Sideshow Star Wars License

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would be a shame, but not a surprise. From what I understand their R&D department is pretty much non existent now. Still even without that they have a good chunk of figures they could reissue:

Snow speeder Luke
Hoth Luke
Hoth Han
Arc trooper fives
Arc trooper echo
Captain rex
Commander wolffe
Commander cody phase 1
Deluxe clones

Etc etc... when they have figures like that fetching big prices on the secondhand market it makes you wonder why they felt the need to directly compete with deluxe Jedi Luke :slap

Said they will still be distributing but not producing new Star Wars.

Good news to me.

This has nothing to do with Star Wars or Sideshow but: My gut tells me over the next 5-7 years 1/6th collecting might swing to 1/10th or 1/12th scale -- not sure which will take off. More room and less stress about details seems like a benefit to collectors.

When you start seeing collectors here asking for a 1/12th section, you know things are a changin'

Last edited:
Good news to me.

This has nothing to do with Star Wars or Sideshow but: My gut tells me over the next 5-7 years 1/6th collecting might swing to 1/10th or 1/12th scale -- not sure which will take off. More room and less stress about details seems like a benefit to collectors.

When you start seeing collectors here asking for a 1/12th section, you know things are a changin'

I collected 1/12 in the past and it lacks visual impact compared to larger scales; plus the mixed media aspect usually suffers, although that Palm Empire stuff and another line of 1/12 military accomplished some amazing work at that scale.

1/10 might work well, but it really doesn’t seem to be a widely produced scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1/6th started out slow too. No one would believe the level of detail that eventually became the hobby if you look at what we were satisfied with when this began in 2000, nor would they believe the prices.

But price and space have always been an issue. And both of those get great relief in a smaller scale. I believe the 1/10 or 1/12 scale will become more popular if they give those figures the kind of detail a collector would want.

Like all things, its starts small. You buy one or two things just for fun. Then you have to get one figure from each of your favorite movies. Then you need a couple more. And off you go...

Agreed, a response from CS doesn’t mean much. I still hope they at least release the Lando, but as uneven as their figures are I’d also be fine if HT decided to go deeper. But, it just doesn’t seem like their style to want to offer more niche SW characters.

When SSC was teasing the McQuarrie style people starting getting excited about SSC again. Even their Mythos line raised a few eyebrows, there is room for SSC to go in a more niche way, make things that people wouldn't, get in conceptual, etc but they don't really want to.

If it is true it's not a good thing, especially with no new movies to keep the Star Wars hype at a high level. Not sure what the future will hold for Hot Toys either with RDJ, Evans, etc retiring from Marvel. I just hope they continue making OT Star Wars figures for years to come.

HT's Marvel line will be just fine, I'm sure their Phase IV will produce a new "Iron Man" for them to dip into and they will always go back and retool and make things die-cast etc.

SSC does not compete with HT. They offer figs that HT does not.

This is only partially true. When ESB Vader was coming out SSC had their Ultimate Vader which was a direct competition. Then ROTJ Luke came out from HT and you've got an "Ultimate Luke" from SSC. There are few other examples if you want to really dig deep of figures coming out or being announced in close proximity of one another. They do compete with HT quite often, that the competition is usually short lived.

Good news to me.

I'm definitely going to call it good when 1/6 is toast.

HT's Marvel line will be just fine, I'm sure their Phase IV will produce a new "Iron Man" for them to dip into and they will always go back and retool and make things die-cast etc.

Maybe that works out for them but I'm finished with Marvel after Endgame. Can't just replace RDJ and Evans like Diane on Cheers. Plus I'm out of space and growing tired of the expense.

Me too. I have zero interest in a ton of smaller scale figures with a quarter of the detail, and only a hundred dollars less. Not worth it.

:goodpost: :exactly:

Had some initial interest in Mezco, but after seeing the goofy waxy looking headsculpts and prices some of them go for. That was a big no go.

I'd likely just move to going through the back catalog of 1:6 figures I missed out on.

:goodpost: :exactly:

Had some initial interest in Mezco, but after seeing the goofy waxy looking headsculpts and prices some of them go for. That was a big no go.

I'd likely just move to going through the back catalog of 1:6 figures I missed out on.

For me, Mezco started interesting if not strong -- and then just got weird. But people *love* 'em, so to each their own.

I'm definitely going to call it good when 1/6 is toast.

I wonder how likely it is for 1/6 to end. If the demographic is mostly males of a certain age, our own ageing and moving on (one way or another) could spell the end. Dunno anything about the actual market, though.

As of today, no new Star Wars 1/6 figures listed, neither Hot Toys or Sideshow produced.

I would think they would have put something up from The Rise of Skywalker, maybe a new stormtrooper or a similar generic figure from the film in order to cash in on the trailer hype from Celebration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As of today, no new Star Wars 1/6 figures listed, neither Hot Toys or Sideshow produced.

I would think they would have put something up from The Rise of Skywalker, maybe a new stormtrooper or a similar generic figure from the film in order to cash in on the trailer hype from Celebration.

Except End Game starts this weekend...

Figure previews or releases have typically been embargoed until force Friday in September.

Well they did put Qui-Gon up for PO a couple of weeks ago.

I think HT is still moving along with a reasonable pace... but at the Celebration Collectibles Panel neither Sideshow or Hot Toys were present. In the past Sideshow would share their upcoming products and Hot Toys; they teased Jedi Luke and a few others 2 years ago... so definitely concerning they had zero presence in that panel.

Very reliable. Not a fan. Was explaining why Sideshow was not at Celebration for first time. Said they will still be distributing but not producing new Star Wars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS was at Celebration but did not have a booth. My wife ran into Susan at WonderCon and she mentioned that she was going to Celebration for some meetings but they would not have a booth.

I have no clue as far as the licensing goes but I know they had reps at Celebration.

So many statues, dioramas, PF SSC could have made. I collected SSC Star Wars statues and PF for ten years at least and loved them.

Yeah it's kind of more surprising unless this is only affecting the 1/6 scale figure license. They do so much other stuff, you'd imagine they would want to keep that license. I mean who wouldn't?

Back