1/6 Sideshow Mythos Obi Wan 1/6 Desert Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your insight buddy. Is the head's flesh color very different from that of the neck? If it is not, why is the seam so noticeable?

It is a little different, but where it's really noticeable is around the back, the seam flares out and doesn't fit the neck perfectly

Yeah this, but the skin tone of the face compared to the neck is poorly matched as well.

It is a little different, but where it's really noticeable is around the back, the seam flares out and doesn't fit the neck perfectly

Oh my... :(
OK, thanks...
"the seam flares out" means that the lower end of the hair on the back of the head flares out too much? That the hair does not meet the neck and an empty gap appears no matter what?
m.

Oh my... :(
OK, thanks...
"the seam flares out" means that the lower end of the hair on the back of the head flares out too much? That the hair does not meet the neck and an empty gap appears no matter what?
m.

On page 61 there is a good picture showing where the back of the sculpt creates a nasty seam on top of the neck. Fortunately it can be mitigated with the hood and goggles.

On page 61 there is a good picture showing where the back of the sculpt creates a nasty seam on top of the neck. Fortunately it can be mitigated with the hood and goggles.

Thanks for the heads-up. Indeed. In that picture I can also see the mould seam running below de mandible. Awful.
I'll get rid of the body (because of the singly-jointed neck), the head (because of all the flaws and its not being Ewan nor Alec) and the boots. I got the pleather ones of HT ANH Obi, but need the weathered straps that keep them closed on top. Any suggestions anybody?
Thanks!

Nope sitting perfectly fine.. Most likely just the angle of my pic

Hum... I'd say head seems too far from the torso, anyway...
Thanks,
m.

Thanks for the heads-up. Indeed. In that picture I can also see the mould seam running below de mandible. Awful.
I'll get rid of the body (because of the singly-jointed neck), the head (because of all the flaws and its not being Ewan nor Alec) and the boots. I got the pleather ones of HT ANH Obi, but need the weathered straps that keep them closed on top. Any suggestions anybody?
Thanks!

Hum... I'd say head seems too far from the torso, anyway...
Thanks,
m.

Make sure to post picks! I thought of using the hot toys old Ben head sculpt and putting more brown in his hair but it would require a body swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally had time to get this out of the box and have a look.

MYTHOS KENOBI-005.jpg

I f'n love this figure. Always been a big Kenobi collector and this is an excellent piece. From the packaging featuring the extra shots of the figure (a nice touch) to the figure itself packed with so much gear and great detail...I'm so glad I kept this one. I cannot wait to get out in the desert with him later this year. The excellent detailing and really firm base body is going to provide a great subject for some cool poses and shots.

MYTHOS KENOBI-001.jpg

Are the paint apps HT perfect? No, of course not. Is the base neck too pale for the head? Well, yes, but some proper futzing (not done for these shots) and creative display angles can make that a non-issue. The hands are amazing (not the oversized mitts HT has been doing lately)and well detailed. I haven't even got to the pack and accessories yet - too in rapture with the figure - I'll get to them later.

I haven't been this swept up in opening a figure in quite a while.

If you are a Kenobi fan- don't let this unique figure slip by. I'm really impressed with Sideshow's effort here. Well done.

DESERT KNIGHT.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, well thought out and very nicely written! I especially love the final picture you took!

Finally had time to get this out of the box and have a look.

View attachment 439483

I f'n love this figure. Always been a big Kenobi collector and this is an excellent piece. From the packaging featuring the extra shots of the figure (a nice touch) to the figure itself packed with so much gear and great detail...I'm so glad I kept this one. I cannot wait to get out in the desert with him later this year. The excellent detailing and really firm base body is going to provide a great subject for some cool poses and shots.

View attachment 439484

Are the paint apps HT perfect? No, of course not. Is the base neck too pale for the head? Well, yes, but some proper futzing (not done for these shots) and creative display angles can make that a non-issue. The hands are amazing (not the oversized mitts HT has been doing lately)and well detailed. I haven't even got to the pack and accessories yet - too in rapture with the figure - I'll get to them later.

I haven't been this swept up in opening a figure in quite a while.

If you are a Kenobi fan- don't let this unique figure slip by. I'm really impressed with Sideshow's effort here. Well done.

View attachment 439487

I am not.
Figure was particularly expensive, and when you go even higher in price than a HT piece, much more should be expected. You shouldn't need to look for the sole, clever angle from which your fig doesn't look bad. Should you?

There are positive aspects to this fig. Of course. THERE SHOULD BE SOME! If there were none we'd have to go to SSC's facilities and have some good ol' rioting, right?
Yep I do like the detailed nails. The backpack too. I also like how they pissed on (only one part) of the tunic (I'll have to pick a six-pack and end the job myself...).

BUT they screwed quite a bunch of things, such as the head. The facesculpt was critical. Ewan or Alec? In the end, none of them: on a over-creative bout, they have decided to reinvent Obi-Wan's face. And on top of that, I see that chalky finish on it again, which I wanted to believe was some kind of "lighting problem" in previous pictures... And I must say that this was a particularly stupid screw-up: they already had the digital sculpts for 2 extremely beautiful heads. No extra work needed. And yet... :-(

The technical heart and soul of the figure was WEATHERING. Yet, weathering was done wierdly, not fully satisfaying. Why in the hell are those tunic sleeves so white???

