1/6 Sideshow Mythos Obi Wan 1/6 Desert Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just all kinds of fun and I love all the accessories.

This. I still haven't put it away in a detolf because it's a really fun figure to re-pose and turn to view it from the front and back. I ordered some DID accessories that I thought might be practical for a wandering desert hermit to travel with. Ordered a water canteen, a mess kit, a short handled shovel, and a medic bag. Not sure how much of it I'll actually use. I was also thinking about getting a very small turntable and displaying him someplace accessible.

This. I still haven't put it away in a detolf because it's a really fun figure to re-pose and turn to view it from the front and back. I ordered some DID accessories that I thought might be practical for a wandering desert hermit to travel with. Ordered a water canteen, a mess kit, a short handled shovel, and a medic bag. Not sure how much of it I'll actually use. I was also thinking about getting a very small turntable and displaying him someplace accessible.

:lecture

s-l300.jpg

:dunno

I think if this Obi headsculpt had an HT paintjob it would be pretty rad, but I must say, the SS paintjob seems to have ruined it for me..... looks way too soft. Reminds me of the ESB Hoth Luke & Solo. Have they not been able to step up their game since then? The prices certainly went up, and arguably this figure comes with no more or less accessories than all the Hoth gear and tailoring. Why is it so hard for them to get a factory to paint as good as HT's? Or is the softness due to the sculpt itself? Like they aren't sculpting any skin detailing... like.. skin pores lol?

I think if this Obi headsculpt had an HT paintjob it would be pretty rad, but I must say, the SS paintjob seems to have ruined it for me..... looks way too soft. Reminds me of the ESB Hoth Luke & Solo. Have they not been able to step up their game since then? The prices certainly went up, and arguably this figure comes with no more or less accessories than all the Hoth gear and tailoring. Why is it so hard for them to get a factory to paint as good as HT's? Or is the softness due to the sculpt itself? Like they aren't sculpting any skin detailing... like.. skin pores lol?

The paint is not that bad, it has somevery nice skin texturing. I think the problem comes with certain areas looking a bit "spray-paint-y" like the ears, for example.

I'm just going off of what I'm seeing, you guys are doing an awesome job taking beautiful photos, but the face looks soooo soft. Like it has one of those instagram filters to make him look younger and more hawt lol ur cute asl? Somebody upload a raw iphone portrait mode shot in harsh light without makeup or coffee yet

Yeah, I've often stared at newer Sideshow heads trying to put my finger on exactly what the problem is - especially when I was trying to reboot my Snowspeeder Luke non-helmet head. It is some combination of soft sculpt detail and apps that just don't have the subtlety of HT - HT does this two-tone skin color then sprays a freckling over it. Sideshow kind of does that, but it just doesn't seem to read well.

This Ben looks on the better end of the Sideshow spectrum, but it does have a slightly odd looking forehead sculpt (a bit Klingon almost) and paint that doesn't quite get it across the line into that HT realm. It's a weird thing, because I remember thinking how the Snowspeeder Luke head technically looked well executed up close, but when you stepped back and looked at it, the sculpt seemed soft and the paint apps simplistic.

I'm just going off of what I'm seeing, you guys are doing an awesome job taking beautiful photos, but the face looks soooo soft. Like it has one of those instagram filters to make him look younger and more hawt lol ur cute asl? Somebody upload a raw iphone portrait mode shot in harsh light without makeup or coffee yet

I agree. I love the figure but I’m not crazy about the paint app on the head sculpt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know something mate? I don't disagree with a single word you said, and I STILL love this figure. It's just all kinds of fun and I love all the accessories. You're still right though.

But ALL figures have issues. Definitely also HT! At the end of the day it’s shelf presence that matters, and this figure looks like it’s worth the asking price compared to other figures.

I am also grateful of having this fig. It is only that its imperfections, especially if blatant, must be pointed out.

Well....we'll respectfully agree to disagree here. :wink1: Alright, you got me going now! (insert good-natured shove here)

I certainly understand your objections. I read the same product blurbs, saw the same prototype, witnessed the eventual product photos (which did the figure no favors), and read through the inevitable hand-wringing and crucifixion of the figure in here and elsewhere.

I've always been a "gotta see for myself" kinda guy. I wanted this one, I got it.

Sideshow has always had it's share of issues when it comes to the sixth-scale figures they've offered over the years, but the issues have been consistent and overall, they've improved their process over the years and can deliver.

Go into any HT thread and you can find any number of folks having some kind of issue with the figure, no matter how beautifully rendered. Portraits always end up a little softer in production, the figure can end up with issues from packing or manufacturing, materials can end up being substandard, people question the scaling or lack of accessories, you name it. It can happen to ANY of these companies.

