Sideshow Superman Man Of Steel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pffff! I am tired but you don't! You can't compare Hot Toys with Sideshow! How many times do we have to repeat ourselves? Hot Toys is using PVC/Plastic in a great way! Their paint application is out of this world! They can captured the likeness awesomely! If Sideshow could do that with using PVC, then NO PROBLEM! But we know that they couldn't! Still some collectors say the same s.hit repeatedly that if HT charge plastic products at 400$, then why Sideshow couldn't?!!! Are you all blind? Can you show me a one example of Sideshow's human face which has the same features with the HT in terms of wrinkles and details? Besides KOTOBUKIYA is a great company which produces awesome PVC statues at lower prices! Still you are defending that the lack of using fabric at their products! I am glad they are not using! I explained millions of time that these clothes are producing in CHINA! The country which is famous with replicating every product with cheapest prices!!! Do you believe that your precious premium format's fabrics are high-quality and durable? Yesterday you were proud to be a collector of POLYSTONE and today you all become the lovers of PLASTIC!:) Be objective for once!
-Explain the reasons of increasing prices!
-Explain the usage of PVC! Can you say that Sideshow could produce life-likeness faces like Hot Toys?
-Why don't you announce the usage of PVC before pre-ordering Man of Steel and Chris Reeve's statues?
-Changing product details is a honest action after taking orders?
-If your fabric at China can't replicate your painting application properly, what is the point of showing a prototype? Are we playing gamble?
-Why don't you explain the reasons of last minute changes to your customers like Red Sonja's skin color? You sell it with a pale skin color cause the base is snowy! For god's sake she is wearing a FUR!!!
-Does Sideshow think all their customers are IDIOT or RETARDED?

Great post and good points :clap
And that's why HT is the King of the 1:6 Figures. I guess SS wants to be the King of 1:4 Figures. :lol
Seriously, how much do you think it cost to make those suits... People who have imported and bought from China manufacturer directly should know, you give them big quantity ES, you will be shocked at how cheap they can produce it.

feel sorry for u guys finding this PF disappointing, i saw on utube one of them got wire coming out of the cape and thats really bad. the main issue for this statue is the quality control in my opinion, the lack of paint job and detailing specially on hands should be not passing the standard sideshow QC

feel sorry for u guys finding this PF disappointing, i saw on utube one of them got wire coming out of the cape and thats really bad. the main issue for this statue is the quality control in my opinion, the lack of paint job and detailing specially on hands should be not passing the standard sideshow QC

Agree!! but I don't know about SS.How to find the solution for this statue complaint.

I think that's part of the problem. As far as I know, no one has gotten one with the typical QC sticker on them.

I'm sending mine back for a replacement b/c after checking it over the weekend I found glue stains/residue by the collar, the wire was coming out of the cape and the cape was looser on that side which makes the cape even more difficult to pose. And the biggest thing, under the back of the cape, the suit is pulled away from the collar and there's a giant gap. I think SS really tried to rush this one to get it out by the end of the year. Hoping that my next one is superior and Reeve comes out ok as well :pray:

I think that's part of the problem. As far as I know, no one has gotten one with the typical QC sticker on them.

I'm sending mine back for a replacement b/c after checking it over the weekend I found glue stains/residue by the collar, the wire was coming out of the cape and the cape was looser on that side which makes the cape even more difficult to pose. And the biggest thing, under the back of the cape, the suit is pulled away from the collar and there's a giant gap. I think SS really tried to rush this one to get it out by the end of the year. Hoping that my next one is superior and Reeve comes out ok as well :pray:

gudluck for your replacement mate, i think SS will have the best solution for this as they have been arround many years in the business just give them more time. and i agree with you reeves should be superior than mos, i personally prefer reeves as superman than cavill ...LOL

All of this hot toys stuff makes me laugh. I own both the 1/6 and the 1/4.
When the proto pics were shown I could see that the Hot Toys paint apps blew away the pf, I think most of us could. The HT figure really is a great likeness and I think anybody ordering the pf understood that the paints would never match the 1/6 whether polystone or pvc or whatever.
This headsculpt isn't as good as the 1/6 but the suit is far better. Even if it is produced in China cheaply, you can see r&d and real thought has gone into replicating the movie look and texture as closely as possible. The HT suit is awful.
I really like my figure, there are no problems on it and the paint is far better than I would have imagined a factory job on a human movie figure could have been.
I'm unhappy about SS and the pvc switcheroo and have complained about the way they did it. I also think if they are producing pvc figures they need to be priced accordingly. I believe everybody who bought this figure should have received a reward points rebate of 50 bucks or something as a gesture of goodwill on the company's part for the way they handled this. There was obviously an issue that hit home hence the changes to the Reeve Pf.
Whatever, I'm keeping mine and it sits alongside my HT Mos. I collect characters, not statues or figures. Right now I'm happy with both.

