Statue Smaug the Golden by Franklin Mint

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Fell Beast

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ok guys I was out and about today and just happened to walk into a local hobby, statute collectable shop today, not sure what made me walk in but I was floored when I saw this Golden reddish beauty sitting in one of the display cases. Walked right up to it and confirmed that indeed it was "Smaug the Golden by Franklin Mint" just screaming for someone to take it home. After talking to the shop owner for awhile he told me he gets most of his stuff from estate sales and this one was no different. He would not tell me his buying price but it was under $50! We continued to talk about it as he had some other dragon type items sitting around and said he had a difficult time getting them to move so he "priced it to move" and I was all to happy to move it! For a mere $70 he gladly packed it up and he was going home with me! Everything was included, the original packaging, certificates etc and the beauty packed tightly and .....

TADA!!!!

Smaug the Golden by Franklin Mint in all of his glory!

First impression was wow this is one fine sculpt and the paint is near perfect, it is hand painted porcelain, fragile, yea but so it polystone. From all of the pictures I have seen this guy looked way red and sort of cartoonish but not in person, I could not have been more pleased with him! This is a welcomed unexpected addition to my collection!

Weta and Sideshow could take some lessons on how to pack a statue...

sam2356n.jpg

sam2355x.jpg

sam2340r.jpg

More pics

sam2347.jpg

sam2339f.jpg

sam2350f.jpg

sam2355h.jpg

Thought I would share my little adventure with you today......

Last edited:
Nice score! I hadn't seen photos of that statue before - it looks great. Congrats! :duff

Very nice! I've seen this in some collection shots but its still pretty cool to see none the less.

Nice score! I hadn't seen photos of that statue before - it looks great. Congrats! :duff

THANKS!!

I have seen it before but never in person and let me say it is 1000 better in person. Just with these guys I have a closet full of empty boxes and my wife is starting to complain on the "wasted closet space"..... :pfft:

Very nice! I've seen this in some collection shots but its still pretty cool to see none the less.

Yes it is, typical in that they always look better in person! And to think it was sitting there at a local shop waiting for someone who knew what it was to take it home, didn't you walk in a pawn shop and found a Cave Troll??

Yes it is, typical in that they always look better in person! And to think it was sitting there at a local shop waiting for someone who knew what it was to take it home, didn't you walk in a pawn shop and found a Cave Troll??

I'm sure though it does look really nice in the pictures. :hi5: Yeah, that's always nice when something this cool is just waiting for you. I did.

I have this one and it's pretty nice. Franklin mint has a lot nicer dragons then this piece though...but they aren't LOTR.

Congrats! You were lucky you stumbled across it.

I have this one and it's pretty nice. Franklin mint has a lot nicer dragons then this piece though...but they aren't LOTR.

Congrats! You were lucky you stumbled across it.

Thanks I thought so as I was floored to see it in this small tiny shop!

And the price tag made my day as I have seen a few on Ebay and I was NOT going to pay $400+ for him!

Back