cost $5000 for a bolt of 8 yards. It was something I photoshop and sent a file with detailed notes. In Asia it is cheeper but you take a risk especially in shipping of it being damaged. I have done a a project with a friend years ago that he had a metal mold made there not cheap. And I know clear resin can be tricky to both dye and seperate from a mold because of it's tendacy to adhere itself to the mold. Even with a release agent. So I do know it did cost a great deal to make this.

However if a spandex suit would have been made and a simpler design could have been done on the construct. It could have made the cost lower. I'm assuming the lantern was a 2 part mold. Can't tell if handle is metal if not that is another 2 part to seperate to retrieve it and the bottom would be a one part mold possibly like you would to make a sea shell.

The lantern would be unavoidable cost but the rest could have been made cheaper.

Noted with thanks. I appreciate the insight into your background.

Thanks for the update on Marvel Matt. I'm not sure if you know but we've only seen The Flash and know he is still being finished. Any chance we'll see an order on him soon? Other DC Characters who might be ready to go? I'm sure you can't say who but can you at least let us know if some are coming sooner than later?

Am I not here doing company public relations by attempting to respectfully answer your questions?

--

Yes and no Matt.

The negativity and vitriol was building and at a boiling point and/or overflowed prior to you chiming in.

I posted this before, but I suspect you chimed in by posting to save face and/or to stop a critical hemorrhage.

It’s been quite a while since someone from Sideshow of your stature actually chimed in an active discussion. In the grand scheme of things, your chiming was not out of genuine respect or sincerity, but purely business driven to placate the defenders of the GL and Sideshow for the most part.

You’re more or less in a damned if you and damned if you don’t position so to speak. In some respects, I believe your participation may have worsened the discussion to an extent, but it’s moot right now.

Some of your posts/replies come off snide and snippy, but then again many posts/replies within this discussion by others including myself come off the same way.

Regardless of how everyone feels about the figure, it is what it is right, wrong, or indifferent. There are those who believe otherwise, but I echo the belief and sentiment your posts/replies come off as PR releases/statements given the negativity surrounding this figure.

No one wants intentionally or indirectly chase away any company representative chiming in; however, the bad feelings have been building up prior to GL and the circumstances/situation was not favorable by any means.

I don't see the whole "PR response" angle people are trying to claim Matt is coming across with. He's literally giving facts that have caused the figure to be what it is and come with what it comes with. I'm pretty sure Sideshow came out originally when they announced the DC license saying they were giving the opportunity to tweak the characters into their own interpretations, also I'm pretty sure "classic" Harley didn't have a corset or are we all ignoring that? I love how these figures have people that ***** about them when they're announced then people get them in hand and they ***** more because the people who first get them are like IGN who are people that wouldn't know how pose a statue correctly. Then they see people who know what they're doing take photos of the figures and put them in displays and all of a sudden they act like the mods they do are no big deal and there's no problem. Take the Superman or Batman forums, shoot Joker everyone bitched about his knees now all you see are people saying "what a great figure".

Noted with thanks. I appreciate the insight into your background.

Welcome. Now the black plastic/resin that's wouldn't happen to be a semi rigid. I have heard the black doesn't hold up well when made thinly if that is the case then that may be the solution.
Apparently the semi rigid and ebony plastic/ resin this is the one drawback.

Yes, and we chose to change with GL. If our post GL releases are departures from 'classic' looks, we can discuss on those threads - cool?

Fair enough... so can I just say, for the love of god do not mess with Flash... and do not use the material the prototype was wearing as he looked perfect apart from that!

--

Yes and no Matt.

The negativity and vitriol was building and at a boiling point and/or overflowed prior to you chiming in.

I posted this before, but I suspect you chimed in by posting to save face and/or to stop a critical hemorrhage.

It’s been quite a while since someone from Sideshow of your stature actually chimed in an active discussion. In the grand scheme of things, your chiming was not out of genuine respect or sincerity, but purely business driven to placate the defenders of the GL and Sideshow for the most part.

