1/6 Sideshow Mythos Obi Wan 1/6 Desert Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received Obi Wan today and I agree that the robes are not yellowed as the pics show. The head sculpt has to be one of the best human Sideshow sculpts to date. Is it Hot Toys good? The answer is no but close. The accessories are great. The back pack is filled with details.

The backpack really makes the figure! Talk about attention to detail

I received Obi Wan today and I agree that the robes are not yellowed as the pics show. The head sculpt has to be one of the best human Sideshow sculpts to date. Is it Hot Toys good? The answer is no but close. The accessories are great. The back pack is filled with details.

Pics pics pics :pray:

Upload them to imgur (don't need an account) and just copy and paste the links

Well said. I agree entirely on what your saying on attachments. Ultimately, the prequels served to show that the Jedi were flawed, and their strict devotion to transcending what it means to be human led to their downfall.

I also completely agree on what you're saying about the Jedi tunics, I've been making that same argument for years now. I mean, the Jedi are basically based on monks. If you look at it historically, monks dressed the way they did because they wanted to rise above materialism, and so they dressed in rags.

In the same way, what Jedi wear can be seen as the rags of the Star Wars universe. I mean, look at A New Hope... that movie showcased one of the poorest parts of the Star Wars universe, and if you noticed, almost all the less fortunate souls of Tatooine dressed the same way Obi-Wan did.

The backpack really makes the figure! Talk about attention to detail

Unfortunately it's a bit like dengar or sandtrooper in that regard - super cool backpack that you never see on display.

Maybe for this figure - because it has no basis in onscreen reference - you could have him holding onto the backpack laying at his feet so all that great detail can be seen. People kind of feel locked into having the backpack always on for Dengar or sandtrooper.

The head looks really decent in the video - better than any pics so far to me - and overall the release very nice (I love some of the details on the backpack.) But the head doesn't have that look of a "shrunken-down living human" being the way HT figs like Tarkin do.

It's something to do with slightly less sculpt detail coupled with paint apps that don't have that extra layering that sells "living skin." Tarkin has that uncanny feeling of holding Peter Cushing in your hands. Without HT out there setting the industry standard, this release would look great.

That being said, for me this video makes this release better than any previous pics have shown. Really interested to see more "detolf pics" of this one.:clap

On this video, pee seems sort of uniform across all white parts of the outfit. Looks ok, like lots of sweat accumulating and no shower in sight. I like it, and I hope my unit will be like that and as much as possible (which seems to be a matter of luck).
Head does not look whitish (chalky, as someone said?), but how good the paintjob is, I still can't say for sure. Granted: the neck is crap (and singly articulated.........).

Of course it should. Based on the camera/phone most people use to take pics, and based on the angle from which they are taking the pic, the majority of pics of 1/6 figures look like they have a huge head. Look on any of the 1/6 scale threads on this forum. I know you don't like to go back through the threads page by page, but pick ANY figure - even the ones that are revered (ie. Mk 6 diecast iron man). Doesn't matter whether it's Hot Toys, or Sideshow, or Enterbay, BC, etc., etc.... most figs look like they have big heads in pics, primarily due to the photography.

I'd go so far as to say 80-90% of pics of 1/6 figures make the heads look too big.

Having it in hand most definitely changes THAT particular aspect of 1/6 collecting.

Sorry, but no: marketing pics are not deforming anything. Many fan pics, took from a distance, don't either. Perspective Deformation happens only up-close ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_distortion_(photography) ).

I have seen all pictures on this thread. As I have said several times already, some conclusions could be drawn, others couldn't. I couldn't say for sure weathering was applied evenly accross the white parts of the outfit, but the head's size was clearly confirmed to be off.

I think it can be summarized as: A) people that buy it are impressed, and B) people that don't want to buy it choose to spend their time convincing others not to buy it as well.

Then again, that describes half the threads here anyway.

And yes, you can make the argument that people in category A bought it and are "trying to justify their purchase," but by the same token, how can you so vehemently hate something you don't even let yourself see in person?

I won't attribute motivations to someone I don't know, nor will I speak for anyone else on this matter, but all I can say is I like what I like. If I didn't, I'd sell it. And I don't appreciate someone telling me that I'm wrong in what I like. I mean, I dislike some things too, but at least I try not to attack something without giving it a fair chance, and even after that, I generally avoid ruining someone else's fun by ranting on and on about why I hate x figure in front of everyone else that enjoys it.

