Small Soldiers Movie figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dollmanron

Super Freak
Reaction score
Does anyone remember the movie "Small Soldiers" by DreamWorks and Universal pictures? It's where a toy company was bought by a weapons manufacture and with the technology of his other companies he built miniature toys Robots. The Commando's turned out to be the villains even though they were advertized (in the movie) to be the heroes and the Gorgonites actually did become the heroes of the picture; the villains. Hasbro made figures of them back in the late 90's, but didn't make them all. Stan Winston did the figures and the special effects for the movie and he had his own ultra expensive figures used straight from the movie for sale. I wonder if they would make a good line for Hot Toys or Sideshow if enough people showed interest. I know I would, I thought it was a great movie.:angelsmil

Interestingly it was on TV last sunday, was the first time I'd seen it in years, still very enjoyable. But like EvilFace said I doubt they'd do well.

It was certainly fun back in the day. Haven't seen it in a long while. The Hasbro figures were actually quite cool. You should try to grab some of them.

Won't happen, what i really want to see though are Hot Toys Gremlins. Gizmo and Stripe.

I'd love a set of the Commandos! I was pissed that the figures released weren't the same as the ones in the movie (sans chips of course :lol). I'd still love to have a set of them. :drool

Small Soldiers eff'ing rules!

I would love to see figs made. I am somewhat on the fence if they well sell or not. If done well and released with a small ES I can see a lot of collectors be attracted towards these.

I had really high hopes that this would be the next "Gremlins" when it came out (same director) but was very disappointed that the Commandos posed no real threat and didn't actually kill anybody. I remember going to Gremlins with my mom as a kid and we both thought it would be another "E.T" only to be shocked at these horrible little monsters that were murdering half the town.

I would pay for High End Small Soldiers figures, but im a weirdo so i doubt it would work.

maybe i can sue McDonalds and go buy the props or something

As a matter of fact, Stan Winston himself had a large hand in creating highly limited edition replicas of Chip Hazard and Archer. He used the original molds and commissioned the original artists to make them in the studio. However, they were tagged at a "ridiculous" amount because each one cost thousands of dollars.

Only 4 were sold at their FAO Schwarz premiere.

For those curious, I got this from page 229 of "The Winston Effect"

As a matter of fact, Stan Winston himself had a large hand in creating highly limited edition replicas of Chip Hazard and Archer. He used the original molds and commissioned the original artists to make them in the studio. However, they were tagged at a "ridiculous" amount because each one cost thousands of dollars.

Only 4 were sold at their FAO Schwarz premiere.

For those curious, I got this from page 229 of "The Winston Effect"

Really? I didn't know there were ever any made for the public, even at an insane amount. I remember when I saw the film and how much the figures were. They were like $80 right? I remember thinking that was insane! Now we buy figures $160+ and they dont' even have chips! :lol

I really don't know how they did expect a huge line like that to sell for $80+ a pop! Collectors will pay that, but for a kid's toy? I don't think so.

I think Sideshow would be perfect for this line. They have a great relationship with Stan Winston Studios. I could see them making a replica just like the Kong armature. Chip and Archer would be shoe-ins, but I'd love to see the whole set of at least the Commando Elite.

Really? I didn't know there were ever any made for the public, even at an insane amount. I remember when I saw the film and how much the figures were. They were like $80 right? I remember thinking that was insane! Now we buy figures $160+ and they dont' even have chips! :lol

I really don't know how they did expect a huge line like that to sell for $80+ a pop! Collectors will pay that, but for a kid's toy? I don't think so.

I don't think they were that cheap. It didn't specify in the book, but Winston was quoted in there as saying they were "untouchable from a dollars and cents standpoint" and people would have to pay a "gazillion" dollars.

$80 seems a bit too low in that context. Plus, this is FAO Schwarz. Did they EVER charge that little for an exclusive?! :lol

I'm guessing they had to be pushing $1000 each. If they had several hundred for sale, and they only sold FOUR...

I don't think they were that cheap. It didn't specify in the book, but Winston was quoted in there as saying they were "untouchable from a dollars and cents standpoint" and people would have to pay a "gazillion" dollars.

$80 seems a bit too low in that context. Plus, this is FAO Schwarz. Did they EVER charge that little for an exclusive?! :lol

I'm guessing they had to be pushing $1000 each. If they had several hundred for sale, and they only sold FOUR...

I was talking about the price they were in the movie.

Couldn't find much on Google except this listing for a Profiles in History auction:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5467840

I don't have an account, so I can't check the final selling price, but with a starting bid of $2,000 for the pair, it seems likely that each was around $800 - $1000 originally.

Still...I'm surprised so little sold. Nowadays, they could have sold over a thousand easily. Look at most of Sideshow's authentic replica offerings!!

Back