SSC 1/6 501st Legion Clone Trooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being a Clonaholic myself, I agree with Josh. As far as a phase II Clone goes, with the exception of the plain white, we pretty much have all the color variations out, so there's nowhere left to go but the more unique clones, i.e. Airborne, Commander, Kashyyk, etc. which is what I'm really excited for.

Yeah, I'm really hoping for an Airborne trooper at some point. Doesn't have to be now, but would be nice to have one to display next to Cody.

DSC07872.jpg

First impression:

Minor criticisms

1)The battle damage...I still hate it.

2) The closed fists...I still hate them.

3) The way the new body suit looks. Up close, the piping really comes off as "way too much" for me.

Love -

1)The way the new body suit performs. Absolutely increases the realization of the potentional of the articulation. Not perfectly, but I will be surprised if this aspect is ever improved on. I am all the way happy with it as is. I really like the tight fit of the suit and how thin the material is. Those are nthe keys to getting and maintaining good poses. When you mix that with moving the body suit so that it is not twisted when you get a figure in the pose you want...these body suits (even the older ones) can actually help hold the figure in the pose. And this new body suit seems to do a great job allowing the added articulations AND supporting the pose when you set it correctly. Big win for Sideshow.

2) The continued tightness of the joints. This seems to be a fairly permanent correction on the Pro.

3) That this is the 501st. I have always been a fan of the 501st Legion markings.

4) Overall love the figure. Glad I have it (I got 2 exclusives and a regular...take that "Elite":)) and can't wait to get Anakin out of storage for a family shot.

Edit - 5) I love the way the armor is a little more loose with the thinner body suit. That makes for easier posing as well. But you can see by my picture that I forgot to adjust his thigh armor. It does stay well-enough when it is placed correctly.

Looks good. Will be cool to have this come in next week. U and I totally differ the battle damage. I just don't understand how anyone could want just plain clean clones. Makes no sense to me seeing as we never saw them like that at all.

Here are a few more shots.

DSC07873.jpg

DSC07874.jpg

DSC07875.jpg

I have to give Medicom a single advantage over the Sideshow clones...I was able to get them into a prone pose (after changing the body suit). I think I can do it with Sideshow's...but it has been a challenge so far. Placing the elbows to support the weapon and getting the head at a realistic angle have proved troublesome.

Looks good. Will be cool to have this come in next week. U and I totally differ the battle damage. I just don't understand how anyone could want just plain clean clones. Makes no sense to me seeing as we never saw them like that at all.

I actually like the "clean" look as well - the figs just look wrong to me with all these different "battle damage" looks. The Utapau clones look yellowed and the sandtroopers all look grey-ish to me. They don't blend in well together. Besides when troopers get hit with blasters, they die in the films, so how would there be troopers with blaster marks on them? :slap

Nice shots DC.

They've all been in different battles in different places. So thats where the difference comes in at for me. Yeah, some of them got shot and died but that doesnt mean it would be all of them. For me I personally prfer them to look like they've seen a fight not just come off the assembly line

I have mentioned my own views many times before. And I am sure that there are some who are tired of reading them. But for a final time, I will go over them.

My thoughts on the weathering/battle damage:

1) Does not look realistic. Hell, if you look closely at the 501st, you can see the computer spray pattern.

2) It eliminates individuality for the figures. There is zero left to the imagination if every trooper has identicle weathering/battle damage. This precludes displaying more than one in a scene, for me.

3) I like the look of the clean troopers in formation. It exudes an air of discilpine and overall power. And it does not negate the imagining of there being mulptiple different people under the armor as when they are clean...uniformity is the goal. They are all supposed to look the same.

4) I do not hold to the figures having to look exactly like they do in a certain scene from the movie. Doing so greatly reduced the effectiveness of using them for a different scenario. I like to go beyond the movies for inspiration to display the figures sometimes.

And on an added note...To me, sending them out from the factory clean would make more sense as anyone who wants to have weathering or battle damage can apply that a lot easier than it can be removed. Removing the weathering/battle damage often damages the plastic of the armor whereas painting over it does not. Particularly if these simple black scufs are great for anybody...they could be done extremely easily by hand and to better effect as the digital spray pattern will not show, even if the the person applying them has limited talent at it like I do.

Now, I realize that my view is in the extreme minority and after having discussed this with Sideshow, I know it is not going to change. In fact, they got the point across to me that even if the vast majority of collectors preferred the clean version, Sideshow would still offer them with the weathering/battle damage simply because that is how those involved with the production prefer them. So as long as it was not affecting sales, even the majority preferring the clean version would not change it.

Now, obvioulsy, the weathering/battle damage is not a deal killer for me. But it does stop me from buying the multiples that I would like to have to display in each scene.

