Silent Hill: Downpour (originally SH 8)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I the only one that enjoyed Homecoming? Aside from a couple of cheesey character models, I thought it was pretty darn good.

Thanks to plasmid with some details - QTEs, eh? Well, they seem truly inspired by heavy rain. QTE concern me to a degree. Town so large you need a subway? Let's hope we get a decent playable area

I think after about 8 or 9 a series just needs to stop.

Why? You still play Call of Duty, right? That series is in its 12th game or something.

Am I the only one that enjoyed Homecoming? Aside from a couple of cheesey character models, I thought it was pretty darn good.

I liked it, though I can assuredly say that it's probably my least favorite of the series. Well, I suppose it could tie with SH:4.

AmanaMatt said:
Thanks to plasmid with some details - QTEs, eh? Well, they seem truly inspired by heavy rain. QTE concern me to a degree. Town so large you need a subway? Let's hope we get a decent playable area

:wave Thanks for the links to the GI scans.

Yeah the QTEs look like they could be inspired by Heavy Rain, but do you know what else Downpour takes from Heavy Rain?

The heavy rain.

Ba-bum-tssshh. *cue applause and laughter* Thank you, I'll be here all day. Try the veal.

I dig Homecoming. When it came out I devoured that game. Played through it several times and got all the endings.

Why? You still play Call of Duty, right? That series is in its 12th game or something.

Exactly...Took the words right out of my mouth.

Homecoming had a derivative storyline for sure - the whole concept of 'looking for someone' has been done to death in the series, but still. Enjoyed the characterizations and the combat oriented controls

What I don't like about Homecoming and the Double Helix SH are the monster designs. I hope Vatra can think up of really unique enemies for Downpour. So far based on the brief look during the trailer and the GI scans, I'm not getting much of a vibe in that regard. The monster shown in one of the scans has a very standard humanoid shape.

What I don't like about Homecoming and the Double Helix SH are the monster designs. I hope Vatra can think up of really unique enemies for Downpour. So far based on the brief look during the trailer and the GI scans, I'm not getting much of a vibe in that regard. The monster shown in one of the scans has a very standard humanoid shape.

The bosses in Homecoming were pretty gruesome. I liked most of them. Agreed for the most part on the regular enemies.

Although Siam was a pretty nice design, if not a bit derivative of the Closer from SH3.

I liked Siam. Even though I didn't like most of the designs in Homecoming, I thought it did better than SH 0rigins. That game had a floating devil-like creature (with devil horns!), which is about as stock as you can get, IMO.

Big fan of the original, 2, and 3. Also, I played through and enjoyed Origins on the PSP. I hated The Room, wasnt very impressed with Homecoming, and havent tried the Wii title...cant recall the name. Here's hoping for a return to greatness!

For those interested, there is a 4 part comic called Silent Hill Past Life that will tie into this upcoming game....two of the four issues are out, and art is done by a dude named Menton3 - very talented guy - anyways, it takes place in the late 19th century, so how it ties in, we are still guessing

Plasmid & Biojex: yeah, some of the designs in Homecoming were off - especially the hammerhead looking thing. Some I did enjoy such as the creepy doll creature boss. Siam was very similar to the other creatures, but that ended up being on my fav looks, so guess I didnt mind. I liked the movie nurses in the game - but probably just me, cause the dev took a lot of heat with the movie inspired look

Fuious: if you have a Wii, check out Shattered Memores. Keep in mind its a re-invisioning of the original and there is no combat. I personally hated it as the 'scary' moments were announced by the game at certain key points. Since you knew it was coming, took all the scare factor out of it for me.

When the Room was announced, it had the most interesting concept & trailer, IMO. The actual game was less than exciting. They cheated the lenght of it by having you revisit key locations twice each - if they had been given another year to do the game, could have been great. That said, the baby head bird thing was probably my absolute favorite creature design to date

Last edited:
A few more details taken from the Game Informer article.

