SSC Darth Maul resculpt & repaint

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I never liked the paint on the original SSC Maul, but it looked like there was a decent sculpt under there, which Darren Carnall's repaint confirmed a few years ago. Since moving last summer I never took him out of his box anymore because I wasn't satisfied with him. I then figured that I would rather try and improve him myself, before he rots away in his box.

I first stripped all the paint. Then carefully cut away his upper eyelids, to remove that tired/bored look he had in his eyes. I sculpted some eyebrows to get a 'pissed off' look. Then I repainted the whole head. After looking at a lot of stills and promoshots, I realized there are dozens of different tattoo versions, with small details always different. I decided to do a mix of my favorite details.

For the body, I used advanced TT chest and arms, and slim TT upper and lower abdomen and legs. I think it accurately portrays his small but muscular physique. The gloves and boots are still placeholders, I want to make some more accurate ones when I have the time.

Anyway, enjoy the pics. I included a progress/comparison shot at the end. Comments and critiques are welcome. :)

IMG_9607_2_small.jpg

IMG_9580_2_small.jpg

IMG_9576_2_small.jpg

IMG_9604_2_small.jpg

IMG_9599_2_small.jpg

IMG_9611_2_small.jpg

IMG_9590_3_small.jpg

IMG_9615_2_small.jpg

comparison_2.jpg

That is absolutely wonderamazo!

The expression is dead on Maul. You've captured the character quite nicely! I'm amazed at how you can paint those tiny tattoo details.

Damn... that's it I'm now re-redoing mine. That mod to the eyes makes it 10X better. I was happy with just a repaint, but no going back after seeing this :lol

How did you strip off the paint? Did you use acetone, or something else?

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it.

That is absolutely wonderamazo!

The expression is dead on Maul. You've captured the character quite nicely! I'm amazed at how you can paint those tiny tattoo details.

Thanks! The tattoos were what I feared most about the whole thing, it's what held me back to do this mod earlier. I'm still somewhat of a novice painter. But it turned out to not be that hard. Patience is key though, I basically always did it one stroke at a time. :lol

Damn... that's it I'm now re-redoing mine. That mod to the eyes makes it 10X better. I was happy with just a repaint, but no going back after seeing this :lol

Thanks a lot. I used acetone to strip the paint, yeah. And I'm glad to have inspired you! :) I really like your work, your recent commission work is great. Looking very forward to seeing your work on him.
I also just sent a potential customer in your direction, I hope you don't mind. :p I don't want to take commissions myself, so I suggested you, since you are planning on doing this mod anyway.

Thanks man, I'll let you know how it goes :duff

When I did my Maul I really considered stripping the paint especially since the tatoos were off center, but decided against it. I tried "fixing" it, but it still looked off to me.

And if you're gonna strip it, might as well mod those tired eyes while you're at it :lol

Looks perfect now man. Awesome job!

I'm also working on a Maul atm but i'm going for the shirtless look with the tat's on the body :)

Looks perfect now man. Awesome job!

I'm also working on a Maul atm but i'm going for the shirtless look with the tat's on the body :)

Thanks Seb! Really looking forward to that, too. I started painting the tattoos on the slim TT chest as well, before deciding to go with the muscular TT chest. Then I thought 'screw it', I'm not posing him without a shirt anyway. :lol Are you using the Bruce Lee body? I always thought that would look great on a shirtless Maul.

Also, do you have any tips for accurate gloves and/or boots? :p I have yet to source any thin faux leather to try out some more stuff on my own. I'd like to keep the wrist and ankle articulation.

Well I htink the BL body looks too thin. I'm going for the mythos looks and will be using a TTM19. The body is already dye in red and I will begin the tattoo this weekend.

I will also like you made the gloves with leather also to keep the wrist articulation.

That's splendid. At some point I've gotta find someone to repaint mine. Also looks better on the custom TT bod. So those sections (torso, arms, legs, etc.) come apart easily?

Awesome job! That is how the original head should have looked in the first place. I might have to attempt something like that sometime.

Love how even the tattoos are menacing.
Amazing how on the original not only is the expression docile, but so are the tattoos.

That Maul looks awesome man, great job!

Edit: on second thought screw you! Now I look at my Maul and am so disappointed in him haha, good job man!

Yes. 10X better is right!

Looks fantastic! If Maul looked like that out of the box I'd be all over it. Now he doesn't look like he's stoned on Xanax.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

Much appreciated, guys. :)

Excellent work. I love what you did with the lips on him. Much better.

Yeah the lips were one of the things I hated most about the original paint. It looked like he had a funky mustache. I wanted to touch that up before but was afraid that the black paint wouldn't match. Very glad I did the whole thing now, of course.

That's splendid. At some point I've gotta find someone to repaint mine. Also looks better on the custom TT bod. So those sections (torso, arms, legs, etc.) come apart easily?

The sections come apart easily, you just have to unscrew the upper body/chest. I did have to do some minor work on the part connecting the abdomen with the chest, one part was larger than the other. I am not 100% certain what I had to do though, as I tried a few different parts, among others an old school truetype, before settling for this configuration.

Love how even the tattoos are menacing.
Amazing how on the original not only is the expression docile, but so are the tattoos.

Yeah I think the narrow paint on the chain, and of course the curvature above the eyes contribute most to that. The wider opened eyes make him look more fierce as well.

Back