1/6 Sideshow Star Wars Scout Trooper 1/6th Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it just the cleanliness of the body pouches on this that are the issue? When I've looked for movie stills the body harness does seem lighter than the armour but it's the pouches that need dirtying up.
Helmet is wrong, mostly because it’s elongated but alot is off about it.
Forearm armor is too small.
Blaster is too small.
Knee armor is wrong, too boxey.
Cod piece is too small.
Armor is too weathered, should be white with weathering not weathered all over. Especially with the white as new cumberbund and pouches.

Helmet is wrong, mostly because it’s elongated but alot is off about it.
Forearm armor is too small.
Blaster is too small.
Knee armor is wrong, too boxey.
Cod piece is too small.
Armor is too weathered, should be white with weathering not weathered all over. Especially with the white as new cumberbund and pouches.

So quite inaccurate then. ;)

Only to those who care. I never let “boxy knee pads” spoil my enjoyment of this figure.

That is part of it. I really enjoyed this figure until I started researching the armor and helmet.

So great figure but a Very artistic interpretation.

I just had a similar conversation on the SSC Snowspeeder Luke thread. The actual images of Luke's helmet showed the weathering on the SSC is too much but mentally I always thought it looked right, before the direct comparison photos. It still doesn't take away from the fact I think it's a superb figure though.

The Biker Scout looks pretty good to me from the images I've seen but when direct comparisons are made and the differences highlighted they're certainly apparent. The size of the blaster definitely looks a touch too small.

Is there any chance this figure has been tweaked from the 2014 version or just a straight re-run of it?

Nah, not four years after purchase. It had nice shelf presence but I'm upgrading my remaining 1/6 scale figures to PF's anyway so I'm not going to sweat it. Silly way for that set to end though. I can reassemble the scout for resale but the bike is toast.

Khev, I bet you could sell the broken speeder bike for something. It might look nice at the feet of the HT Endor Luke. :rock

I don't understand why Sideshow does characters that Hot Toys are sure to release imminently to a higher quality. This may get a few pre-orders but when HT puts theirs up, I'd imagine most would flock to that.

In my opinion, Sideshow should stick to the niche characters that HT is too big for but are perfect for those who want a fuller collection - the bounty hunters, the Jabba's palace workers, the various rebels (Ackbar), the prequel characters, the extended universe characters - plenty to choose from.

I don't understand why Sideshow does characters that Hot Toys are sure to release imminently to a higher quality. This may get a few pre-orders but when HT puts theirs up, I'd imagine most would flock to that.

In my opinion, Sideshow should stick to the niche characters that HT is too big for but are perfect for those who want a fuller collection - the bounty hunters, the Jabba's palace workers, the various rebels (Ackbar), the prequel characters, the extended universe characters - plenty to choose from.

Aliens and Droids...THAT'S what SS does great!

Pretty sure they teased this figure before Hot Toys even announced having the license for Star Wars and have already released it. They're just re-releasing it at this point as they are the speeder bike.

I just had a similar conversation on the SSC Snowspeeder Luke thread. The actual images of Luke's helmet showed the weathering on the SSC is too much but mentally I always thought it looked right, before the direct comparison photos. It still doesn't take away from the fact I think it's a superb figure though.

The Biker Scout looks pretty good to me from the images I've seen but when direct comparisons are made and the differences highlighted they're certainly apparent. The size of the blaster definitely looks a touch too small.

Is there any chance this figure has been tweaked from the 2014 version or just a straight re-run of it?

This. I know the helmet and knee pads are inaccurate, the blaster too small and the weathering a bit off on the Biker Scout and the weathering a bit off on Snowspeeder Luke helmet, but I'm not staring at comparison images when I'm looking at them on the shelf, so immediately to me they look fantastic when I look at them and I'm satisfied with what I have. If Sideshow on this new Biker Scout version or HT on their eventual Biker Scout look more accurate, no problem; these are troopers that have slight armor variations on screen so a second or third one on the shelf doesn't bother me in the slightest.

