Sideshow Imperial AT-AT Driver Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sean Long cuts quite a figure in that Superman outfit.

I wish the review wasn't so blown out with the lighting - it's hard to judge most of the time because it's so overexposed, making it hard to even really see the helmet and armor clearly. Nice to know the head can spin all the way around 360 deg though.:lol:slap EX rifle looks very cool. Love the different finishes on it and the swinging stock.

Seriously, one of the worst figure reviews I've ever seen.

Yeah, this one seems to following the TIE pilot in being nearly 1/2" too tall.

The lighting is so harsh it looks like it is being reviewed by the aliens in Cocoon.

Not a bad youtube review, the figure is very cool, but I hate the bright light and over-exposing. Something that made the real suit be confused with white instead of gray years ago too.

And I think I contributed to the adding of the silver "pimple" greeblie on the forehead since I talked to Jason Eaton (who painted the prototype for SSC), and he didn't realize this small greeblie was missing till I told him. He then said will mention this to SSC to add it on the helmet, and seems they indeed added the forehead knob in the end.

Cannot wait for my AT-AT figure to come

AT-AT Driver2-v.jpg

cats.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully you didn't prompt the resculpt of the helmet from the proto, because that's what they did.:lol

Something similar happened with the TIE pilot - the TIE proto had the front of the mohawk correct, but the production figure had a vertically stretched, inaccurate mohawk. Exact same thing has happened here; ATAT proto had correct mohawk front, but prod fig has stretched/inaccurate - not sure why.

On the ATAT driver proto, the chin curve (between grill and teeth) was correct, but on the prod fig, it's been changed to a more pinched, inaccurate look. The little ribbed pipes on the temples were pretty close to accurate on the proto, but on the prod fig they've been changed so they don't look much like a ribbed pipe anymore.

Helmet still looks very nice overall, and I'm just nitpicking because I modded the Marmit in some detail so know it well, but weird to see these types of sculpt differences between proto and prod - and all changed to be less accurate.

The new helmet is clearly inspired by MonCal which is the proto for Anovos. You can also add the front buttons next to the mohawk and so on.

Hopefully you didn't prompt the resculpt of the helmet from the proto, because that's what they did.:lol

Something similar happened with the TIE pilot - the TIE proto had the front of the mohawk correct, but the production figure had a vertically stretched, inaccurate mohawk. Exact same thing has happened here; ATAT proto had correct mohawk front, but prod fig has stretched/inaccurate - not sure why.

On the ATAT driver proto, the chin curve (between grill and teeth) was correct, but on the prod fig, it's been changed to a more pinched, inaccurate look. The little ribbed pipes on the temples were pretty close to accurate on the proto, but on the prod fig they've been changed so they don't look much like a ribbed pipe anymore.

Helmet still looks very nice overall, and I'm just nitpicking because I modded the Marmit in some detail so know it well, but weird to see these types of sculpt differences between proto and prod - and all changed to be less accurate.

so TaliBane do you have a photo of the mods you did on your marmit AT-AT driver. I also have the marmit AT-AT driver which I still think it`s an awesome piece in my collection.

so TaliBane do you have a photo of the mods you did on your marmit AT-AT driver. I also have the marmit AT-AT driver which I still think it`s an awesome piece in my collection.

Sorry GG, didn't see your comment.

Below are the pics I posted a while back. I put it on a slim-type body, built a whole new chestbox out of the Hasbro one, but used a few parts from the Marmit one but mostly custom bits, added new webbing, cut down the Marmit gloves a bit, used Hasbro pipes, and did some repainting on the helmet (extended mouth, tweaked bits between eyes and forehead.) Still have to gloss the eyes. I used the Marmit armor but painted it whiter to match helmet - though I wanted it just slightly different from helmet like it appears in the ref pics.

The one difficult thing is how low the helmet sits - it's very difficult to get it that low and still have articulation. Nearly every ATAT driver fig, the SSC included, has the helmet sitting too high because it's so hard to get it lower. I wanted an ATAT that looked exactly like the ref pics.

This guy will be my white ATAT (nod to vintage) while the SSC will be my grey ("accuracy.":lol)

atat2_zpsiwmtafb6.png

atat1_zpsd0sgvqjy.png

Sorry GG, didn't see your comment.

Below are the pics I posted a while back. I put it on a slim-type body, built a whole new chestbox out of the Hasbro one, but used a few parts from the Marmit one but mostly custom bits, added new webbing, cut down the Marmit gloves a bit, used Hasbro pipes, and did some repainting on the helmet (extended mouth, tweaked bits between eyes and forehead.) Still have to gloss the eyes. I used the Marmit armor but painted it whiter to match helmet - though I wanted it just slightly different from helmet like it appears in the ref pics.

The one difficult thing is how low the helmet sits - it's very difficult to get it that low and still have articulation. Nearly every ATAT driver fig, the SSC included, has the helmet sitting too high because it's so hard to get it lower. I wanted an ATAT that looked exactly like the ref pics.

This guy will be my white ATAT (nod to vintage) while the SSC will be my grey ("accuracy.":lol)

atat2_zpsiwmtafb6.png

atat1_zpsd0sgvqjy.png

That looks great. Nice work.

It just arrived a day early!! Video review up soon :)

Re-view, re-view, re-view!:yess:

The SSC figure at a glance reminds me a lot of the Hasbro Saga ATAT driver (which had swivel elbows but is still the best AT-AT driver sculpt Hasbro has done.)

Loving it in that pic though. Looks a lot better than in that Sean Long review.

Interested in how the height looks next to a tall HT stormie (Long showed it next to a short stormie.)

I expect he'll be exactly the same height at the TIE Pilot.

Wearing a crested helmet on top of a Stormtrooper helmet can account for some of the extra height. And with the AT-AT Driver you can allow him a bit for his Moon boots. :lol

The one thing I'm not loving on this fig - same on the TIE - are the glove sculpts. SSC seems to have struggled lately with gloves - really didn't care for the Hoth guys' gloves either.

It's nice they did some new sculpts for the ATAT driver gloves vs. reusing the TIE gloves (they are different in the movie, not just different colors) but the sculpts themselves just aren't very convincing just like on the TIE. They almost look like they were carved out of stone with a chisel or something.

Back