Solo_bones Custom Jawas and Bases

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, here's the baggy version with no straps around the chest. Still a WIP.

And with straps around chest, before bandoliers. These are temporary leather scraps, not the actual straps I will use.

I'd love to know more about the Jawa's innards and armature...the making of a Jawa...are you giving away any secrets?

Thanks, guys.

Yes, I can share. It changes all the time depending on Robe size and Jawas size request...so it's an evolving process for me.

Thanks, guys.

Yes, I can share. It changes all the time depending on Robe size and Jawas size request...so it's an evolving process for me.

Thanks SB, I'd be interested in understanding what's under the robe...I tried searching for small 6th scale figures to customize without luck. I've never sewed anything in my life but your work provides motivation to learn. I can't seem to talk myself into getting the SS Jawa set, mostly because of the robe material used.

I use 8-9" halo figures for the body, but I have to cut the legs and arms down to make them look like little people. Also, I have to customize a head and I use anything from Barbie heads to ping pong balls cut and reshaped. For the tiny 6-7" figures I use Toys R Us WWT/F (?) wrestling figures, also cut and reshaped. Each wrestler is different so you get different body shapes. Go crazy under the robe to make them fill the robe as you prefer by padding the Gut, legs and arms for your dairies look. I wrap the limbs and bodies with material after padding and mummify them. Hope that helps.

It does SB...sounds like I don't need to over-think the project. Like I said, I've never sewn before but my wife recently purchased a new machine, I'm hoping she'll give me a few lessons. What can you tell me about making patterns for the robes, I'm thinking you would use paper to help refine the shape...trial and error...and maybe using cheap material to work out the bugs? Lastly, are your hoods separate, like the SS Jawas; that seems to be the way to go?

Thanks for the motivation!

I don't make the robes, I buy them from MYC's seamstress..which I think is his wife. The hoods are separate, that's the way to go.

Oh dang...well your leather work is amazing, that's the part I'm looking forward to.

SB, can you tell me about the leather you're using...or maybe the "leather" if it's not real?

The leather has been the most frustrating part of this whole process. I have gone through dozens and dozens of leather options and stuck out dozens and dozens of time. I eventually resorted to buying wallets at Ross, genuine leather wallets. The best wallets have been a variant of Steve Madden wallets. They are the thinnest and most genuine. I use other material for straps, leather with cloth cracking so the leather can stretch without tearing or ripping. It's always a mix because I just can't get enough wallets. I'm still in search of leather sheets like the wallet material I use.

Interesting what you have to do to get the material you need. I walked through some stores today looking for materials and did purchase some faux leather that has cloth backing...and you're right, probably only good for straps and such. I have an 11cm doll armature on order that I thought would work...probably a little bigger than the SS R2 once a head and cloths were added. Check out the link below and YouTube videos for the 11cm black Obitsu figure I'm gonna try; if I have any success at this I may try a Jawa Jedi for fun cause the Obitsu figures are crazy poseble. The shipping time sucks though cause it's coming from Japan...the only place I was able to find a black version.

Obitsu figure: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016JKPUB8/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Obitsu review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8TA53dwq_s

SB, can you point me to your source for the Jawa robes...are the for sale to the general public?

Back