I cannot see anybody trying to convince anybody else of nothing at all. I can't see anybody scorning anybody else's decision to purchase some figure. I only see people freely expressing their opinions, based on comparable observations (at least that's what I always try to do in here). It is a healthy exchange of opinions, or even better, of objective analysis (as objective as we can get them), and nothing else. But such an exchange is not very well accepted by some, as I have been learning since I roam this realms. It is absolute bigotry what really characterizes all these threads. You just can't criticize, no matter how objectively and good-willingly, what others consider sacred (which is nothing other than their egos).
And that's it. Amen.

You know what guys? If you make a reasoned criticism of some figure I happily bought, you know what guys? I don't get irate. I see no evil in you, even if you scorn rather than criticize. If you put any measure of empirical truth on the table that I can grasp, and that proves I was mistaken (or not), I wholeheartedly appreciate it!! Why do you guys feel so bad about people not liking or even harshly criticizing figures that you love, or just like? It is not you, buyers, that are being criticized, but only the figures, and with reasons that try to be as solid as possible and that you should be always able to counter, or accept, with calm. It is never "that figure is rubbish", but "that figure is rubbish because ..." (and it is never "rubbish").

Come on, people........ Relax and reason........

P.s. Asgardianboy, I can't really speak to some of the questions you posed since I'm hesitant in even simple mods with my figures, but I can say that the rifle comes separate from the backpack. So do the lightsabers, and it took a little bit of patience to get them attached. Obi comes with a 'gun-holding' hand which looks like it fits the rifle, and the scale (to me) seems fairly accurate.

OK, thanks buddy.
Anyway, some of the questions, I think you might be able to answer anyway, namely:

Can the head be lowered on the neck somehow?

What about hands being able to reach for the backpack straps? Is it really necessary to almost remove the wrist connectors for the hands to grab the straps, as seen in some pics posted before?

Man, SS really couldn't just have the neck be attached to the head? The seam and color difference is such an eyesore. I guess it might look okay as long as you only look at him directly from the front... lol

You are right about the ugly neck-head difference. But the solution is not to suppress the head articulation, but detailing and paiting the neck, like HT does with i.e. Falcon.

I think it's just luck of the draw with the distressing. My figure doesn't have that extreme a yellowish coloring on the robes, just a hint at the bottom edge, and at least one other person had robes with no yellowing on theirs. Some have pretty severe yellowish distressing though, so...

That would explain that certain pics showed a very white tunic. I assumed blurriness was washing the pee away.

Something interesting that I noticed, the boots are not one piece. It's more like a shoe and a separate top layer. Just think of the upper ankle half of the boot as a separate piece, which kind of resembles the bracers on the HT Anakin figure in that it's loose and slides up and down. Personally, I think it's a great idea, as it allows for a lot more dynamic poses that I struggle with on some of my other figures that do have one piece boots. That, and I also like posing them in pretty dynamic poses, and I wonder how that will affect the longevity of the boot material. Which, fortunately is not a problem with this figure.

Another small point, I noticed that the lightsaber blade is pretty roughly cast with a jagged texture closer to the hilt, at least on mine. It's also a much darker shade than what HT uses, and a lot less translucent. Think of it more like the old dark blue Force ghost toys in terms of material. Personally, I like this color better, but I do think the material and casting technique could be better.

Dude, is this body HT compatible wrt boots?

About the head: has it washes, pores, the several layers of tiny spots that give HT HSs their realism? If affirmative, any pic that shows it?

m.

Unfortunately it's a bit like dengar or sandtrooper in that regard - super cool backpack that you never see on display.

Maybe for this figure - because it has no basis in onscreen reference - you could have him holding onto the backpack laying at his feet so all that great detail can be seen. People kind of feel locked into having the backpack always on for Dengar or sandtrooper.

That’s a good idea about having it at his feet from time to time. I feel the same way about the R1 Trooper backpack. Looks great but you never see it.

About the head: has it washes, pores, the several layers of tiny spots that give HT HSs their realism? If affirmative, any pic that shows it?

m.

If I look under a magnifying glass, yes all those things are present. Unfortunately I don't have the camera and/or skills to capture it, but it is there for sure.