Since I collect SS, I never return their product.(Might be the return cost will be high for international collector as me)
But for this statue.I should be to keep holding it in the package for wait some solutions by SS.or no needed?

I think the main thing that would have alleviated all these issues, is that Sideshow should have sold it at around the price point of $299.
I think eventhough Sideshow says its actually costing them more with the switch, an overwhelming majority do not believe this, and since most PVC figures are cheaper, this figure should also should have been cheaper. So at $299, I think a lot of people may have been ok with the switch, and it wouldnt have blown up to this stage.

:exactly:

Now, unfortunately the only ones who do not collect any Hot Toys and only collect 1/4 Polystone PF figures would still be screwed because it goes against
what they collect. So to them, its like buying a bigger Hot Toys.

No I think to them it's just like having a big plastic cheap figure, since the PJ and head sculpt is not up to par with Hot Toys one.

I think on the other end, for those who collect not only 1/4 PF but also Hot toys figures, had SS been forthcoming and announced the PVC switch...you'll have the initial "Nooooooooo...we want Polystone"...but would eventually potentially warm up to it had the figure been around $299.
Let's face it, since its switched to PVC, the comparison now is closer to a Hot Toys figure.
So getting an equivalent of 1/4 HT at $299 is not bad at all.

Personally I think the only thing that makes it close to a Hot Toys product is what it is made out of (AKA PVC) and probably the nice looking suit, since the paint job is garbage.

the thing is, right now, beside not being happy with the switch to PVC, people are also feeling ripped off cause its plastic but its still $400.
For a $400 figure, it SHOULD have been polystone.

On that note though, mine is coming in tomorrow...and I am still quite optimistic that I will like the figure in hand though.

Yep especially, considering it is a statue and not a high quality or realistic 1/4 figure with great likeness and paint job.

Pffff! I am tired but you don't! You can't compare Hot Toys with Sideshow! How many times do we have to repeat ourselves? Hot Toys is using PVC/Plastic in a great way! Their paint application is out of this world! They can captured the likeness awesomely! If Sideshow could do that with using PVC, then NO PROBLEM! But we know that they couldn't! Still some collectors say the same s.hit repeatedly that if HT charge plastic products at 400$, then why Sideshow couldn't?!!! Are you all blind? Can you show me a one example of Sideshow's human face which has the same features with the HT in terms of wrinkles and details? Besides KOTOBUKIYA is a great company which produces awesome PVC statues at lower prices! Still you are defending that the lack of using fabric at their products! I am glad they are not using! I explained millions of time that these clothes are producing in CHINA! The country which is famous with replicating every product with cheapest prices!!! Do you believe that your precious premium format's fabrics are high-quality and durable? Yesterday you were proud to be a collector of POLYSTONE and today you all become the lovers of PLASTIC!:) Be objective for once!

Regardless, the suit still looks nice though, even if it is cheaply made it still looks amazing IMO!

-Explain the reasons of increasing prices!
-Explain the usage of PVC! Can you say that Sideshow could produce life-likeness faces like Hot Toys?
-Why don't you announce the usage of PVC before pre-ordering Man of Steel and Chris Reeve's statues?
-Changing product details is a honest action after taking orders?
-If your fabric at China can't replicate your painting application properly, what is the point of showing a prototype? Are we playing gamble?
-Why don't you explain the reasons of last minute changes to your customers like Red Sonja's skin color? You sell it with a pale skin color cause the base is snowy! For god's sake she is wearing a FUR!!!

Wow you should send this letter to Sideshow! Very informative! ;)

-Does Sideshow think all their customers are IDIOT or RETARDED?

Well so many people keep defending them, whether the head sculpts on them are poorly painted, or in this case the change from Polystone to PVC, people are just accepting it. The only way Sideshow will get the message is if they get so many returns or cancelled orders that they will have no choice but to upgrade their standards.

It is my understanding that none of these statues have the sticker.:dunno

Sorry but do you think QC sticker still does matter?

:goodpost:

It doesn't matter at all as I have had to return a statue with that sticker that looked like someone spray painted graffiti over the abs.

