Slik?s Star Wars customs and more

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top notch work! The Rancor, Bantha and female Tusken raider are amazing, as are all the SW characters. Did you sculpt, hair, paint and tailor all of those? If any are offered as kits maybe I can find a customizer. Sideshow should be paying attention rather than letting their 1/6 SW license languish. I know they have the Rancor, but it?s both expensive and polystone, and I?d prefer cheaper and PVC to match the rest of the collection. The Planet of the Apes pieces remind me how much someone needs to pick up that license. The Alien suits are fantastic. Another mostly abandoned license thanks to HT.

Thank you :)
I didn?t not sculpt and sew everything though. Some of it I sculpt and ?see?, but many things are build upon other people?s 3D print work and 1/6 clothing. I then hand sculpt over the 3d prints to make them more detailed and accurate and dye and mod clothing pieces for instance :)

I?ve never attempted dyeing, it?s a little intimidating, is it as difficult as I?m thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it?s not that difficult. Since the clothes isn?t going to be washed and worn you can use thinned up textile colors. Those come in both solid and transparent colors.

OK Fair enough. You must have gone through a fair bit of it then. Surely you didn't cover the whole Rancor in it ?

Hope it doesn't crack over time. That would suck. I've heard of it but never used it.

No no not the whole thing. Just places where I feel like it needs it. Here?s a mid way example of when I was working on the rancor. All the teeth, mouth, nostrils, eyelids and so forth are sculpted upon the soft 3D sculpt.
I?m pretty sure it won?t crack.
ca999dba1e86d09c088c8f103398f825.jpg

Truly amazing stuff Slikk (still love the pilots and Rancor Keeper best) - and yeah, with 3D prints, we do seem to be on the brink of a whole new era of SW customizing - where you don't have to wait for Sideshow or HT to make it, or even do some of the legwork/basics yourself (researching reference, sculpting/refining, casting etc.)

We are on the brink of nearly the entire SW universe - props, heads, outfits - being available as 3D prints that you can use as needed. I don't think anyone has really understood just how revolutionary this time right now is for 1/6 collectors. In some ways we have been freed from the endless waits for licensed manufacturers to choose and then make certain characters.

Awesome line up, Slik. That Wampa is amazing! :clap

Where is the wampa? Did that pic get deleted?

Are the Rancor and Bantha 3D sculpts available from somewhere? If so a link would be great. Also how did you do the female Tusken?

I?ve never attempted dyeing, it?s a little intimidating, is it as difficult as I?m thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have done some dying. I will give you my insights. So far i have only used RIT products.

1) follow the dye makers instructions.

2) follow the recipes for colors that require mixing of dyes.

3) if your doing small batches, since most recipes are designed for large batches of fabric, consider scaling it down and also saving a successful dye bath in a jar to reuse when it cools down. To reuse you do have to be mindful of how much water seems to have evaporated out for next use. This is pure guess work. But if you test you can figure it out.

4) take your desired garment and get it inside out. Snip of a piece of excess to use as a test. This is easier if you're making the garment.

5) remember that the color out of the bath and rinse after going to look darker. The end color will show when the item has fully dried and will be lighter than when the item is wet.

6) Rinse, rinse rinse. When you are done with the bath, sure the item is well rinsed. Start with warm water to maximize the removal of excess and end with cold to look lock in the color.

7) Allow to dry on paper towels. This will help you gauge the amount of excess dye, and if you may need to do another rinse. Also test wipe the dyed garment against a white piece of fabric to see if color transfer occurs. If you get color transfer you'll need to do another rinse.

8) i forgot where i read this, but a single drop of fabric detergent is supposed to aide the rinse process.

9) you may have to bleach out an original color to get your desired end color. Don't be shocked by the results of this process. I had a dark gray WWII Russian tanker overalls that after a bleach bath turn pink ala New Kids on the Block! I them tried an ammonia bath and it turned yellow do i could get it dyed green. These things can be unpredictable for us newbies, if something goes weird ask for help.

10) don't ever mix bleach and ammonia, it's very deadly!!!!!! Make sure you rinse very well if you use either of those products!!!

I hope that helps. There used to be a web site with popular military recipes. I'll have to see if i can find it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the extra pictures of the bantha. That is a true work of art. So is that female tusken.

Lots of great stuff in this thread. Sorry about the dye hi jack.

I have done some dying. I will give you my insights. So far i have only used RIT products.

1) follow the dye makers instructions.

2) follow the recipes for colors that require mixing of dyes.

3) if your doing small batches, since most recipes are designed for large batches of fabric, consider scaling it down and also saving a successful dye bath in a jar to reuse when it cools down. To reuse you do have to be mindful of how much water seems to have evaporated out for next use. This is pure guess work. But if you test you can figure it out.

4) take your desired garment and get it inside out. Snip of a piece of excess to use as a test. This is easier if you're making the garment.

5) remember that the color out of the bath and rinse after going to look darker. The end color will show when the item has fully dried and will be lighter than when the item is wet.

6) Rinse, rinse rinse. When you are done with the bath, sure the item is well rinsed. Start with warm water to maximize the removal of excess and end with cold to look lock in the color.

7) Allow to dry on paper towels. This will help you gauge the amount of excess dye, and if you may need to do another rinse. Also test wipe the dyed garment against a white piece of fabric to see if color transfer occurs. If you get color transfer you'll need to do another rinse.

8) i forgot where i read this, but a single drop of fabric detergent is supposed to aide the rinse process.

9) you may have to bleach out an original color to get your desired end color. Don't be shocked by the results of this process. I had a dark gray WWII Russian tanker overalls that after a bleach bath turn pink ala New Kids on the Block! I them tried an ammonia bath and it turned yellow do i could get it dyed green. These things can be unpredictable for us newbies, if something goes weird ask for help.

10) don't ever mix bleach and ammonia, it's very deadly!!!!!! Make sure you rinse very well if you use either of those products!!!

I hope that helps. There used to be a web site with popular military recipes. I'll have to see if i can find it.

I would add to make sure your dye (if from a RIT-type dye packet) is very well mixed beofre dipping anything into it. I did a taupe/tan dye one time and found little dots of red and yellow that hadn't mixed properly that were permanently dyed into the fabric I was dyeing.

Back