Sideshow Superman Man Of Steel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry but do you think QC sticker still does matter?
not necessarily, but for me, seeing that sticker would've made me feel better than the immediate paint smell that came out like if they got it hot of the press and packed it in and let it dry on the boat ride over. NONE of the PF's I have/had ever smelt like this guy upon opening.

gudluck for your replacement mate, i think SS will have the best solution for this as they have been arround many years in the business just give them more time. and i agree with you reeves should be superior than mos, i personally prefer reeves as superman than cavill ...LOL
thanks man! :hi5:
It is my understanding that none of these statues have the sticker.:dunno

which is unfortunate. for me, it makes it feel like a quality piece even with it being PVC

As one who owns this piece, I find this statement inflammatory. If you're trying to say that the paint job on a 1/4 scale PF from Sideshow is not as good at the 1/6 scale paint job on a Hot Toys piece, of course you're right.

Yeah that is what I meant, my bad. :slap

But the paint job on the MoS PF is at least as good if not better than any other SS PF piece I own or have examined personally.

We keep getting these comments out of people who don't own, and have never viewed the piece in person, meaning that they are making these judgments based on second hand accounts. And my judgement is that a good number of the less than stellar reviews on the paint and finish of this piece that we're seeing on YouTube and elsewhere that folks are naturally looking to are coming from people who can't (or won't) separate their angst over the PVC issue from the overall quality of the piece.

It certainly looks it to, but the paint job on most human Sideshows PFs are pretty bad IMO. Guess I am use to be spoiled by the paint jobs by Hot Toys and EB. :eek:

Some owners have reported some QC issues which is not unheard of a any large production run requiring hand finishing. We hope these customers receive pleasing replacements. But to call the paint job on this piece garbage is not only ridiculous, but such a statement also pushes people who are doing their best to try to honestly gauge whether they want the piece or not into unnecessarily harsh opinions before they have a chance to scrutinize its merits and shortcomings for themselves.

Geeze man you act like I have offended your family, calm down man it's just a toy. :chillpill:

Last edited:
What I don't get is why they say they switched to PVC b/c of the cloth costume (it's been awhile since I check but I remember that being a reason someone was given)? Sooo many Polystone PFs have tight fitting cloth costumes such as the Comic Sups and Bats PF's. If the reason for PVC is the costume, I don't buy it

I don't think most people do, because it doesn't explain the reason why they also chose to make the Reever PF PVC as well.

It has been taken into account. Many people have repeated what SS said,
and I know even on one of the Reviews, one guy mentioned Sideshow's response...
but the thing is, everyone is saying the same thing, they dont believe Sideshow's reason for the switch.
I personally dont believe it as well.
I think its just damage control...People are mad, so SS NEEDED to make a statement for the switch, that's other
than the obvious choice of maximizing profits and charging the same

:exactly:

You're right. I can't believe what a steal we are all getting. This is easily a $400 dollar piece in materials cost alone. The next PVC piece won't come so cheaply!
:rotfl

Last edited:
This thing and Reeve will be discounted heavily. The furore about the PVC use has damaged the sales of this. I know we're getting into 1/6 vs 1/4 paint jobs but I agree with Q.G. This paintjob is easily up to scratch with other "human" SS paint apps. If this was polystone, I think they would have sold the remainder of the edition. As PVC, people are staying away and Sideshow have to take notice of this.

Discounting does me no good as I paid (albeit I used some rewards etc) but I might really be tempted with the Reeve if it drops $100 or so.

Geeze man you act like I have offended your family, calm down man it's just a toy. :chillpill:

:lol I appreciate that, but I assure you I have proper perspective on the subject. But let’s be fair, we’re conversing about this on a Sideshow collectibles forum, so that kinda limits the breadth of the discussion, right? :lol. And if you’re not reasonably passionate about the subject matter, then what are any of us doing here? For the record, I don’t think your posts are any less passionate than mine!

Just to clarify my rant above, I’m just thinking that at this point many of us are basing our opinions of the piece on the reviews that are appearing online from people who are so pissed about PVC, that they just want to trash EVERYTHING about the figure they can list, and that I feel is unfair.

