Space Jockey's Custom Workshop

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'They look like leathery objects... ...like eggs, or something.'

Finally I got the Kane headsculpt finished. I painted it Tuesday night after the powercut earlier this week, but I repainted it this morning now that it's the weekend and I can actually see what I'm doing in natural daylight rather than bulbs.
I think if I had to rate it out of ten I'd give it a six or seven; unfortunately, it still cannot be installed with the head in place and the helmet lowered over it. Not very easily anyway and not without risking damaging the paint. So, I have to fit it through the visor opening, and have it just sitting there rather than snapping it into the neck post. I think that it's all I can do.
It certainly was a tricky sculpt; a) it was my first; b) if I hold the Dallas sculpt upto any of the marines, the scales are different, so I had to compensate for that; I assume HT did this so they could be installed through the helmet.
Also c) I realised once I started painting the thing, the wrinkles were way too pronounced. I hadn't used enough alcohol to smooth out the detail. So I needed to layer up the paint to try to smooth it out.
So, taking into account the above, there's a good chance I'm going to attempt it again at some point. Certainly been a learning experience.

Last edited:
'Not bad... ...for a human.'

Here's a custom I made of a central character from ALIENS, the android 'Bishop'. The headsculpt is from Ada Chan painted by myself; I made the jumpsuit out of two GSG9 Gameitoy jumpsuits ordered from War-Toys.com, one of which I cut up and cannibalized for the other. I made new pockets on the chest, and a new collar. The USCM patch is paper; the boots and stand are a spare Ripley set. I just need to change the label on the stand.

Not bad for first time! For the wrinkle problem , I would suggest to use thinned out putty(with paint thinner)to coat the face once. This will certainly improve the skin problem. You can see the improvement on my Kane sculpt with this method.

Using LMP's suggestion, I took it a stage further by thinning down some Super Sculpey with rubbing alchohol, which I painted onto the original sculpt. Once dry, I put it into the oven to cook. It seems to work, and the wrinkles look alot less pronounced. I then cut the face off of the Kane headsculpt that came with the figure, and swapped it for the sculpey one and gave it a coat of primer to see how it'd look. Should be much easier to paint up this time around.

Last edited:
Been a while, but I scrapped the previous sculpt altogether and now I've done a new one. Bought some Grey Super Sculpy instead of using the pink stuff on advice of Chris Howes, and found it much easier to work with. Can actually see what I'm sculpting. Four hours later... here it is.

I haven't baked it yet and can make some modifications. Let me know what you all think. :cool:

Thanks!
- SJ

I should add that in a couple of weeks I'll be offering these for sale in both painted and unpainted versions all being well.
All the previous pics of a Kane sculpt I've posted are the old sculpt which I've scrapped; the one in post #28 is the new version.

Just to let you guys know I have a further 2 Painted headsculpts ready to go, and (6) Unpainted sculpts ready. I can cast up sculpts as required. If interested, shoot me a pm or post within this thread. These may be the last painted sculpts I do for a while as I'm concentrating more on my exterior Nostromo blueprints.
Thanks,
- SJ

For future reference, instead of sculpting the eyes, use bearings or BB's. This will give the nice smooth surface.Also if you have a good photo reference, you can use calipers to transfer the features over. Helps unify the face.

Well, I don't have BB's, ball bearings or calipers, but I'll get them now! Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. Don't know if I'm going to do more sculpting anytime soon...I'm finishing up some Nostromo blueprints right now.

Back