Sons Of Anarchy Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been re-watching S1 over the last two days and I picked up some fun, "Did you know?" trivia bits. . .

Opie (Ryan Hurst) was in Saving Private Ryan, he was the guy who actually knew where Pvt. Ryan was, the guy with the hearing problem. That beard makes him unrecognizable.

He's also the guy who gets in the car wreck and misses the championship game in Remember the Titans.

Agreed. But they just upped the stakes so high this season and so much has gone down if a mere 5 or 6 episodes. They stacked the **** up! :lol

Yep and it's only going to get better when they find out what they did to Gemma.

Yep and it's only going to get better when they find out what they did to Gemma.

Did I ever tell you this?
Spoiler Spoiler:

Did I ever tell you this?
Spoiler Spoiler:

Yep you did the other week and it's a good plan really.

Yeah it is and with this show being losely based on Hamlet that means:
Spoiler Spoiler:

I would love that to be honest is that bad of me? i don't think so as he's a bit of a ^^^^. :lol

Yeah it is and with this show being losely based on Hamlet that means:
Spoiler Spoiler:

I think they are basing this story on Hamlet, but are moving it in a different direction. Because honestly, apart from the parallels that Clay is the Claudius, Gemma is Gertrude and Jax is Hamlet, Tara is Ophelia, I can't think of any other similarities that we've seen so far. Besides, everyone knows how that story goes, and I for one, would be disappointed to see Tara go crazy, Clay accidentally kill Gemma and Jax end up dead in a bar brawl with Tara's yet to be introduced brother.

All the main characters end up dead in Hamlet, I don't think SoA is that story. The Shield was depressing enough as it is, I don't think Kurt Sutter would want to do that again. This quote from him, "It's not a version of Hamlet but it's definitely influenced by it." I think Sutter took that starting point, that backstory and is going somewhere else with it.

And remember, Hamlet knew from the beginning that Claudius killed his father, the journey for vengeance was the appeal of that story. Right now, we don't even know that Clay killed John Teller. If he did, I would think Piney might speak up about it, you can't keep a secret like that buried for long, and at this point it's been 16 years. I almost wonder if that will be one of the unresolved plot lines of this show.

Another similarity is Hamlet was betrayed by his best friend (hence Opie and Jax.) But I'm not saying that he will kill Clay because after all it is "loosly" based. I'm saying that we don't know how close it will resemble Hamlet at points. So Jax killing Clay isn't out of the realm of possibilities is all I'm saying.

Another similarity is Hamlet was betrayed by his best friend (hence Opie and Jax.)

Not sure who you're thinking of here, I don't remember Hamlet being betrayed by anyone. Horatio was Hamlet's best friend, and he didn't betray him. In fact, he tried to drink the poison intended for Hamlet, loyal to Hamlet till the end.

Oh and another similarity is Hamlet was haunted by his fathers ghost hence Jax being influenced by John from beyond the grave.

Yeah, that goes along with the starting point. They obviously based it on Hamlet, Claudius=Clay, Gertrude=Gemma, it's right there in the names. But Jackson (Jax) doesn't resemble Hamlet, so that's our first tip-off that this isn't your average Hamlet. I'd say we can expect Clay and Gemma to play their roles, but Jax isn't going to play the role of Hamlet, he's expressed no desire to kill Clay, that's not going to allow him to take over the club.

I'm arguing that while we can expect Jax to kill Clay. . . the hook is, that's what we expect, that's the story of Hamlet. Good TV does the last thing you expect. I think they're going to build the feud up between Jax and Clay so much that it gets beyond the breaking point, and some crazy thing is going to happen that comes out of left field, say Weston loses it and kills Clay.

Think about it, like in The Shield, you expected Vic to kill Shane, but it never happened, it builds the tension.

Say, Tara's about to rat, and Clay kills her, Jax goes to confront Clay, Clay kills Jax, and then Gemma kills Clay, they could still do the Hamlet story, but the twist is the roles are reversed, everyone dies except Opie.

Yeah those are all valid points. I just hope Jax doesn't die but that just might happen. Maybe him dying will get the club on the right track. Of course that would be like the last episode and all but I don't think Jax will die.

Hell of an ep tonight. :rock Glad the boys are safe. I wanted Jax to kick Clay's ass but Clay held his own. It was actually even imo. Clay did well for an old man. I am loving the Gemma and Tara duo, they are great together. Next weeks looks great as always. And don't forget next week is the death. :(

That was a good one. Really feel bad for Ope, guy just can't catch a break. In the interest of coming back and saying "Yay, I called it", I'm gonna wager 5 Coca-Colas that Bobby's not gonna survive.

Great episode last night. Jax got the better of Clay IMO but Clay did well for a old man.

Back