We always have Proto to Production let down on all of these SS PFs due primarily to factory paint apps vs. the love and care each proto receives in this regard. This has been the case on every one I’ve ever owned (and frankly I think SS should do something about this for our sake and theirs). I just think that on MoS, people are taking the proto-production let down and running wild trying to attach any negative they can make stick (the YouTube review from Statue Doc is a clear example of this IMHO).

So, the bottom line for me is that if you place this PF on a shelf with the rest of your PFs, it’s gonna look great with the right lighting, just like all the rest. I can make that statement because right now he’s on the shelf with all the rest of mine as we speak…and he looks great.

It’s a nice finished project, but I won’t be buying any more SS PFs using PVC unless the price is cut substantially.

tHIgWa.jpg
LKQ8Fr.jpg

Last edited:
:lol I appreciate that, but I assure you I have proper perspective on the subject. But let’s be fair, we’re conversing about this on a Sideshow collectibles forum, so that kinda limits the breadth of the discussion, right? :lol. And if you’re not reasonably passionate about the subject matter, then what are any of us doing here? For the record, I don’t think your posts are any less passionate than mine!

Well that's true I guess as I am still pretty pissed off about what the statue looks like. However, you seem to be really hurt when someone puts this statue down like they are offending you personally. I am sorry that I offended you when I said the paint job on your statue looked like garbage. As I said before I think most if not all human PF paint jobs look bad. It's just my opinion man, doesn't make it fact, what you said is fact in that Hot Toys paint jobs are better.

Just to clarify my rant above, I’m just thinking that at this point many of us are basing our opinions of the piece on the reviews that are appearing online from people who are so pissed about PVC, that the just want to trash EVERYTHING about the figure they can list, and that I feel is unfair.

Yeah people can't get over the PVC factor. The major reason the PVC factor concerns me is that I feel the costume would of looked better if they chose to use Polystone. However, I now think that even if Sideshow used polystone it still might not be as good as the proto since they messed up the suit on the Batman PF, not saying they messed up the suit on this PF but it just doesn't look anywhere near as good as the proto IMO.

We always have Proto to Production let down on all of these SS PFs due primarily to factory paint apps vs. the love and care each proto receives in this regard. This has been the case on every one I’ve ever owned (and frankly I think SS should do something about this for our sake and theirs).

I agree but I think hell will freeze over before that happens. :(

I just think that on MoS, people are taking the proto-production let down and running wild trying to attach any negative they can make stick (the YouTube review from Statue Doc is a clear example of this IMHO).

Yeah he seems to be more concerned about the weight of the product, although he did mention that the suit is not as tight as the polystone proto is, which just confirms what I think.

So, the bottom line for me is that if you place this PF on a shelf with the rest of your PFs, it’s gonna look great with the right lighting, just like all the rest.

That might be the case but sometimes people want something to not only look nice but to feel like high quality and weight it seems is a factor in that. I know some people are upset with some of their 1/4 scale action figures by EB because they are not as heavy as Hot Toys ones and so they feel like they bought something that is poor quality and feels cheap.

I can make that statement because right now he’s on the shelf with all the rest of mine as we speak…and he looks great.

It’s a nice finished project, but I won’t be buying any more SS PFs using PVC unless the price is cut substantially.

tHIgWa.jpg

Now that is something we can both agree on. :wink1:

Last edited:
Got my Man of Steel last night! :yess:
Excuse the Captain America Backdrop...havent had a chance to print a Man of Steel Backdrop for it.

I'll post a little review here in a little bit, but for the moment, enjoy the pics. :)

Got my Man of Steel last night! :yess:
Excuse the Captain America Backdrop...havent had a chance to print a Man of Steel Backdrop for it.

I'll post a little review here in a little bit, but for the moment, enjoy the pics. :)

Dude!!!

He looks GREAT! What think you?? Looking forward to the review...

My Review for the Big Blue! I apologize if its a little long. :)

Pros:

*** The Suit...its AMAZING!!! It really looks like the same suit that was used in the movie. The color, along with the silver reflective surface underneath captures the suit worn by Cavill. Best thing about this PF!!! :clap

*** The likeness...Its not bad. The bad thing here is that of course, it will be compared to Hot Toys sculpt, and the HT version happens to be one of the best sculpts by Hot Toys. HT nailed the likeness down. Sideshow's...you can tell its Henry Cavill, but the likeness is just not strong.