- Puzzle difficulty selection returns.
- Takes place in South-eastern Silent Hill, an area never explored before.
- Main character Murphy can only carry one weapon at a time, and the weapons break like Origins.
- No story connections to any previous Silent Hill games.
- Multiple endings.
- Previous series trademarks like hospitals and schools will not return.

https://the-horror.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7974

Last edited:
A few more details taken from the Game Informer article.

- Puzzle difficulty selection returns.
- Takes place in South-eastern Silent Hill, an area never explored before.
- Main character Murphy can only carry one weapon at a time, and the weapons break like Origins.
- No story connections to any previous Silent Hill games.
- Multiple endings.
- Previous series trademarks like hospitals and schools will not return.

https://the-horror.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7974

Most of it sounds excellent. One area of concern: breaking weapons; sounds good, but Origins would have a heavy weapon break at times in which a real weapon like that would never break. Ended up being a source of ridicule for the game. Hopefully SH: D makes that more realistic

Most of it sounds excellent. One area of concern: breaking weapons; sounds good, but Origins would have a heavy weapon break at times in which a real weapon like that would never break. Ended up being a source of ridicule for the game. Hopefully SH: D makes that more realistic

Yeah, it was a bit annoying. I'm hoping for the same thing.

I'm glad they're bringing puzzle difficulty back. That will add even more replay value.

I kinda liked the weapon break system in 0rigins. Kept me on my toes and forced me to adapt quickly. Also, I was never really in a position in which I was desperate for a weapon. That game always provided me with enough to get by.

Downpour looks like it's taking it to another level by reducing the amount of weapons you can carry to 1(!). Intense.

I kinda liked the weapon break system in 0rigins. Kept me on my toes and forced me to adapt quickly. Also, I was never really in a position in which I was desperate for a weapon. That game always provided me with enough to get by.

Downpour looks like it's taking it to another level by reducing the amount of weapons you can carry to 1(!). Intense.

I like the weapon break system for the reasons you stated. I just think it needs to be refined so that it feels more organic and not a "meh" game mechanic.

1 weapon! :panic:

I love the emphasis on debilitating an enemy to run.

So can enemies die? Or are they semi-invincible like the ghosts in SH4? As much as I like the idea of disabling an enemy long enough to run away, I don't like the idea of constantly backtracking to locations with tons of leftover enemies to deal with again and again.

So can enemies die? Or are they semi-invincible like the ghosts in SH4? As much as I like the idea of disabling an enemy long enough to run away, I don't like the idea of constantly backtracking to locations with tons of leftover enemies to deal with again and again.

Aw but that's the fun part! thinking "okay I have to go back to this area...crap did I kill that thing or is it still alive...oooh maaaan"

I'm sure they can die though. Unlike those blasted ghosts from 4 where you had to pin em to the ground with that magic blade...actually I kind of liked that :lol

Aw but that's the fun part! thinking "okay I have to go back to this area...crap did I kill that thing or is it still alive...oooh maaaan"

I'm sure they can die though. Unlike those blasted ghosts from 4 where you had to pin em to the ground with that magic blade...actually I kind of liked that :lol

I don't like leaving things unattended when playing games. I'm very methodical in that way. Before leaving a room in any game I have to make sure things are done and squared away unless the game forces me otherwise.

Leaving monsters behind...It's good for tension, but I think I'd tire of it after a few hours. It did in RE games before. If they had a crimson head zombie (REmake) kind of feature I'd be on board with that. I like the idea of things you kill coming back even more powerful if you're not careful.

Suddenly in the mood to play Homecoming...dont think I had my sound system hooked up when it hit, so would be my first SILENT HILL adventure in 5.1

Sounds good. I've got a good pair of turtle beach 5.1 head phones and using it with SH games is almost ungodly nerve-wracking. I'm thinking of going back to SH4 again. It's the only one I've never technically finished.

Oh and someone on another forum posted this, he was a bit worried about what would happen if Silent Hill kept expanding on it's town size (like it seems to do in Downpour):

euq8ue.jpg

:lol (map is actually from a GTA game)

Back