All of this hot toys stuff makes me laugh. I own both the 1/6 and the 1/4.
When the proto pics were shown I could see that the Hot Toys paint apps blew away the pf, I think most of us could. The HT figure really is a great likeness and I think anybody ordering the pf understood that the paints would never match the 1/6 whether polystone or pvc or whatever. This headsculpt isn't as good as the 1/6 but the suit is far better. Even if it is produced in China cheaply, you can see r&d and real thought has gone into replicating the movie look and texture as closely as possible. The HT suit is awful.

Hence why so many people have done mods to it both by changing the color and where the cape goes.

I really like my figure, there are no problems on it and the paint is far better than I would have imagined a factory job on a human movie figure could have been.
I'm unhappy about SS and the pvc switcheroo and have complained about the way they did it. I also think if they are producing pvc figures they need to be priced accordingly. I believe everybody who bought this figure should have received a reward points rebate of 50 bucks or something as a gesture of goodwill on the company's part for the way they handled this. There was obviously an issue that hit home hence the changes to the Reeve Pf.
Whatever, I'm keeping mine and it sits alongside my HT Mos. I collect characters, not statues or figures. Right now I'm happy with both.

Will you be getting the Reeve PF then, since you like this statue?

Last edited:
If I could afford it, I'd buy the Reeve PF. It's Superman and it's Reeve in 1/4 and it means a lot to me. I did preorder the Reeve EX but cancelled and ordered the MOS instead. Even though people are saying the MOS proto was poorly received, it looked far better than the Reeve PF. I don't think the likeness with Reeve is there and I hate the pose (I know it's not too dissimilar to MOS but his limbs looks thinner) and I think the base is weird.
I also worry about the factory paints and the scale stitching on the chest and cape shield.
I think the MOS is the better looking PF out of the two hence my purchase of it.
Plastic or polystone now doesn't really come into it as I like the MOS and I'm keeping it.
The price is an issue. TBH, I hope the plastic thing annoys enough fans to cancel or send back and then come next Spoooktacular or whatever we might see Reeve on sale with double rewards or something. $430 is a lot of money to pay for a figure I like but don't really love (no matter how much I want to).

If I could afford it, I'd buy the Reeve PF. It's Superman and it's Reeve in 1/4 and it means a lot to me. I did preorder the Reeve EX but cancelled and ordered the MOS instead. Even though people are saying the MOS proto was poorly received, it looked far better than the Reeve PF.

Yeah I saw more hate for the Reeve PF proto than MOS one. People didn't start hating the MOS until they saw the sculpt on Hot Toys one. Nevertheless, even though most people thought the Hot Toys MOS sculpt was better, people still wanted the MOS PF because the costume looked so well done but people did complain about the pose.

I don't think the likeness with Reeve is there and I hate the pose (I know it's not too dissimilar to MOS but his limbs looks thinner) and I think the base is weird.

There is some resemblance, but it is no where near as good as Arnie Kims, it looks more like how Reeve looked after the Superman films unfortunately. :(

I also worry about the factory paints and the scale stitching on the chest and cape shield.
I think the MOS is the better looking PF out of the two hence my purchase of it.
Plastic or polystone now doesn't really come into it as I like the MOS and I'm keeping it.
The price is an issue. TBH, I hope the plastic thing annoys enough fans to cancel or send back and then come next Spoooktacular or whatever we might see Reeve on sale with double rewards or something. $430 is a lot of money to pay for a figure I like but don't really love (no matter how much I want to).

Yeah that would be good, I agree that $430 is way over priced especially now that we know it is also PVC and not polystone.

Last edited:
Personally I think the only thing that makes it close to a Hot Toys product is what it is made out of (AKA PVC) and probably the nice looking suit, since the paint job is garbage.

As one who owns this piece, I find this statement inflammatory. If you're trying to say that the paint job on a 1/4 scale PF from Sideshow is not as good at the 1/6 scale paint job on a Hot Toys piece, of course you're right. But the paint job on the MoS PF is at least as good if not better than any other SS PF piece I own or have examined personally.

We keep getting these comments out of people who don't own, and have never viewed the piece in person, meaning that they are making these judgments based on second hand accounts. And my judgement is that a good number of the less than stellar reviews on the paint and finish of this piece that we're seeing on YouTube and elsewhere that folks are naturally looking to are coming from people who can't (or won't) separate their angst over the PVC issue from the overall quality of the piece.