Collecting these figures is an expensive game now, regardless of the company. Was this figure overpriced? On the surface, perhaps. But not knowing exactly what the overhead, the licensing, the manufacturing situation and everything else that goes into ANYTHING you buy and how that affects how Sideshow prices the figures, it is what it is. It's the price. Think it's too much? Don't pay it. Seeing the pics starting to come in of the new SSC Jabba, it's looking pretty great, not $800 great to me, but great. Won't get it.

This figure on the other hand? I saw the same information and photos everyone else did. What tipped the scales for me was the concept and yes, the execution. EVERY figure, even HT, ends up looking it's best from one angle or another. HT has so many excellently crafted, but marginal looking portraits that fit that bill. Many folks choose to display their figures it stock-straight museum poses in perfect display cases and never really handle them. More power to them! I've seen some beautiful collections and figures on display in here, but personally, that's not my choice.

I enjoy putting the figure in different lighting situations, trying it in different environments and enjoying the photos that come from that. This figure is FANTASTIC for that kind of enjoyment to me. And again, the concept and the character are the biggest selling points for this figure to me. Just looking at it can tell a story or invite one to come up with their own. Isn't that the ultimate in collecting and enjoying these? Gotta remember, when the dust settles here, the figures we collect in here may mostly be as accurate a scale representation of a given character as possible, but they are also...toys. And while this Mythos Kenobi can have some issues for us to tussle over in here, l'm thrilled to have it.

View attachment 439942

Just my two-cents anyway. Cheers!

Thanks for your great input.
I bought this fig without any hesitation. I had to have it. I loved the statue since the very first second I laid eyes on it because (as you put it) it told a whole story without words. I even was on my way to kitbashing it when this fig came along. But this is not an isolated case. In fact, whenever I criticize a figure negatively, I normally have already purchased it, or I am going to purchase it for sure. I do not meddle on threads of figures I have no intention to purchase. So, my criticizing has nothing to do with the question "is this worth buying or not?". If I criticize, no matter how negatively, the figure is worth both the money and my time (be it from Hot Toys, Sideshow, or any other manufacturer).

That being said: I dig perfection in 1/6. I think we all do. Becoming aware of each and every flaws on any of my figures is vital to me, for that allows me to seek fixes to them. To that aim, I am decided to do at least half of the job: thinking independently and finding fixes to flaws that shouldn't be there in the first place. The other half of the job would be hammering the manufacturer's (HT's, SSC's or whoever's) customer service with emails telling them what they did (inexplicably) wrong. If we all did that, SSC would improve. Since we don't, they cozily keep doing what they want and we undeservedly(?) get flawed overpriced figures from them even today no matter how high their prices become. I am thinking right now of Jack Burton, Naboo Maul (nice fig but he should have come at least with his robe for that price), or even Plissken back in the day (and yes, SSC sometimes makes figures that don't have important flaws; that's when I remain silent).

Finally: of course you are enjoying your very expensive fig a lot. If you didn't after shelling out the cash you have it would be a real drag ain't it? So, I just don't feel completely at rest if you (or me for that matter) madly enjoy futzing this guy. I already take that for granted at even $100+! What I ask for the big bucks I pay is perfection, or at least, no inexplicable screw-ups, and definitely not having to look for that sole damn angle, with that sole damn posing of the outfit, that miraculously hide that glaring issue in my $250 fig.

Oby Mythos has some inexplicable screw-ups and weird aspects to it, like its price. It was very expensive even when compared with other licenced figures from HT. There certainly is something weird to it. We should at least be aware of this and discuss it at length. Even complaining about it to SSC (maybe that way they will come out of the closet and we will learn why the price was what it was, that information you say we are missing).

RfC
Best,
m.

Nice!
I also have parts like those you mention to customize a Dewback. I'll use any spares on this guy!
:)
Thanks for the idea!
m.

Nice!
I also have parts like those you mention to customize a Dewback. I'll use any spares on this guy!
:)
Thanks for the idea!
m.

Would love to see this fig on a 1/6 Dewback.

The coolest though would be on a "captured" custom 1/6 Bantha.

Would love to see this fig on a 1/6 Dewback.

The coolest though would be on a "captured" custom 1/6 Bantha.

Now that is a extremely cool and inspiring idea....!!
Wouldn't it be also cool to have Mythos Obi just descending off Rey's speeder... We might see that vehicule done by HT in 1/6 within our lifetimes: if they went back and did Krennic, everything is possible now.
RfC
m.

Though I’m sure it would look awesome, there’s a lifetime and a big chunk of space between Mythos Obi And Rey’s speeder.

Back