You’re more or less in a damned if you and damned if you don’t position so to speak. In some respects, I believe your participation may have worsened the discussion to an extent, but it’s moot right now.

Some of your posts/replies come off snide and snippy, but then again many posts/replies within this discussion by others including myself come off the same way.

Regardless of how everyone feels about the figure, it is what it is right, wrong, or indifferent. There are those who believe otherwise, but I echo the belief and sentiment your posts/replies come off as PR releases/statements given the negativity surrounding this figure.

No one wants intentionally or indirectly chase away any company representative chiming in; however, the bad feelings have been building up prior to GL and the circumstances/situation was not favorable by any means.

FFS! Give the guy a break and show some respect.

Mark Newman often posts on threads regarding his products.
People like you may end these guys ever popping in.

Fair enough... so can I just say, for the love of god do not mess with Flash... and do not use the material the prototype was wearing as he looked perfect apart from that!

--

Becareful Dario.

Whoever is in charge of the final say so with The Flash's outfit may do exactly that and mess with it due to artistic/creative interpretation like GL.

We'll probably get some fancy light up attachment to the base that is supposed to mimic The Flash's speed trail as if he's running along the same line as GL's light up lantern, etc.

--

Yes and no Matt.

:goodpost:

Again, good to see you coming on here Matt, but again your answers just come across as company pr releases - apologies, nothing personal, it's just how they seem.
The answer quoted for example – I'd be fine with this answer, and SSC doing 'artistic interpretations', however this comment is strange as you have released Catwoman, Harley Quinn, The Joker, Superman and 2 Batman figures in the line so far... all of which are comic accurate and wear spandex (for the heroes) – why all of a sudden would you throw in an 'artistic interpretation'? And let's face it, the only thing different on GL is the material his suit is made from - and i'd be fine with that if the green material wasn't textured... and the more I look at the photos of him, the more his boots bother me – they should be more snug fitting like Batman and Superman's boot, instead it looks like he's wearing his wellies!
So for all the research on this figure, how come this guy, by Evilface in the SSC 1/6th Wolverine thread, looks better..?

View attachment 174431

Also worth noting that i've only seen Wolverine and Deadpool from the Marvel range and they look damn comic accurate to me – at least with Wolverine's leather on his suit, it matches his boots!

Now that is a Green Lantern I would gladly buy. Awesome!

--

Becareful Dario.

Whoever is in charge of the final say so with The Flash's outfit may do exactly that and mess with it due to artistic/creative interpretation like GL.

We'll probably get some fancy light up attachment to the base that is supposed to mimic The Flash's speed trail as if he's running along the same line as GL's light up lantern, etc.

That doesn't sound too bad... I just always think the Flash should wear a smooth, friction free material - as long as his uniform looks slick i'll buy regardless of the base or accessories.

I don't see the whole "PR response" angle people are trying to claim Matt is coming across with. He's literally giving facts that have caused the figure to be what it is and come with what it comes with. I'm pretty sure Sideshow came out originally when they announced the DC license saying they were giving the opportunity to tweak the characters into their own interpretations, also I'm pretty sure "classic" Harley didn't have a corset or are we all ignoring that? I love how these figures have people that ***** about them when they're announced then people get them in hand and they ***** more because the people who first get them are like IGN who are people that wouldn't know how pose a statue correctly. Then they see people who know what they're doing take photos of the figures and put them in displays and all of a sudden they act like the mods they do are no big deal and there's no problem. Take the Superman or Batman forums, shoot Joker everyone bitched about his knees now all you see are people saying "what a great figure".

I think people said sups bats and joker overall were a good figure. Jokers knee joints were terrible I personally swapped bodies because it eventually wouldn't bend at all. As for Harley once I cut the cords on the corset I was happy until the body collapsed then the replacement collapsed. Finally put it on the 2.0 playtoy and haven't had an issue with her since. These were only minor headaches but the feeling we constantly need to swap out bodies due to quality issues is getting to be nuts. I haven't had to do that with any hot toys figure.

Back