1/6 Sideshow Mythos Obi Wan 1/6 Desert Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
47573309_500582680432021_4945413133469483008_n.jpg
Quick pic.

If I see in several pics that a head is measurably too big, having the figure in hand will change that fact? Don't think so.
m.

Yes, except the people who have positive opinions have the figure in hand and those who have negative opinions don't. I'm getting mine today and will let you all know what my opinion of the figure is after seeing it in person.

If I see in several pics that a head is measurably too big, having the figure in hand will change that fact? Don't think so.
m.

Of course it should. Based on the camera/phone most people use to take pics, and based on the angle from which they are taking the pic, the majority of pics of 1/6 figures look like they have a huge head. Look on any of the 1/6 scale threads on this forum. I know you don't like to go back through the threads page by page, but pick ANY figure - even the ones that are revered (ie. Mk 6 diecast iron man). Doesn't matter whether it's Hot Toys, or Sideshow, or Enterbay, BC, etc., etc.... most figs look like they have big heads in pics, primarily due to the photography.

I'd go so far as to say 80-90% of pics of 1/6 figures make the heads look too big.

Having it in hand most definitely changes THAT particular aspect of 1/6 collecting.

Someone just put up an unboxing video, but no reviews yet.

Man, SS really couldn't just have the neck be attached to the head? The seam and color difference is such an eyesore. I guess it might look okay as long as you only look at him directly from the front... lol

I don't suppose there is a way to wash some of the pee out of the robes? They really over-did it on the yellow IMO.

Do you have any figures with white/off-white you could take a pic next to? So far all these pics solidify the overly-yellowed pee robes... :(
HS does look better in this pic and I appreciate the decent futzing and pose, but it's a shame the only way to display him is probably going to be with the hood up unless you want to see the seam.

I think it's just luck of the draw with the distressing. My figure doesn't have that extreme a yellowish coloring on the robes, just a hint at the bottom edge, and at least one other person had robes with no yellowing on theirs. Some have pretty severe yellowish distressing though, so there doesn't seem to be any uniformity

Any pics of yours? If that's the case I might just stalk eBay for loose robes that don't look like they were peed on if I decide to get this.

I think it's just luck of the draw with the distressing. My figure doesn't have that extreme a yellowish coloring on the robes, just a hint at the bottom edge, and at least one other person had robes with no yellowing on theirs. Some have pretty severe yellowish distressing though, so...

In any case, I don't mind it. The outfit is pretty beat up with some cool tears, so it makes sense for it to be dirty as opposed to what we see in the prequels

Someone just put up an unboxing video, but no reviews yet.

The head looks really decent in the video - better than any pics so far to me - and overall the release very nice (I love some of the details on the backpack.) But the head doesn't have that look of a "shrunken-down living human" being the way HT figs like Tarkin do.

It's something to do with slightly less sculpt detail coupled with paint apps that don't have that extra layering that sells "living skin." Tarkin has that uncanny feeling of holding Peter Cushing in your hands. Without HT out there setting the industry standard, this release would look great.

That being said, for me this video makes this release better than any previous pics have shown. Really interested to see more "detolf pics" of this one.:clap

yeah, pee robes... i think it makes sense in a desert environment, with the constant sun and dust that they would NOT be white, but the execution/application of the effect doesn't look at all like sun yellowing - it would be more pronounced in exposed, top most areas, and less so in areas closer to the ground or in shadow - not around the outside of each piece of fabric. if it's just supposed to be dirty, well, again, it would be dirtiest maybe at the bottoms, and then in other "random" places, not around the outside or along seams. i get sideshow's idea, it just doesn't make "real world" sense how they went about weathering it.

The head looks really decent in the video - better than any pics so far to me - and overall the release very nice (I love some of the details on the backpack.) But the head doesn't have that look of a "shrunken-down living human" being the way HT figs like Tarkin do.

It's something to do with slightly less sculpt detail coupled with paint apps that don't have that extra layering that sells "living skin." Tarkin has that uncanny feeling of holding Peter Cushing in your hands. Without HT out there setting the industry standard, this release would look great.

That being said, for me this video makes this release better than any previous pics have shown. Really interested to see more "detolf pics" of this one.:clap

Nailed it. SS heads seem to be more on the toy/doll side than the tiny human thing HT heads have going for them most of the time. The neck seam definitely doesn't help either @_@

Dude, is this body HT compatible wrt boots?
m.

Something interesting that I noticed, the boots are not one piece. It's more like a shoe and a separate top layer. Just think of the upper ankle half of the boot as a separate piece, which kind of resembles the bracers on the HT Anakin figure in that it's loose and slides up and down. Personally, I think it's a great idea, as it allows for a lot more dynamic poses that I struggle with on some of my other figures that do have one piece boots. That, and I also like posing them in pretty dynamic poses, and I wonder how that will affect the longevity of the boot material. Which, fortunately is not a problem with this figure.

Another small point, I noticed that the lightsaber blade is pretty roughly cast with a jagged texture closer to the hilt, at least on mine. It's also a much darker shade than what HT uses, and a lot less translucent. Think of it more like the old dark blue Force ghost toys in terms of material. Personally, I like this color better, but I do think the material and casting technique could be better.

yeah, pee robes... i think it makes sense in a desert environment, with the constant sun and dust that they would NOT be white, but the execution/application of the effect doesn't look at all like sun yellowing - it would be more pronounced in exposed, top most areas, and less so in areas closer to the ground or in shadow - not around the outside of each piece of fabric. if it's just supposed to be dirty, well, again, it would be dirtiest maybe at the bottoms, and then in other "random" places, not around the outside or along seams. i get sideshow's idea, it just doesn't make "real world" sense how they went about weathering it.

Well they definitely wouldn't be white, but the effect they used looks far more like pee or sweat than what it would look like.

Here's a shot from ANH where both Luke's shirt and Obi-Wan's robes look pretty decent for "used to be white/off-white". These robes should have looked much closer in color to Obi-Wan's robes in this pic (both in terms of it literally being the same character and sun/clothes logic). If we're using other colors to describe, the old sun battered clothing is way more tan than it is yellow.
3670-1532336916.jpg

Instead, they look like this:
10-ways-whiten-clothes-without-using-any-bleach.1280x600.jpg
yellow-stain.jpg

Let's just agree to disagree. If you like it, go for it, if not, don't. No sweat off my back. :)

Actually having the figure in hand I can tell you the yellow is very subtle and very uniform on the entire undershirt.

Nice. It's really hard to tell in these pics because of lighting and also apparently there's some variance from figure to figure. Hoping someone posts a youtube review in some daylight-ish lighting to get a better idea. I realllyyyyy want to like this figure enough to order it lol.

Back