Also, I am completely OK with individual clone characters like Cody, Rex and the commanders having factory applied battle damage if it looks good. There is no need for two of those in a display. But I would still like a clean version as I think a clean Cody Standing in fron of a formation of clean 212th and Airborns would freakin' rock!

I have mentioned my own views many times before. And I am sure that there are some who are tired of reading them. But for a final time, I will go over them.

Glad you posted. I don't recall reading it before.

1) Does not look realistic. Hell, if you look closely at the 501st, you can see the computer spray pattern.

It looks real to me. I think it even looks pretty close to what you see in this picture.

503px-501stlegion1.jpg

2) It eliminates individuality for the figures. There is zero left to the imagination if every trooper has identicle weathering/battle damage. This precludes displaying more than one in a scene, for me.

I guess this is a big deal if you're trying to set up battle scenes. I don't know if thats a big deal to most collectors though.

3) I like the look of the clean troopers in formation. It exudes an air of discilpine and overall power. And it does not negate the imagining of there being mulptiple different people under the armor as when they are clean...uniformity is the goal. They are all supposed to look the same.

This just seems like it would be easier and cheaper to do with the little hasbro figures. I personally have no wanting to set up formation or battle scenes with my high end figures. They're clones its all Jango under the helm.

And on an added note...To me, sending them out from the factory clean would make more sense as anyone who wants to have weathering or battle damage can apply that a lot easier than it can be removed. Removing the weathering/battle damage often damages the plastic of the armor whereas painting over it does not. Particularly if these simple black scufs are great for anybody...they could be done extremely easily by hand and to better effect as the digital spray pattern will not show, even if the the person applying them has limited talent at it like I do.

Gotta disagree totally with ya here DC. I have no desire to go out and I'm sure most folks are like me in that they don't want to go out and weather their toys. Doing this right even the minorist weathering or more heavily if you're like me takes some talent to make it look right.

Now, I realize that my view is in the extreme minority and after having discussed this with Sideshow, I know it is not going to change. In fact, they got the point across to me that even if the vast majority of collectors preferred the clean version, Sideshow would still offer them with the weathering/battle damage simply because that is how those involved with the production prefer them. So as long as it was not affecting sales, even the majority preferring the clean version would not change it.

Yeah, I've talked with them before about the weathering. Of course I did so in telling them that I love the weathering and that I hoped they stayed the course.

Again thanks for posting this DC though I don't agree with ya. :duff

That is what I am wondering...I would like to know that was possible.

I assume it would be seeing as these are hand painted and all.

Great shots, Valentin and Darth Cruel...only ordered one of these (for now)...always looking forward to another clone...

Glad to hear you like the new body suit, DC...I'm really impressed with it too, after seeing how well it performs with the Phase l Lieutenant...and am really glad it's going to be the norm from now one.

This is my favorite clone so far. Like everyone else has said, the new and improved body suite is appriciated and the blue color really pops. I like it!

I'm still on the fence about the crotch stand since I have been able to hide the grabby ends well on other figures, but the plus is that I don't have to stretch clothes over the end.

100_4408.jpg

100_4409.jpg

I like the new stands cause they don't cause odd pinching on figures with clothes and the Iron Man figures you don't get C-Ring around the waist (wish I still had all my old U rings so I could change them out with certain figures.)

Do you all kmow what I like best about the new stands?

The newer figures don't need them.

I am kind of bummed.I just went to futz my 501st Trooper and found that I left him at work.:slap

Well now that I finally picked up an Utapau to go with Obi Wan and Cody, I guess I'll need one of these to go with Rex and Anakin.

UPS screwed me out of my 2 yesterday. They apparently showed up at 1PM while I was still at work, but they didn't leave them, despite me sending in the signature waiver to Sideshow (and all was processed correctly on that btw). But the worst part was they never left a attempted delivery notice. So I didn't know they hadn't come yet. So when I left the house again at 6PM, I just assumed they were running late that day (they have been around past 6 PM before) and I would have them when I got back hom from seeing Machete. When I got back, no Clones. I check my tracking number and only then find out they tried to deliver at 1PM. Since its like 9:30PM now, I can't call in and just pick it up on Saturday morning, despite it being at the center! :banghead

Needless to say I'm pissed at UPS right now. I use the sig waivers just to avoid these types of situations and even when I use one, they treat it as if it needs a signature! I of course filed a formal complaint since the UPS rep I talked to said they should definately leave a notice if they don't leave the package. It was that lack of a notice that made me miss out on getting them sent to will call. And now I have to wait until Monday, possibly Tuesday if they think it still needs a signature :slap

Back