The Sideshow Tie Fighter Pilot and AT-AT driver look fantastic and I doubt HT could make theirs any better (maybe include that tube on the Tie Pilot chest device which hardly anyone knows should be there). Also Sideshow's figures cost less so to say that HT is higher quality is arguable.
If you're basing your statement on the Jedi Luke figure issue, it costs a lot of money just to develop these things so Sideshow probably had to release their Jedi Luke in the hopes of making something off their investment. My main question regarding the Jedi Luke issue is what idiot at Lucasfilm Licensing allowed the issue to happen in the first place, their job is to coordinate with these companies that are making such similar product so that they don't compete with one another at the same time. The Jedi Luke issue is Lucasfilm Licensing's fault, you cant really blame Sideshow for it when they might not know what HT is developing.

This. I know the helmet and knee pads are inaccurate, the blaster too small and the weathering a bit off on the Biker Scout and the weathering a bit off on Snowspeeder Luke helmet, but I'm not staring at comparison images when I'm looking at them on the shelf, so immediately to me they look fantastic when I look at them and I'm satisfied with what I have. If Sideshow on this new Biker Scout version or HT on their eventual Biker Scout look more accurate, no problem; these are troopers that have slight armor variations on screen so a second or third one on the shelf doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Weathering certainly isn't something that bothers me. I can't imagine them getting back to Endor base with one of them looking a bit dirty and the other bikers saying "Oi! Your armour's looking a bit peaky. It shouldn't be any dirtier than mine... Go and wash it! You're buggering up the accuracy of our figures!'
Although maybe one would say 'Neville, your armour's almost grey now but how the hell do you keep that cummerbund and those pouches spotless?!'

Weathering certainly isn't something that bothers me. I can't imagine them getting back to Endor base with one of them looking a bit dirty and the other bikers saying "Oi! Your armour's looking a bit peaky. It shouldn't be any dirtier than mine... Go and wash it! You're buggering up the accuracy of our figures!'
Although maybe one would say 'Neville, your armour's almost grey now but how the hell do you keep that cummerbund and those pouches spotless?!'

:lol True, but for me the unevenness doesn't bother me as much in hand.
I've toyed with the idea of painting a wash on the cummerbund pouch belt to make it look a bit more even, now I'll wait and see if Sideshow corrects the issue before I do any modding.

The Sideshow Tie Fighter Pilot and AT-AT driver look fantastic and I doubt HT could make theirs any better (maybe include that tube on the Tie Pilot chest device which hardly anyone knows should be there). Also Sideshow's figures cost less so to say that HT is higher quality is arguable.
If you're basing your statement on the Jedi Luke figure issue, it costs a lot of money just to develop these things so Sideshow probably had to release their Jedi Luke in the hopes of making something off their investment. My main question regarding the Jedi Luke issue is what idiot at Lucasfilm Licensing allowed the issue to happen in the first place, their job is to coordinate with these companies that are making such similar product so that they don't compete with one another at the same time. The Jedi Luke issue is Lucasfilm Licensing's fault, you cant really blame Sideshow for it when they might not know what HT is developing.

I think this is the real issue. Sideshow does not cost less. They have actually been more when you compare what a figure comes with between a Sideshow figure and a HT one. The X-Wing Lukes were both crazy expensive for them to have been bare bones. The SS Jedi Luke is the only "reasonably priced" figure in a while but that's probably only so they could compete with the HT version, and they're probably selling it at a loss! It used to be that SS figures were a good amount less, and that was a good niche for them to be in. They were of a slightly inferior quality than HT, but since they cost less, it was worth it to tolerate the issues a SS figure would have. Now that they're both roughly the same price, and with SS even being more expensive, it's an obvious choice to go with HT, which has a better product AND costs less! Like many have said here, it would be in SS's best interest to focus on aliens and robots that HT wouldn't get around to doing. SShas proven they can do them well, and they would have no competition from HT.

I will say that I would have no desire for a HT Scoutie since I'm pretty happy with the Sideshow version. The (minor to me) problems it has don't bother me and it wouldn't be worth the trouble to upgrade.

Yeah it used to be true that they were cheaper, but not anymore. And yes, for what you get, plus shoddy paintwork on human sculpts, it's probably better to wait for the hot toys version. I happen to like the scout trooper and he looks fine on the hasbro speeder.

Ridiculous "release" but not a surprising one. Sideshow continues to eke out every last nickel they can with as little work and innovation as possible.

Back