SSC Green Lantern 1/6 Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
--

Becareful Dario.

Whoever is in charge of the final say so with The Flash's outfit may do exactly that and mess with it due to artistic/creative interpretation like GL.

We'll probably get some fancy light up attachment to the base that is supposed to mimic The Flash's speed trail as if he's running along the same line as GL's light up lantern, etc.

From what I understand the fabric seen in the proto there keeping. Only the head and hands are getting texturized to match. Your not going to get a sleek suit. Only thing is it will be tighter. I already marked flash as a no buy.

I think people said sups bats and joker overall were a good figure. Jokers knee joints were terrible I personally swapped bodies because it eventually wouldn't bend at all. As for Harley once I cut the cords on the corset I was happy until the body collapsed then the replacement collapsed. Finally put it on the 2.0 playtoy and haven't had an issue with her since. These were only minor headaches but the feeling we constantly need to swap out bodies due to quality issues is getting to be nuts. I haven't had to do that with any hot toys figure.

I think that's the most pressing thing to come from this thread – not what's wrong with the GL figure, but what's wrong with SSC as a whole.
The problem with SSC heads being on the large-side has been going on for years – yet nothing seems to be done to rectify this.
The paint apps on the heads hasn't improved in at least the last 5 years, and I keep reading of problems with the bodies – yet nothing changes.
Whereas every other competitor has improved on everyone of these points... in fact the only thing SSC is keeping up with the competitors on is the price!

Not sure why people hate this Figure so much?
I think it's better than any other DC Figure they have done so far.
I ordered it. I Love the Metallic look to the outfit.
If it didn't have that it would just look like another DC Direct Deluxe Green Lantern Figure.
The only thing I didn't like is that there is no light up feature.

I think people said sups bats and joker overall were a good figure. Jokers knee joints were terrible I personally swapped bodies because it eventually wouldn't bend at all. As for Harley once I cut the cords on the corset I was happy until the body collapsed then the replacement collapsed. Finally put it on the 2.0 playtoy and haven't had an issue with her since. These were only minor headaches but the feeling we constantly need to swap out bodies due to quality issues is getting to be nuts. I haven't had to do that with any hot toys figure.

I have all 5 still on their original bodies still all moving properly and haven't had any issue *knock on wood* the only problem is my thumb pulled the string on the front bow on Harley's corset and now it's untied and will remain untied until I learn how to properly tie it. I have no background in fabric or cut and sew like yourself. I'm sorry that your figures haven't held up that really sucks.

In contrast to the “butt hurt” and negative feelings within this thread, I do see some optimism.

For those who clearly will not be purchasing this figure under any circumstances short of utilizing a Sideshow $20.00/$25.00/$30.00 coupon if one ever materializes or purchasing the figure on clearance from a retailer or Sideshow due to unsold stock, I suspect the opportunity for custom seamstresses with proven track records to offer custom GL outfits based on proven and liked designs will be in the offering as a counter response to the figure and there will be those who’ll go for it.

The same goes for custom head sculpts featuring masked or non-masked versions of head sculpts based on the GL character of one’s preference.

I also suspect that there will be increased run (if not already) on the DC DIRECT 13” GL figure by those willing to pay the money and obtain them for custom/kit bashing purposes.

For roughly the same price of the Sideshow GL (a little more or maybe a little less), one could very well end up with a comparable/more favorable itineration of a beloved/classic character.

Then again . . . prior to Sideshow’s GL, Superman, Batman, etc. that’s what quite a few collectors did anyway.

The Sideshow figures offered instant 1:6 gratification out of the box with flaws.

As far as flash is concerned I want him to come with boots that are "action style" like catwomans extra boots as well as hands like one would expect Spiderman to come with to be posed wall crawling, so that I can put Flash in a track start like position.

Not sure why people hate this Figure so much?
I think it's better than any other DC Figure they have done so far.
I ordered it. I Love the Metallic look to the outfit.
If it didn't have that it would just look like another DC Direct Deluxe Green Lantern Figure.
The only thing I didn't like is that there is no light up feature.

