SIM Repainted to Red and Gold Poll :)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Repaint a SIM to Red and Gold?

• Total voters
Yeah, the gunmetal does look freakin badass!!!!

I remember seeing a custom SIM with an LED base! The cracks actually glowed!!!! It looked just INSANE!!!!! I believe it was a collector over in the UK that had this commissioned, but the person said they weren't gonna do it again since it was a complicated process :(

No crap, I can't even imagine how the lights would even fit in such a thin base :eek:

Well, I can't wait to see it, I have faith in the painter I am working with Ickwinzs, his work is amazingly well done and looks to match the original red/gold IM perfectly! Also the base will be reapinted as well, here are some pics of the red and gold repaint he did as well as other Stealth repaints, he truly is a great artist:

Here is a link to his Paint Ups Web Page.

Amir, looks good, thanks for the link to his site. His work looks great. To make a good decision though I would think you have to see his work in person or get better pics. Looks great from what is there though.

I will try and post some pics tonight or tomorrow night (late).

...I will post some pics later, and I will do my best to show the paint job. I will see if in the photo you can tell the difference between the one I had painted and the one from SS (legit one).

I cannot tell you how happy I am with this piece (other than one part that was painted red should have been painted gold, but I noticed this only the other day after I had bought this 11 months ago, lol)...

Ok, maybe some of you can help me out here.

Earlier I said that I received the SS custom IM with parts I just noticed may have been an error when compared to SS piece. Then this morning I remembered reading in the forum somewhere that SS made an error in the paint job. They painted gold what should have been red on the forearms. I went and checked out a pic of Iron Man movie, and sure enough, from what I can tell, the forearms of the suit are red.

Looks like my custom was done correctly and SS was done incorrectly on that part?

Just want to confirm that I am not seeing things here.

If I am understanding what your saying the original red and gold release from sideshow did incorrectly paint thier iron man by painting part of the gaunlets gold and on the repaints that I have done, I have painted that area red.

Ickwinzs, since ur here man, I'm thinking about getting a SIM repainted but it'll be a while probably a few months. Would it be a problem to pencil me later in the fall time if I needed ur assistance?

It will be fine just send me a pm when your ready and I am sure we can set a time up to go over all the details and such.

Last edited:
If I am understanding what your saying the original red and gold release from sideshow did incorrectly paint thier iron man by painting part of the gaunlets gold and on the repaints that I have done, I have painted that area red.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant! So my custom was done correctly. Thanks for clarifying this.

Ickwinzs, I hear you do outstanding work. What kind of paints do you use on the Ironmen you have done? What I mean by this; the IM I had done was with metallic automotive paints, the people did super work, am really pleased. Do you use the same?

Thanks again for answering the question.

Ickwinzs, since ur here man, I'm thinking about getting a SIM repainted but it'll be a while probably a few months. Would it be a problem to pencil me later in the fall time if I needed ur assistance?

Rick is a painting MASTER!!, anyone who gets there items painted by him are honoured :rock :bow :wave
x :peace

Yeah i do believe I use the same auto paints ans go through the same process your painters did for yours.
Thanks for the compliment Shell!

Here are the pics requested.

Please keep in mind that these pics of the custom Iron Man simply do not do it justice.

Because it is a gloss finish, there are many hot, or white spots from flash that would normally not be there.

Also, I should have used a tripod to capture how bright the lights on this thing really do shine.

At least you get the idea though. You can really tell the difference when it side by side the original Iron Man in person. In the pics you can see the difference in the gold paint.

It is one of those have to see in person pieces to appreciate.

_MG_2844.jpg

_MG_2848.jpg

_MG_2851.jpg

The head shot at the end does not have crinkled paint or cracking. It does not look like that.

The effect you see on top is the bounce flash from the umbrella being a bit too "hot" and picks up the metallic in the paint.

To really have this type of reflective painted IM done properly, it should have some box lighting, or multiply umbrella lighting with camera on tripod.

looks like they did a nice job for you and used the same clear coat over the paint as I do.

They did Ickwinzs. I wish I had my photo studio set up, I could have done better pics. As I am sure the same with your work, it looks better in person, espescially when you get closer to it.

At the time when I bought it, it was done in Signapore. This is why I included the bases, to show they are authentic, and the backs of the IM. It is also why it cost so much at the time, by the time you add in the price of the Stealth, the paint job, and the shipping, and the fact it was a rage at the time, the price gets up there!

I am at a point in my collection where I have so much I have to sell some stuff. This IM will be a keeper for me.

Ickwinzs, I have a SS IM bust which, I have to say, I am disappointed in the paint job. Not only that, there are parts on the chest that are not even as the light strikes that spot. You run your hand on it, and indeed it is bumpy.

I am not sure what your schedule is like, do you do the IM busts in the same fashion as the IM commiquettes?

Wow, great pictures your IM looks sweet...I can't wait to get one.

Back