Sideshow Star Wars License

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had a dollar for every time someone claimed that Sideshow was getting out of 1/6 ... I'd have enough money to buy one of their 1/6 figures.

I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone saying they have a trusted insider (I guess without names or some more detail not sure how "trustworthy" these sources are) suggesting it before though.

The discussion I've seen in the past was more centered on why they should get out (can't compete with HT, they do statues better, etc) or inferring that the release pattern suggests it etc - not a specific rumor that they're exiting 1/6 figures that turned out to not be true.

It does seem an odd choice to do a major $800 1/6 Jabba release and then call it quits, but it also does seem pretty strange they would do that set and not majorly capitalize on it with say 3-4 supporting Jabba Palace figures. It's only been Lando Skiff so far and that still hasn't gone to PO even after 9 months.

I thought I saw Susan walking around at Celebration, but not only was it odd that they did not have a booth (or showcase any products in someone else's booth), they also did not present at the collectibles panel. I hope they are still in the picture though, as it would mean more product for us.

I didn't seem like any of the Sideshow people present, were there in an official capacity. Sideshow didn't say or post anything on Social Media about having a presence at the show and like you said they weren't even mentioned during the collectibles panel; but in years past they would be sort the anchor for that panel. Doesn't necessarily mean they're out, but it's odd.

I recently bought the old Hasbro Garindan to go in my Jabba setup. It's pretty damn decent right out the box and could be improved alot with a bit of extra work.

I was wondering if anyone would recommend any other of the better Hasbro 12" figures from that era that are good enough to be displayable with HT and Sideshow stuff? I wasn't collecting at that time.

We should be thankful to Hasbro for having done over the ages so many characters that even SSC never attempted (and very well done for that matter). I would also very much like to see them returning to 1/6, with newest tech, and going for the lesser-known-character niche. That would be a cool addition to our landscape of options. Something like the Vintage Collection of Hasbro's 1/6 line, ready for discerning children(!) and eager customizers alike. If prices should be kept at bay, and character range was cool... boy would we flock to it!

Below, my best-of list (I have owned, or still own them all):

- The Hasbro 1/6 Count Dooku was not only the sole game in town, but also, when worked on a bit, it was so SSC-grade.

- Maul w/ Speeder: crappy Maul, AWESOME speeder.

- Scout trooper OR Luke OR Leia w/ speeder bike: ditto.

- Wampa: still only game in town, but damn good at it. I still own it.

- PT Battle and Superbattle droids: good for posing as corpses. I still own them (gotta buy more btw...).

- Captain Tarpals with Kaadu: even if you are not into gungans, the Kaadu steed is awesome to enrich a Tatooine diorama (yeap! even if they are not natives!). I bought them recently, have Tarpals for sale btw.

- Ponda Baba and Garindan: only game in town, but with work, they are great. I have Garindan's head and parts needed to kitbash it, and I am selling Ponda's outfit, maybe his hands too.

- Taun-taun w/ Han or Luke: only way to have a taun-taun at a reasonable price these days. It is huge and OK. You can customize cheesy rider into some rebel trooper.

- Sandtrooper w/ dewback: again, crappy rider, superb steed. Populating it with accessories, great customs have been made in the past.

- Tatooine R5-D4.

- Green and White R2-D2 (what's its name?). Still keep it.

- Jawa: grab 2 or 3 and kitbash them. You can even mod the bodies to be more articulated. Look it up. They come complete with LED eyes too!

- Ackbar: only game in town, great fig for that matter.

- Krennic: Disney made a good 1/6 fig out of this guy.

BTW does anybody need a MISB Hasbro 1/6 taun-taun or dewback?
I am based in Europe btw.

Yeah, with a ton of work, Hasbro Ponda Baba can be really amazing looking and for my custom Bossk I used the Hasbro head, arms and legs over the Sideshow ones because with a lot of modding they are better underlying sculpts than the Sideshow versions.

TaliBane, in which sense are they better?

Best,
m.

I am not seeing any May the 4th promos or sales. Not a good sign.

Popcultcha... HUTTDAMN 20% promo code for regular price/in-stock items. Unfortunately, not a whole lot if you’re looking for 1/6. I may pick up the Snowtrooper Commander, Scout Trooper, another Rogue One Tie Pilot or Speederbike which are my current choices... Well, if fail at trying to save money again.
But yeah, you’d think SSC would have some sort of code for this.

Popcultcha... HUTTDAMN 20% promo code for regular price/in-stock items. Unfortunately, not a whole lot if you’re looking for 1/6. I may pick up the Snowtrooper Commander, Scout Trooper, another Rogue One Tie Pilot or Speederbike which are my current choices... Well, if fail at trying to save money again.

Sideshow I mean, first a no show at Celebration and now they don't seem to acknowledge May the 4th.

Nothing I really want from Popcultcha that I don't already have. Maybe another speeder bike.

I’m pretty sure they either lost or didn’t renew the Star Wars license but will still distribute Hot Toys Star Wars products and other items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not seeing any May the 4th promos or sales. Not a good sign.

I received a post card from Sideshow in the mail today with a $20 off promo code for Star Wars products. Haven't tried to use it yet but it doesn't say that you can't use it on preorders. Only stipulation I see is that you must spend more that $100. Coupon expires on May 25th.

I’m pretty sure they either lost or didn’t renew the Star Wars license but will still distribute Hot Toys Star Wars products and other items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am down for a 1/6 Mythos Boba. How could they ever sell it w/o holding the licence...?
m.

They didn't make much of a deal about May the 4th... it was part of their Collect A Day May promotion, but I think that was about it.

I think SDCC will be a good measure of what's happening; if there is nothing new there then it's a bad sign.

Wouldn't they have to just to be able to distribute the Star Wars HTs in the US? Does HT have a US presence/business at all?

Yes I would think so. Weird that Igo announced a Rancor this year if they weren't going to have the license. If they don't have what company would get the license.

Perhaps no one (aside from Hot Toys). Just because there were two companies that had the license to do "high-end" 1/6 collectibles, doesn't mean that has to continue. Disney may have decided that HT is the best company for the job, and that's that -- Sideshow is out. All speculation, of course, but that's pretty much how licensing works. When your time runs out, if you haven't proved you can handle the license to the best degree, they don't have to renew the contract.

Back