Wow! Each to their own I suppose, but the Batman and Joker figures are infinitely superior to GL!

And as to why people hate this figure – I don't think anyone hates it, but it's just not worth the price tag!

For the same money, on Sideshow's on site, you can get the Hot Toys Capt. America from the new Avengers movie... just compare them quality-wise side by side... no contest i'm afraid.

I still don't see how this is an issue. GL & Flash both have textured suits....have been like that since sdcc. And if anyone talked to Matt or Kevin at SDCC, they have always stated that these two figures would open the more interpretive wave of the dc line going forward and the comic/spandex look would no be so direct anymore. I'm pretty sure many folks posted this after the con.

Was anyone listening/reading back then??? I don't get it :huh

While I get the price concerns, which is why I haven't ordered, I don't understand the surprise about the suit?

Tweezers and immense patients.

It's the knowing how to tie it into a bow that is my dilemma and the patience to learn haha, I just moved so as far as having to fix it I first have to get everything out of boxes and in new display cabinets. Although if you have any tips on how to tie a bow and make it look nice or links to tutorials any help is highly appreciated.

Again, good to see you coming on here Matt, but again your answers just come across as company pr releases - apologies, nothing personal, it's just how they seem.
The answer quoted for example – I'd be fine with this answer, and SSC doing 'artistic interpretations', however this comment is strange as you have released Catwoman, Harley Quinn, The Joker, Superman and 2 Batman figures in the line so far... all of which are comic accurate and wear spandex (for the heroes) – why all of a sudden would you throw in an 'artistic interpretation'? And let's face it, the only thing different on GL is the material his suit is made from - and i'd be fine with that if the green material wasn't textured... and the more I look at the photos of him, the more his boots bother me – they should be more snug fitting like Batman and Superman's boot, instead it looks like he's wearing his wellies!
So for all the research on this figure, how come this guy, by Evilface in the SSC 1/6th Wolverine thread, looks better..?

View attachment 174431

Also worth noting that i've only seen Wolverine and Deadpool from the Marvel range and they look damn comic accurate to me – at least with Wolverine's leather on his suit, it matches his boots!

Those are the fine work of Cocoboloboy.

This is my tweaked Superman.

superman_ss_01.jpg

Some good points as far as single injection. Those Funkos are roto cast PVC I believe (I dont own any so I'm purely guessing), a surfboard is -I'm guessing foam? Picnic tables? One big PVC injection - all are different molds than copper or steel ABS / PVC molds which would be needed for high detailed constructs - and undercuts? Oh boy, you need to break down the sculpt in order for all those nooks and crannies to get injected while retaining the sharpness. Great discussion here and one I think would benefit both of us over a round of drinks at SDCC?

Maybe a year or two from now after we have some more DC figures released we can roundtable on whether this Green Lantern was a fitting transition? Deal?

SSC is not in the business of losing money - correct. Storage of a bunch of product though does cost money - right? It makes sense to move that product, ours, product we distribute. I even know at times our shipping department has randomly inserted figures into people's outbound packages unexpected as a gift. Also - those reward points - thats a loss of potential revenue too - right? I don't have any involvement in those decisions and I'm likely treading on thin water even discussing this. My point being is, like I said, you brought a good analogy on the discounted HT stuff, but I wouldn't invest too much into using that as a metric to what figures cost to make.

I do appreciate the dialogue Jedi. I totally get where you are coming from and I respectfully appreciate the time to reply to me and put your thoughts together. Please do stop by the booth at SDCC or at Celebration (I 'm assuming by your name you'll be there) - lets continue this in person. Some good stuff to discuss.

"Maybe a year or two from now after we have some more DC figures released we can roundtable on whether this Green Lantern was a fitting transition? Deal?"

Dang, this sounds like SSC is going away from the classic routes and there own artistic interpretations. If true, will we see redos of Batman and Superman to fit into this style?

