Simple Dioramas

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itchybitz

Super Freak
Reaction score
I wanted to build a generic dio that would make a nice backdrop for a variety of different figures and I wanted to do it without spending much.

The floor and walls are made from Styrofoam, the walls are ceiling tiles (I didn't even know these were still available!). The door and door frame is balsa wood.
It's been painted with acrylics.
The floor was created by scoring lines using a small flat head screwdriver.

dio-01-1.jpg

dio-02.jpg

Another layer of paint added but still not right.
Next I shall assemble, attach and paint this pipe work...

dio-04.jpg

dio-06.jpg

dio-07.jpg

Next I'm adding an electrical box and conduit using balsa wood, wooden dowelling and Styrofoam.

dio-09.jpg

dio-10.jpg

dio-11.jpg

.... and that's it for now.
I will be adding to it over time, like building some shelves perhaps or a workbench, maybe find some basic furniture.

So, watch this space:)

Last edited:
Re: Simple Diorama

So I built some shelves for it, haven't painted and weathered them yet but I wanted to see how they looked.

dio-12.jpg

dio-13.jpg

dio-14-1.jpg

Last edited:

Absolutely amazing work! Where did you get the pipes from?

Thanks man:)
The pipe is just regular copper pipe used for gas fittings, you can find it at most hardware stores.

... and here's the completed version, at least for now anyway.

dio-15.jpg

dio-16.jpg

dio-17.jpg

dio-18.jpg

dio-19.jpg

Looks great--especially all the pipes and other details!

If you would like any suggestions, my main one would be that the door does not really "read" as a door very clearly. It is too narrow (should be maybe 30-40% wider) and if possible framed and set back into the wall slightly. But overall great work!!!

That's some very nice work. Great job!

Looks great--especially all the pipes and other details!

If you would like any suggestions, my main one would be that the door does not really "read" as a door very clearly. It is too narrow (should be maybe 30-40% wider) and if possible framed and set back into the wall slightly. But overall great work!!!
I know what you're saying about that door but that was the width of the piece of balsa I was using, I guess I could have put two pieces together but I wanted to keep it simple. You do see narrow doors like that though, esspecially in older buildings.
But on my next dio, I will remember your advice:)
I think the first thing I'll do is to actually create a door way that I can place a frame into.
awesome dio!
Cheers buddy:)
Wow with a little work and some detail you turned that into something special. Very nice work indeed.
Appreciated:)
that looks awesome!!! making me want to do one now
You really should, it's quite easy and really inexpensive. But most of all fun.
That's some very nice work. Great job!
Thank you very much:)

Dude, this is cool. You can just put any figure in there, and it looks great and includes a lot of great 1/6 items! great job! awesome.

Dude, this is cool. You can just put any figure in there, and it looks great and includes a lot of great 1/6 items! great job! awesome.

Here I have used it for two bored SF operators caught between missions.

"What do you want to do now?"
timeoff-01.jpg

timeoff-02.jpg

timeoff-07.jpg

timeoff-08.jpg

timeoff-09.jpg

timeoff-10.jpg

timeoff-11.jpg

timeoff-13.jpg

timeoff-14.jpg

That's something pretty fantastic to be had. I'd love to do something similar. All the accessories really sell the photos in your last post. Love it!

Crazy good stuff.

Man, you sure have fun with your figures, and i'm not talking about this thread alone :D

dude that's an awesome diorama! i love the military shots the most. :)

Just out of curiosity, did you make all the accessories? I'm curious of the evian water bottles and the cigarettes and ashtray, and the chair, they're awesome :D

I said it before, and I'll say it again. Great dio!

The stucco walls give it a little more character than just plain walls and I love the small details like the "Keep Out" sign and the electrical hazard sign. The best part is obvious versaltility of the set. Good stuff!

Crazy good stuff.

Man, you sure have fun with your figures, and i'm not talking about this thread alone :D
Thanks very much:)
It's all about having fun here for me, I'm far less interested in the collecting side of it than the creative side.
I'd much rather play with these guys than just look at them:)
dude that's an awesome diorama! i love the military shots the most. :)
Yeah, me too. I tried to put some character into those.
Just out of curiosity, did you make all the accessories? I'm curious of the evian water bottles and the cigarettes and ashtray, and the chair, they're awesome :D

I said it before, and I'll say it again. Great dio!
Thanks Ed:)
No, I didn't make those. I made the table and shelves, the candy bars and the gun oil and rag but all the other stuff I've just accumulated over the years. Some parts are from sets, others I bought loose.
The chair comes from a Reservoir Dogs box set, the water bottles are actually 1/12th scale for dolls houses as is the ash tray and the Lucky Strikes and matches were from DiD's Albertt Ross.
The stucco walls give it a little more character than just plain walls and I love the small details like the "Keep Out" sign and the electrical hazard sign. The best part is obvious versaltility of the set. Good stuff!
The walls are made from polystyrene ceiling tiles.
I wanted it to be somewhat generic so I could easily re-dress it for different periods. I'm currently preparing it as a WWII backdrop.

Back