Some owners have reported some QC issues which is not unheard of a any large production run requiring hand finishing. We hope these customers receive pleasing replacements. But to call the paint job on this piece garbage is not only ridiculous, but such a statement also pushes people who are doing their best to try to honestly gauge whether they want the piece or not into unnecessarily harsh opinions before they have a chance to scrutinize its merits and shortcomings for themselves.

Last edited:
I think the main thing that would have alleviated all these issues, is that Sideshow should have sold it at around the price point of $299.
I think eventhough Sideshow says its actually costing them more with the switch, an overwhelming majority do not believe this, and since most PVC figures are cheaper, this figure should also should have been cheaper. So at $299, I think a lot of people may have been ok with the switch, and it wouldnt have blown up to this stage.

Now, unfortunately the only ones who do not collect any Hot Toys and only collect 1/4 Polystone PF figures would still be screwed because it goes against
what they collect. So to them, its like buying a bigger Hot Toys.

I think on the other end, for those who collect not only 1/4 PF but also Hot toys figures, had SS been forthcoming and announced the PVC switch...you'll have the initial "Nooooooooo...we want Polystone"...but would eventually potentially warm up to it had the figure been around $299.
Let's face it, since its switched to PVC, the comparison now is closer to a Hot Toys figure.
So getting an equivalent of 1/4 HT at $299 is not bad at all.
the thing is, right now, beside not being happy with the switch to PVC, people are also feeling ripped off cause its plastic but its still $400.
For a $400 figure, it SHOULD have been polystone.

On that note though, mine is coming in tomorrow...and I am still quite optimistic that I will like the figure in hand though.

No one seems to be taking into the account the reason for the PVC - the all cloth costume. It's an whole other element that must be designed, the material has to be custom printed, it has to be sewn - none of these steps are involved in producing a PVC statue from other companies.

What I don't get is why they say they switched to PVC b/c of the cloth costume (it's been awhile since I check but I remember that being a reason someone was given)? Sooo many Polystone PFs have tight fitting cloth costumes such as the Comic Sups and Bats PF's. If the reason for PVC is the costume, I don't buy it

No one seems to be taking into the account the reason for the PVC - the all cloth costume. It's an whole other element that must be designed, the material has to be custom printed, it has to be sewn - none of these steps are involved in producing a PVC statue from other companies.

What I don't get is why they say they switched to PVC b/c of the cloth costume (it's been awhile since I check but I remember that being a reason someone was given)? Sooo many Polystone PFs have tight fitting cloth costumes such as the Comic Sups and Bats PF's. If the reason for PVC is the costume, I don't buy it

It has been taken into account. Many people have repeated what SS said,
and I know even on one of the Reviews, one guy mentioned Sideshow's response...
but the thing is, everyone is saying the same thing, they dont believe Sideshow's reason for the switch.
I personally dont believe it as well.
I think its just damage control...People are mad, so SS NEEDED to make a statement for the switch, that's other
than the obvious choice of maximizing profits and charging the same.

Last edited:
Anyone want to see what a PVC Premium figure looks like? Here you go:
cd736ef22bdcdd8198c14a675cd1a855.jpg

94f07744443299bcf9cfc7cfb2107802.jpg

d1722dba8b70cfeeca749d2c002b7d8a.jpg

Seriously.... If this is what SSC items are going o start looking like then I am going to get out of the game.... this looks awful... Perhaps it won't look as bad in person... But I don't care... There is no excuse for this... Not for 400.00... If I want seams like that I will stick with NECA...

I love SSC but if this is the way of the future then I think they might loose a lot of collectors...

IMO the photos above show the quality of a 200.00 figure... TOPS... And that is for the clothing and a decent sculpt.. Nothing else.

Seriously.... If this is what SSC items are going o start looking like then I am going to get out of the game.... this looks awful... Perhaps it won't look as bad in person... But I don't care... There is no excuse for this... Not for 400.00... If I want seams like that I will stick with NECA...

I love SSC but if this is the way of the future then I think they might loose a lot of collectors...

IMO the photos above show the quality of a 200.00 figure... TOPS... And that is for the clothing and a decent sculpt.. Nothing else.

Wow, that really looks like ****.

I don't think I've ever heard of a company choosing a material that is more expensive to produce and still charging the standard rate...

There's no way you can justify 400 bucks for a big plastic statue.

You're right. I can't believe what a steal we are all getting. This is easily a $400 dollar piece in materials cost alone. The next PVC piece won't come so cheaply!

Back