Sideshow, why don´t you always...???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanpedromanrique

Freakzoid
Reaction score
I just got the 12" Frodo. The finish on his face is the best I have ever seen on a SS figure. So my question is: Sideshow, why don´t you always make the same realistic, high quality finish???

It's a legitimate question. The hobbits have their heads cast in a material that is skin colored, so they don't really have much paint on them. This is a result of Sideshow's collaboration with Hot Toys, and they may be doing more of this the future.

They actually look more doll like with the plain plastic skin. But everyone has their preference.

I haven't see them for real yet, but I like what I'm seeing from the pictures that are surfing this board and the web.

I like the Frodo/Sam paint apps head and shoulders above the previous style. It may appear too neat and clean to some but there's less chance of getting a Faramir paint job...

My only nit with using casted material and not paint is the material, for some reason, the surface didn't come out all the same and there's variations of patches on the faces where the light casts a big glare, like some sections have a shine and others very matte. I'd like to see that made consistent in future figures done this way.

The thing I don't like about it is that the plastic makes it look more doll-like... as Justin said above. Plus I noticed that last time they didn't paint the whites of the eyes, just left them skin colored. But with a little work... I'm sure SSC could make it even better.

It looks like they did put white on the eyes, but it didn't come out strong and basically is a subtle fleshtone variant, a bit more would make the eyes pop more for sure.

I have noticed some glossy markings on Frodo's (matt) face. Not exactly scratches, but lines on the matt surface of the face, that are the result of some kind of 'close encounter' with an other material. Are these removable? It's not that noticable, but it would be better if they where not there. I'm afraid more markings will apear if handled in the wrong way. Anyone has the same problem or a solution to the problem?

I don't own these figures, but to get rid of the glossy patches, I would use super fine sandpaper used for automotive paint. Go to Walmart and look in their automotive section for 600 or 1000 grit. It will be so fine, it almost feels smooth. Gently rub it on the plastic and it will give the plastic a matte surface without showing any scratch lines.

I don't own these figures, but to get rid of the glossy patches, I would use super fine sandpaper used for automotive paint. Go to Walmart and look in their automotive section for 600 or 1000 grit. It will be so fine, it almost feels smooth. Gently rub it on the plastic and it will give the plastic a matte surface without showing any scratch lines.

I'm always astonished by the things some of you know! Thanks for the tip!

Yes, it's always a good idea to work your way down from the finest grit you can buy to find the right one for the job. It depends on the hardness of the plastic.

I like when the headssculpts are cast in plastic... but these came out a little off. But I think its a good direction for Sideshow to go in. Especially seeing the great work HT has been cranking out.

Back