That's an excellent point! To be honest, I actually got this figure just to pose with Anakin in a duel, and I felt really guilty just boxing up what was one of the most impressive parts of the figure, which ultimately is the same problem you're describing: how do you display one of the coolest features? Or are you just supposed to be happy knowing it's there, like Jyn's necklace?

I like your proposed solution, and I think I will display the backpack on the floor beside the two duelists. :)

That's an excellent point! To be honest, I actually got this figure just to pose with Anakin in a duel, and I felt really guilty just boxing up what was one of the most impressive parts of the figure, which ultimately is the same problem you're describing: how do you display one of the coolest features? Or are you just supposed to be happy knowing it's there, like Jyn's necklace?

I like your proposed solution, and I think I will display the backpack on the floor beside the two duelists. :)

Honest question, if you bought this figure just to pose with Anakin, why didn't you just get the ROTS Obi-Wan instead?

Just got this in. I almost canceled him after the long delays and bad production pics. I’m glad I didn’t! He is quite impressive in hand. There are really only three things I would have changed about him.

1 included an older Ewan head like the original statue. The Alec head is fantastic but having the option would have been really nice- even if it was an exclusive extra.
2 included an environmental sandy stand. He really deserves more than just a plain black stand.
3 some weathering on the sleeves. The torso has the nice yellow staining on it but the sleeves don’t. I suppose you could argue the robe sleeves protected the tunic sleeves before he tore them off, but it just looks a little too clean compared to everything else. This is a minor quibble as I already explained why they wouldn’t be as worn out.

Overall, a very awesome figure. Between this and LJ Leia, there have been some beautiful and yet sorrowful Star Wars figures this week. Both figures perfectly represent some of the heartbreak of the series and make for some very powerful figures.

I haven't really been in this thread since the fig was announced, but now going through it I'm liking how this fig turned out. There are some issues (neck seam is the biggest one to me as it looks more pronounced than usual) but overall this is a solid figure. From what I can see in the pics and vids the headsculpt turned out quite well; very close to Hot Toys quality which lets face it, on Star Wars is pretty hit and miss itself. I've got a $25 coupon for SS, but even with that, tax and shipping will still make it more expensive than PC so I think I will wait for it to arrive locally and pick one up.

Honest question, if you bought this figure just to pose with Anakin, why didn't you just get the ROTS Obi-Wan instead?

What makes you think I didn't?

Good question: I have that one on preorder as well, but I also love having the Mythos version as a "What-If" version of the duel. Since I have two Anakins (regular and Darkside), I intend on posing both with the two representations of Obi-Wan.

After all, didn't the original Mythos statue essentially do the same with the swappable heads? Just depends on which Obi-Wan you want see represented.

And besides, almost half a year is a long time to wait!

From what I can see in the pics and vids the head sculpt turned out quite well; very close to Hot Toys quality which lets face it, on Star Wars is pretty hit and miss itself.

Totally agree with this, which is why this falls along the spectrum of good HT head sculpts IMO.

The head looks really decent in the video - better than any pics so far to me - and overall the release very nice (I love some of the details on the backpack.) But the head doesn't have that look of a "shrunken-down living human" being the way HT figs like Tarkin do.

It's something to do with slightly less sculpt detail coupled with paint apps that don't have that extra layering that sells "living skin." Tarkin has that uncanny feeling of holding Peter Cushing in your hands. Without HT out there setting the industry standard, this release would look great.

That being said, for me this video makes this release better than any previous pics have shown. Really interested to see more "detolf pics" of this one.:clap
Hey thanks! That's my video hehe. I'm working on my review now so I'll post it up soon. So far my gripe is the lightsaber blade and tusken rifle being warped right out of the box. Oh yah also the robe being a little too yellow to my liking. Stay tuned for the review..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

A couple of pictures. I'm not the best photographer but thought I'd post for what it's worth. FYI, the yellow on his shirt is not as dark in person as the pictures show, but is uniform over the entire shirt with some darker and lighter areas.

A close up of the face paint apps, not as clear a photo as I would have like, but hopefully you can see some of the details:
IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

A couple of pictures. I'm not the best photographer but thought I'd post for what it's worth. FYI, the yellow on his shirt is not as dark in person as the pictures show, but is uniform over the entire shirt with some darker and lighter areas.

A close up of the face paint apps, not as clear a photo as I would have like, but hopefully you can see some of the details:
View attachment 435744

View attachment 435745

View attachment 435746

View attachment 435747

That headsculpt looks great all things considered!

Back