*** The eyes...I cant tell if its a separate piece or if its painted. It almost looks like the whole eyes...from the white part to the Iris is separate, kinda like PERS, but much better implemented. It may be painted, but its really done well.

*** Cape...much better than I thought. I really like the material. Although the wires are not as strong, you can definitely pull off dynamic flow of the cape.
The thing about wired capes is that you have to have lots and lots of patience.
On my Tony Meis' EB wired cape, I swear I spent at least two hours futzing with it...but after I was finished, I was happy.
Contratry to what most people wanted to do, I personally prefer it to just drape down looking more natural.
Also the color is nice. I was worried cause some of the pics I've seen, they look a little bright. They are dark enough in hand.

*** The "S" Shield...well well done. This is one of the mods I wanted to do on my HT MOS but skipped, cause the few that tried it did not succeed in giving it that reflective look. There's several scenes in the movie that the shield was highly reflective, almost like its metallic.
Sideshow was able to replicate this. Looks really sweet when its hit by LED lighting.

*** Paint...after having owned several PFs, and seeing other PF on this forum, this is one of the best PF human paintjob. Of course, it doesnt compare to Enterbay or Hot Toys, but to compare it to other PFs, the paintjob is a really good.

and now...for the eventual opinion on PVC.
There's a good and a bad.
Let's start with the good. Because SS used the same paint method, and the way it is painted on PVC, I honestly couldnt tell if it was PVC or polystone.
I put it side by side next to my Captain America TFA PF, and they looked identical. So if I had no idea and see it on display, unless I was told it was PVC, I could have easily assumed it was also Polystone.

Now the bad...I am in Agreement here with DarkAvatar, I think what eventually got lost in translation by switching to PVC is the Physique losts some of its definition.
For those who dont know, eventhough Henry Cavill was ripped and huge in the movie, he still had to wear a muscle suit. They said no matter how muscular the person is, when they wear those costume, they lose a lot of detail. So to compensate, they actor puts a muscle suit, then the costume on top of it.
I think polystone has an element to it that replicates this technique.
When you look at all the muscular PF's with cloth, the figure's physique is just outstanding.
This is one of Sideshow's strengths. Their muscular PF's physique looks so natural. You can tell that their sculptors have studied anatomy.

First off...this is just my opinion and by no means, claiming its fact. But from my observation, I think way the polystone behave, when you put a cloth on top of it, the cloth sticks to every crevice, the cloth hugs its stone-like texture well, that you see all the contours of the physique.
It gives it a real natural look. Much like the muscle suit.
That's why the proto looked ripped, and the whole body itself looked more natural.
I think when they switched to PVC, maybe because of its smooth plastic surface, the suit doesnt stick to the body, the suit is tight, but the cloth doesnt stick to the little crevices, that's why you lost a lot of the abs definition in comparison to the proto. Not just the abs, but the body doesnt look as natural as the proto.
When you look at the proto, it was typical Sideshow phisique masterpiece, the body looked very natural.
So, with the pvc, its kinda looks like Henry wearing the suit without the muscle suit underneath. You can tell the body is muscular, but its not as defined as the proto.
The lighting helps a lot...but still, when you look at it...the physique is just not as natural looking as most PFs, like the comic superman for the example.

Now, the body still looks good, and with all the positives this figure has, it definitely outweighs the bad.
The figure does not look cheap at all because its PVC.
That was one of my main worries, that since its now pvc, when you look at it, its now in comparison to the other PVC figures.
No, not at all, it still looks high quality.
So, overall, I'm happy with it. I personally think its a great looking figure.

Remy, I love your collection and photos! You have a very distinctive style but we all know that this kind of photography could be very illusive! Anyway if you love it, congrats to you:) But let's forget everything for a minute, why nobody mentioned that his neck is too LONG! Let me show you:

ssOMOal.jpg

Remy, I love your collection and photos! You have a very distinctive style but we all know that this kind of photography could be very illusive! Anyway if you love it, congrats to you:) But let's forget everything for a minute, why nobody mentioned that his neck is too LONG! Let me show you:

ssOMOal.jpg

Thanks man for the compliment. :)

As far as the neck, I honestly dont think its too long. If it is, maybe miniscule...but not enough to think unnatural.

Back