Solo: A Star Wars Story

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shows you just how stupid they think their audience is that they have to spoon feed you their redundant marketing.

Star Wars: A Star Wars Story
Yoda: A Star Wars Story
Luke Skywalker: A Star Wars Story
War of the Stars: A Star Wars Story

In RO's defense it didn't actually say "A Star Wars Story" on screen so I just liken it to a movie poster tagline, nothing more.

Still a far cry from a film like SPLIT though that hides the series that it's a part of as part of its twist and trusts in the quality of itself as a standalone pic to be enough to win audiences over.

One great gauge to test on whether or not a movie it’s really good is how much the trailer is giveaway. The trailer is for solo gave nothing away. I really enjoyed it. Everybody I know in real life, really enjoyed it.

Which was still a really good rendition of the story. I thought it was a good movie but of course it was only half of the book so I’ll have to reserve judgment till I see the other half.

Well, in the end Solo did make it to within spitting distance of $400m. Looks like it will end its run with around $385m worldwide.

Obviously super low for a SW franchise movie and against its doubled budget, but it's about what Disney's Tron Legacy made on a $170m budget (yes, eight years ago...) and that did well enough that there was - for a time - talk of a Tron Legacy sequel.

Finally caught this and... I actually liked it. Didn't love it mind you but it was a decent watch. My only major gripes are that the film was so dark that I couldn't tell what was going on half of the time and it was still bloated with about half an hour of filler content that could have easily been cut. The story was fairly simplistic, but the film treated it as if it were complex and I feel that hurt the film further. Nevertheless, the good outweighed the bad as there were plenty of fun scenes (unlike the flat and boring RO) along with the third act, both of which saved the film for me. I guess I'll be in the minority who liked the Maul cameo although I think it should have been done as a post-credits scene instead of directly after the final battle as it made the scene feel out of place and less surprising. Couldn't buy Alden as Han at all but I just pretended that this wasn't canon with the OT. Also L3 and Lando... WTF...

Overall I'd give it about a 6.5/10 and would probably rank the film somewhere in the middle:

Best:
ESB - 10/10
ANH - 9/10
ROTS - 8/10
ROTJ - 7/10

Watchable:
Solo - 6.5/10
TLJ - 6/10 (was actually re-watching this one the other day and was shocked by how much I enjoyed the Luke and Kylo scenes even if the film around these two characters is a trainwreck)
TFA - 5/10

Do not like:
RO - 4/10
AOTC - 3/10
TPM - 3/10

No sequel for sure- maybe they might use him again in another stand alone but I doubt it....

These deleted scenes coming with the 9/25 blu-ray sound awesome!!

Extras on the Blu-ray and Digital versions will include 9 behind-the-scenes featurettes (Solo: The Director & Cast Roundtable, Team Chewie, Kasdan on Kasdan, Remaking the Millennium Falcon, Escape from Corellia, The Train Heist, Becoming a Droid: L3-37, Scoundrels, Droids, Creatures and Cards: Welcome to Fort Ypso, and Into the Maelstrom: The Kessel Run). You’ll also get 8 deleted scenes (including Proxima’s Den, Corellian Foot Chase, Han Solo: Imperial Cadet, The Battle of Mimban: Extended, Han Versus Chewie: Extended, Snowball Fight!, Meet Dryden: Extended, and Coaxium Double-Cross), and a preview for the new Disney Galaxy’s Edge attraction called The Millennium Falcon: From Page to Park.

e49f4d5c54da44a3936d5262e03bcd41_XL.jpg

IMO Solo Movie was way better then TLJ.... It will be interesting to see how Episode IX does at the box office, will fans really boycott it or will it cross the billion dollar mark.... Even though I believe Kennedy is destroying the franchise I'll still want to see how Abrams does without Harrison Ford to lean on...

Last edited:
IMO Solo Movie was way better then TLJ.... It will be interesting to see how Episode IV does at the box office, will fans really boycott it or will it cross the billion dollar mark.... Even though I believe Kennedy is destroying the franchise I'll still want to see how Abrams does without Harrison Ford to lean on...

I think episode IV will do alright at the box office. May even make Star Wars a world wide phenomenon. :)

Nobody ask for Solo but it’s here. My first thought when the credit went up....I could go for another instalment! I look forward to repeat viewings on Blu ray. Been listening to the soundtrack often so the music I’m very familiar with!!

Back