Sideshow Imperial AT-AT Driver Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, great. Lots of complaining already.

I'll check back in a year to see people saying what a good deal this trooper was now that the base price is $250 per figure.

They messed up the Biker Scout but this fig looks superb so far. Hopefully it stays that way.

As Pixel says, many of these issues were visible in the proto, so no surprises, but maybe I just hoped for the in-hand bump.

It's a nice quality figure, it just doesn't really look like the ROTJ movie scout... at all. The helmet is way off in a number of ways, many other inaccuracies (e.g correct puffy "diaper" look of the codpiece replaced by a ladies' underwear look) boots wrong and too short, pistol way too small, even the overall non-white look of the armor and over-weathering doesn't look like ROTJ. Overall proportions are off also - everything riding too high. It's possible a few of these things were done to make it sit on the bike better but the fact I had to dremel to make the arms sit down against the body bothered me. I was going to try to fix the helmet inaccuracies a bit, but decided there are too many.

I had expected a major upgrade on my custom Hasbro Scout, but side-by-side that fig still rules in terms of screen accuracy around here which is very weird.:(

As I've said many times, my SSC Scout I call a "Sniper Scout" - a Scout variant not related to ROTJ and in that way it's cool to me.

Yea, I'm gonna go ahead and have to disagree with you on that one.

Looking good, my probe droid is in need of company.

Hmmm, not a bad idea.

I'm going to wait on this though as there is no rush and I'm not sure I want to venture any deeper into Star Wars characters than I already am. After I get Ben, Leia, and the Chewie/Han pack, I'm pretty much set with my core group. Plus my display area is already filled up with them and I'm not sure I want another shelf of Star Wars figures.

I know I'll crumble and order in the end :lol

Whatever might be said about quality or popularity of this figure (short, screen appearance troops). I am glad this is out in this high-end quality. Not HT...well, at least better than what has been available. I would love this as an PF actually.

Also price is way cheaper than Luke X-wing fighter.
Will get this for sure.

Looks good to me....maybe Sideshow could throw some of that "snow" (from the other Hoth figures) on the base though to spice it up a bit...or a "grate" pattern on the surface of the base similar to what is on the one that came with Jango.

Really liking the quality of the photos on the product page too. Very nice variety of lighting conditions make the figure just pop.
And REALLY liking the lack of NRD with this one...I've been pre-ordering less these days because of those.

I'm sold on it...a year's a long wait, but there's plenty hitting between now and then to keep the interest going....he'll look great flanking Vader with the TIE Pilot...

Oh, great. Lots of complaining already.

I'll check back in a year to see people saying what a good deal this trooper was now that the base price is $250 per figure.

Yeah, a lot of that is the Hot Toys rose colored glasses effect ("it's just better because of the logo on the box") which is quite an affliction around here. This SSC ATAT driver looks stellar (so far) and there's not really much that could be improved on it. It should, however, be about $180, but I think we're all done complaining about that.

Yea, I'm gonna go ahead and have to disagree with you on that one.

I really, really wish I could agree with you. And believe me, I've tried. :lol

It no bullseye either but on the shelf, the $20 modded Hasbro just looks more like the ROTJ movie Biker Scout to me than the $200 SSC. There's other issues I can overlook, but there's something weird about the SSC helmet and kneepads.

Yeah, a lot of that is the Hot Toys rose colored glasses effect ("it's just better because of the logo on the box") which is quite an affliction around here. This SSC ATAT driver looks stellar (so far) and there's not really much that could be improved on it. It should, however, be about $180, but I think we're all done complaining about that.
Completely disagree. It isn't that I'm a Hot Toys fanboy necessarily and only want to crap on Sideshow as they've announced figures I've been interested in and hoped would or will turn out good. Sideshow has made a habit out of underdelivering and its been made worse recently by them driving up their prices. Hot Toys definitely more consistently delivers on their products and even if some don't like everything they put out they at least match the prototype or better with their final product which is something Sideshow doesn't do.

Completely disagree. It isn't that I'm a Hot Toys fanboy necessarily and only want to crap on Sideshow as they've announced figures I've been interested in and hoped would or will turn out good. Sideshow has made a habit out of underdelivering and its been made worse recently by them driving up their prices. Hot Toys definitely more consistently delivers on their products and even if some don't like everything they put out they at least match the prototype or better with their final product which is something Sideshow doesn't do.

:lecture QFT!

Hot Toys does eff up...I still despise my red headed Zeno on my Samurai Pred base. But I buy a ***** ton of Hot Toys and I quite literally own EVERY SSCs SW release including all the dioramas & environments and I have to admit Hot Toys delivers on product satisfaction on a more consistent basis than SSCs. They just do. I mean, look at your pic! That $200 figure doesn't look much better than the modded Hasblow fig. That either says A LOT about the Hasbro fig, or a whole lot more about the SSCs fig.

But like I said, Hot Toys has some duds too. Those Gamorra arms suck donkey balls.