As for discussing the pricing, I can understand not talking about it. That is SSC business and I can understand. Don't want you to get into any trouble or anything, it was nice enough for you to try to help us understand, whether some members think it helped or increased tension is beside the point, a good discussion is always fun. I would like an expected gift next time I order though :lol

I am gonna have to try to make it down there. Depends on my schedule, would be nice though.

GL has always been an extremely polarizing character for some reason, even more so than Supes or Batman. I remember back in the 90s when Kyle Raner was brought in as the new GL there was an enormous uproar and it got to the point that I remember reading an article in Wizard magazine where the writer was all upset saying that death threats were being made against him and his family. And here now we have people coming in from both sides of the fence and getting worked up to an insane degree that doesn't do anyone any good. I agree that this is the place to discuss these kind of figures, your likes or dislikes etc... I don't think this thread should be shut down or people called childish for voicing their displeasure but nor do I think attacking the people who do happen to like this figure and calling them fanboys etc is any better. In the end this is the Green Lantern we are getting, maybe in the future there will be another one released like they just did with Batman or maybe not but for now this is it in all its glory and all its faults. price is not going to come down nor will the material change at this point, it is what it is.

Dang, this sounds like SSC is going away from the classic routes and there own artistic interpretations. If true, will we see redos of Batman and Superman to fit into this style?

Well, let's keep perspective. The design hasn't reinterpreted anything really visually in terms of the original design of the character as immediately recognizable. It's the fabric choices and the decisions to use texture that is causing a bit of the uproar. It's not like they completely redesigned the costume. Remember in the initial video there were 5 Supermen and 6 Batmen, including First Appearances, Silver Age, New 52. I would imagine that you'll see "more classic" with the FAs but with the New 52 there isn't anything to stop them from completing going on their own artistic license. The thing is it's still Hal, just not the suit anyone was expecting and it's the price point that has people railing, almost everyone who mentions the costume isn't really focusing there, they are focusing on the fact that it doesn't seem to be worth what is being asked of it.

In the end this is the Green Lantern we are getting, maybe in the future there will be another one released like they just did with Batman or maybe not but for now this is it in all its glory and all its faults. price is not going to come down nor will the material change at this point, it is what it is.

There will be another GL for sure. There are 4 Earth GLs (5 if you're willing to count Simon) and all 4 are really popular. The question is when/if they'll be another Hal. I would imagine Parallax will get done somewhere too since that was a big event for the DCU but that won't offer Hal fans "another shot"

I wonder if SSC would go the HT route and make "expansions?" A pack full of constructs for example to sell if people wanted them. They could have in theory done that. Included multiple sculpts, accessories, smaller constructs and then went into an pack for bigger more impressive ones. I wonder what the price would be on those though...

Haha Matt needs to just make a side forum titled "Ask Matt"
Or get on Twitter so we can send our questions with #askmike haha

GL has always been an extremely polarizing character for some reason, even more so than Supes or Batman. I remember back in the 90s when Kyle Raner was brought in as the new GL there was an enormous uproar and it got to the point that I remember reading an article in Wizard magazine where the writer was all upset saying that death threats were being made against him and his family. And here now we have people coming in from both sides of the fence and getting worked up to an insane degree that doesn't do anyone any good. I agree that this is the place to discuss these kind of figures, your likes or dislikes etc... I don't think this thread should be shut down or people called childish for voicing their displeasure but nor do I think attacking the people who do happen to like this figure and calling them fanboys etc is any better. In the end this is the Green Lantern we are getting, maybe in the future there will be another one released like they just did with Batman or maybe not but for now this is it in all its glory and all its faults. price is not going to come down nor will the material change at this point, it is what it is.

--

I remember.

The introduction of Kyle Raynor was a drastic, major, & significant change to a long established DC comic character at the time and it followed the formula/pattern DC used for many long standing characters at the time (i.e. the "death" of Superman, etc.).

In GL's case, I think ultimately the writer at the time for GL won over many new fans and old ones, but some old fans at the time never accepted Kyle Raynor. I also believe that some comic book fandom/news publications like Wizard at the time favorably wrote of Kyle Raynor and his team up with the "new" Green Arrow and their exploits that caught on.

Back