Then there is the body and neck: they should have picked up bodies with doubly-jointed necks to begin with, and providing painted necks that stand in harmony with head/hand flesh color.

Well.... I guess tying all those little chords on the backpack must have been veeeeeeeeeeeeeery expensive, and then there was no more budget for doubly jointed and painted necks. But then... why not sparing some money by just reusing any of the brilliant, already existing head sculpts?

And I guess we should be thankful because articulations are not floppy this one time... But then there is that flare on the lower back of the head... And the rifle looks proportionally too small compared to the statue... And the damn fig is so expensive... And no pleather boots... And some elements of the backpack on the original statue are missing...
:-(

RfC,
m.

You know something mate? I don't disagree with a single word you said, and I STILL love this figure. It's just all kinds of fun and I love all the accessories. You're still right though.

You know something mate? I don't disagree with a single word you said, and I STILL love this figure. It's just all kinds of fun and I love all the accessories. You're still right though.

But ALL figures have issues. Definitely also HT! At the end of the day it’s shelf presence that matters, and this figure looks like it’s worth the asking price compared to other figures.

I am not.
Figure was particularly expensive, and when you go even higher in price than a HT piece, much more should be expected. You shouldn't need to look for the sole, clever angle from which your fig doesn't look bad. Should you?

There are positive aspects to this fig. Of course. THERE SHOULD BE SOME! If there were none we'd have to go to SSC's facilities and have some good ol' rioting, right?
Yep I do like the detailed nails. The backpack too. I also like how they pissed on (only one part) of the tunic (I'll have to pick a six-pack and end the job myself...).

BUT they screwed quite a bunch of things, such as the head. The facesculpt was critical. Ewan or Alec? In the end, none of them: on a over-creative bout, they have decided to reinvent Obi-Wan's face. And on top of that, I see that chalky finish on it again, which I wanted to believe was some kind of "lighting problem" in previous pictures... And I must say that this was a particularly stupid screw-up: they already had the digital sculpts for 2 extremely beautiful heads. No extra work needed. And yet... :-(

The technical heart and soul of the figure was WEATHERING. Yet, weathering was done wierdly, not fully satisfaying. Why in the hell are those tunic sleeves so white???

Then there is the body and neck: they should have picked up bodies with doubly-jointed necks to begin with, and providing painted necks that stand in harmony with head/hand flesh color.

Well.... I guess tying all those little chords on the backpack must have been veeeeeeeeeeeeeery expensive, and then there was no more budget for doubly jointed and painted necks. But then... why not sparing some money by just reusing any of the brilliant, already existing head sculpts?

And I guess we should be thankful because articulations are not floppy this one time... But then there is that flare on the lower back of the head... And the rifle looks proportionally too small compared to the statue... And the damn fig is so expensive... And no pleather boots... And some elements of the backpack on the original statue are missing...
:-(

RfC,
m.

Well....we'll respectfully agree to disagree here. :wink1: Alright, you got me going now! (insert good-natured shove here)

I certainly understand your objections. I read the same product blurbs, saw the same prototype, witnessed the eventual product photos (which did the figure no favors), and read through the inevitable hand-wringing and crucifixion of the figure in here and elsewhere.

I've always been a "gotta see for myself" kinda guy. I wanted this one, I got it.

Sideshow has always had it's share of issues when it comes to the sixth-scale figures they've offered over the years, but the issues have been consistent and overall, they've improved their process over the years and can deliver.

Go into any HT thread and you can find any number of folks having some kind of issue with the figure, no matter how beautifully rendered. Portraits always end up a little softer in production, the figure can end up with issues from packing or manufacturing, materials can end up being substandard, people question the scaling or lack of accessories, you name it. It can happen to ANY of these companies.

Collecting these figures is an expensive game now, regardless of the company. Was this figure overpriced? On the surface, perhaps. But not knowing exactly what the overhead, the licensing, the manufacturing situation and everything else that goes into ANYTHING you buy and how that affects how Sideshow prices the figures, it is what it is. It's the price. Think it's too much? Don't pay it. Seeing the pics starting to come in of the new SSC Jabba, it's looking pretty great, not $800 great to me, but great. Won't get it.

This figure on the other hand? I saw the same information and photos everyone else did. What tipped the scales for me was the concept and yes, the execution. EVERY figure, even HT, ends up looking it's best from one angle or another. HT has so many excellently crafted, but marginal looking portraits that fit that bill. Many folks choose to display their figures it stock-straight museum poses in perfect display cases and never really handle them. More power to them! I've seen some beautiful collections and figures on display in here, but personally, that's not my choice.

I enjoy putting the figure in different lighting situations, trying it in different environments and enjoying the photos that come from that. This figure is FANTASTIC for that kind of enjoyment to me. And again, the concept and the character are the biggest selling points for this figure to me. Just looking at it can tell a story or invite one to come up with their own. Isn't that the ultimate in collecting and enjoying these? Gotta remember, when the dust settles here, the figures we collect in here may mostly be as accurate a scale representation of a given character as possible, but they are also...toys. And while this Mythos Kenobi can have some issues for us to tussle over in here, l'm thrilled to have it.

MYTHOS KENOBI-013.jpg

Just my two-cents anyway. Cheers!

Last edited:
Boy, I really regret cancelling this guy.

Perhaps I'll pick one up when I fully recover from the holidays.

Back