No doubt that Hot Toys does have duds. I don't think that they're perfect but overall more often than not they at least deliver on what they initially show. Sideshow hypes their stuff up and get people all excited with awesome prototypes but then the final product comes out and more often than not they underwhelm.

This figure looks great. It's in that second tier of troopers though that I'm not sure I want to venture into. The no NRD is great though as I have the TIE Pilot on order without NRD, and I'll see how I feel about that when I have it in hand.

Either way I'll wait until coupon eligible and probably order and decide based on the quality of the TIE Pilot and whether I get into any TFA figures. It's getting harder to put the monthly coupon down on all these awesome looking figures.

Well, they went with the grey armour, not the white used for almost thirty years. Pass.

Note the "grey" point since there's been a misconception right since people have been looking at this character since it appeared on-screen in 1980 that it was white, when in fact it was light grey. It just looked white under bright studio lights!

Original ESB AT-AT Driver Helmets

I'll admit it does look whiter on screen than this, and it probably would look better a little toned down. Guess it's the whole brown/blue coat thing again.

It really is a Han's jacket issue, what was it really vs how did you see it on film. I like that they did the actual grey and I think it will look interesting and stand out even more from Stormtroopers.

The helmet and chest are gray too or just the shoulder armor? Helmet looks white in some of the promo photos.

I guess this is what it'll appear like next to the HT Stormies? Sideshow should snap a few photos of the figure next to the Snowtrooper so the grayness is a bit more clear.
swh_at-at_colour01.jpg

I obviously didn't mean you specifically. Whenever this comes up, I usually quote a certain member on here who - in the midst of dissing all Sideshow products (and me for liking a SSC product) - delivered the most loving HT fanboy soliliquy, complete with fogged glass, ever committed to computer screen.

The language of it - including lilting breathy love for HT Ben and Vader :)monkey4) - was quintessential HT fanboy, and yes, there is a lot of it on here. Me - I couldn't care less. Give me like it was onscreen or incur some wrath... HT, SSC or whoever.

My point is SSC puts up a stunning proto like this ATAT driver and STILL we get the "eh, I'll wait for HT, be better anyway" - this based off a proto that couldn't really be improved unless you hopped in a time machine and went back to 1979 with a 1/6 shrink ray.

Am I happy with the price - no _____ way. Am I happy to wait over 12 months - no _____ way. Am I happy with the proto based on pics - ___ yeah.

Well, they went with the grey armour, not the white used for almost thirty years. Pass.

Yeah, my modded Marmit will be my white one, this will be the grey.

Not sure what the rationale was for grey armor - and such a light grey. But the grey is clearly visible in Mollo's final costume design sketches so not sure why nobody figured out the lighting blow-out turning grey white until a few years ago.

:lecture QFT!

Hot Toys does eff up...I still despise my red headed Zeno on my Samurai Pred base. But I buy a ***** ton of Hot Toys and I quite literally own EVERY SSCs SW release including all the dioramas & environments and I have to admit Hot Toys delivers on product satisfaction on a more consistent basis than SSCs. They just do. I mean, look at your pic! That $200 figure doesn't look much better than the modded Hasblow fig. That either says A LOT about the Hasbro fig, or a whole lot more about the SSCs fig.

But like I said, Hot Toys has some duds too. Those Gamorra arms suck donkey balls.

I think the Scout was a rare Sideshow trooper miss. They do miss from time to time - the snowie is nice but not great - but this ATAT looks awesome. And "Hasblow" had quite a bit of pretty great sculpting on pieces, nearly always ruined by fat muscle bodies and poor apps.

I want that "red trooper" in LoveMinusZero's sig up above.

Hey -- if its that way on screen....

It's a simple mod.

You just put a red light above him.

Apparently there are complete streets in Amsterdam where all HT Stormtroopers are red. (Even the black ones).

rld-alley.jpg

Not sure what the rationale was for grey armor - and such a light grey. But the grey is clearly visible in Mollo's final costume design sketches so not sure why nobody figured out the lighting blow-out turning grey white until a few years ago.

Might have been a combination of what they wanted to do with the lighting; that they were spray painting black TIE Pilot helmets; and their suits were grey as distinguished from the white Stormtroopers and Snowtroopers.

The AT-ATs were also grey, so a driver could camouflage himself against a destroyed one while awaiting recovery. :lol

You can see the shades of grey in the film where the light isn't hitting directly.

url

url

Might have been a combination of what they wanted to do with the lighting; that they were spray painting black TIE Pilot helmets; and their suits were grey as distinguished from the white Stormtroopers and Snowtroopers.

The AT-ATs were also grey, so a driver could camouflage himself against a destroyed one while awaiting recovery. :lol

You can see the shades of grey in the film where the light isn't hitting directly.

Yeah, interesting idea (like Vader's gunmetal "countershading" parts) but the fact it appears grey in the Mollo pics suggests it was supposed to actually look grey.

Honestly, they look better with the crisp white but the grey is nice too because it's different.

The Marmit people clearly had no idea what they were seeing in the ref pics when doing their ATAT driver. The armor is sort of a grey/bluish yet the helmet and chest box are white.:slap

Back