Space Jockey's Custom Workshop

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Space Jockey

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my stab at creating a John Hurt 'Kane' sculpt from the movie ALIEN. Like everyone else, I was pretty disappointed with the headsculpt that comes with the Kane figure by Hot Toys, so I thought I'd have a go at making my own. This is my first 1:6 scale sculpt.

These are shots of the final unpainted product; I've sculpted it out of Super Sculpey and is shown unpainted in these photos. I have some minor things to complete on the headcover, mainly the earpieces (just need to put in some extra holes so it looks like the Dallas headsculpt).

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera (yeah I know I have to get one, but right now I'm short of cash thanks to these action figures :banghead) but will get one soon. Alot of the details don't show up on the face such as the wrinkles because of this, but anyway... hope you can make out who it's supposed to be! :eek:

From what I can see it looks pretty good... you've got the somber look going which reminds me of Hurt. Can't wait to see better pics.

This is the sculpt out of the suit. A HT Neck Connector can just be glued to the bottom the same as other headsculpts. I want to get a cast of it and show it painted up.

Also shown is my Hicks and Vasquez in-progress repaints from the movie ALIENS. I added a couple of more camoflauge colors to Hicks' armour to make it more screen accurate; added some nicks and scratches (still have more to do). Also need to add his lighter case and knife. The headsculpt is from Les Walker, though I bought it from him unpainted and I painted it myself. The only thing I've done to the Vasquez figure thus far is repaint the headsculpt and her arms.

I have completed a Bishop custom and a repaint of Apone, which I'll post at some point.

very nice work. love that kane sculpt. and your hicks & vasquez repaint are top shelf. looking forward to a painted kane !!!

Wow, that sculpt looks great.
At this point, anything would have been better than what we got from Hot toys, but I'm really impressed by your work. :monkey5

Thanks all for the kind words. All being well, I hope to offer the Kane headsculpt soon in painted or unpainted versions. I'll show a painted version first, though. I'll keep everyone posted.

Best Regards

-Space Jockey.

Last edited:
You say this is your first try, hard to belive. You do such great work. As a side, John Hurt won't permit his image to be used so HT didn't have much of a choice. He did the same thing when asked to ok figures from Hellboy. By the way, put me on the list for a painted head.

Thanks! I have the silicone rubber and resin on order, plus I'm awaiting neck connectors/adaptors also that will be attached to the sculpts so they can attached straight into the Hot Toys Kane body. In the meantime I'm making some final adjustments to the sculpt so it's a little easier to get it into and out of the Kane helmet.

Best Regards

- Space Jockey

I have the silicone rubber and resin now, so will be casting one up tomorrow with a paintup on Sunday. It's good timing too as I get my Kane figure monday. So tuesday night pacific time I'll post some completed photos of the sculpt (with a better camera).

Well the casting went quite well, though I'm a bit behind because of a power cut of all things, and there isn't much I can do in the dark. Hopefully my Kane figure is waiting for me at home. I'm finding the camera is finding it difficult to focus on the sculpt maybe because it's all white...I'm going to paint it up tonight and see if I have better luck with photos then.

Back