Sideshow Imperial AT-AT Driver Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is the AT-AT driver but why in the hell is the price so high if he comes with absolutely nothing they could have done some sort of cool snow base or something

Gray paint very expensive. :p

The helmet and chest are gray too or just the shoulder armor? Helmet looks white in some of the promo photos.

I guess this is what it'll appear like next to the HT Stormies? Sideshow should snap a few photos of the figure next to the Snowtrooper so the grayness is a bit more clear.
swh_at-at_colour01.jpg

The entire armor is gray too. The only remaining AT-AT helmet is owned by a private collector, and the AT-AT armor is in ILM archives and was repainted black:

IMG_4403.jpg

Might have been a combination of what they wanted to do with the lighting; that they were spray painting black TIE Pilot helmets; and their suits were grey as distinguished from the white Stormtroopers and Snowtroopers.

The AT-ATs were also grey, so a driver could camouflage himself against a destroyed one while awaiting recovery. :lol

You can see the shades of grey in the film where the light isn't hitting directly.

url

url

Maybe it was because it could be to differentiate them from ground troopers which are always white

Me - I couldn't care less. Give me like it was onscreen or incur some wrath... HT, SSC or whoever.

My point is SSC puts up a stunning proto like this ATAT driver and STILL we get the "eh, I'll wait for HT, be better anyway" - this based off a proto that couldn't really be improved unless you hopped in a time machine and went back to 1979 with a 1/6 shrink ray.

Am I happy with the price - no _____ way. Am I happy to wait over 12 months - no _____ way. Am I happy with the proto based on pics - ___ yeah.

Agent Cooper Thumbs Up.gif

I think the Scout was a rare Sideshow trooper miss. They do miss from time to time - the snowie is nice but not great - but this ATAT looks awesome. And "Hasblow" had quite a bit of pretty great sculpting on pieces, nearly always ruined by fat muscle bodies and poor apps.

The snowie had nit picky problems but was overall a great figure. You're right about them usually getting the troopers fairly right although I would argue execution still lacks in many areas. Take their OT Stormtrooper. What a mess. Elastic bands pulling armor plates everywhere. The chest armor being WAYYYY too wide and the cod piece way too small. That's to say nothing about the floppy bodies they came with. After waiting through a ton of PT figs and jedi for the most iconic army builder in pop culture and they deliver that, it was disappointing to say the least. The clone troopers armor was better but the base bodies still sucked on the original early releases. The armor was also spinning and turning and for the life of me I can't figure out why on God's green earth they keep using those crappy ankle joints. The cut hinge joints suck for posing. A simple fix is in the market place...currently being used by Hasblow no less. Simply angle the hole in the foot where the peg goes and voila! Now you have universal ankle articulation.

I'll not even start in on that original Boba release. The chest armor...:slap

I agree the proto looks awesome...although bare. The problem, as mentioned by guys before, is they seem to lose it in the production phase of the project. This applies to almost their entire 1/6th product line.

The snowie had nit picky problems but was overall a great figure. You're right about them usually getting the troopers fairly right although I would argue execution still lacks in many areas. Take their OT Stormtrooper. What a mess. Elastic bands pulling armor plates everywhere. The chest armor being WAYYYY too wide and the cod piece way too small. That's to say nothing about the floppy bodies they came with. After waiting through a ton of PT figs and jedi for the most iconic army builder in pop culture and they deliver that, it was disappointing to say the least. The clone troopers armor was better but the base bodies still sucked on the original early releases. The armor was also spinning and turning and for the life of me I can't figure out why on God's green earth they keep using those crappy ankle joints. The cut hinge joints suck for posing. A simple fix is in the market place...currently being used by Hasblow no less. Simply angle the hole in the foot where the peg goes and voila! Now you have universal ankle articulation.

I agree the proto looks awesome...although bare. The problem, as mentioned by guys before, is they seem to lose it in the production phase of the project. This applies to almost their entire 1/6th product line.
I know what you mean but I do think this one has a high probability of success because it's basically a helmet, chest piece and jumper. I've got no interest in the exclusive rifle, though, so I am going to wait this out and see if I have any desire to pick it up once it's released. Really trying to keep my orders to a bare minimum, so even if this doesn't disappoint, I'll likely end-up giving it a miss.

I'm hoping I can make my Marmit look this good so neither of them looks out of place in my Hoth display - as much as pilots on the ground in the snow won't look out of place that is.

My point is SSC puts up a stunning proto like this ATAT driver and STILL we get the "eh, I'll wait for HT, be better anyway" - this based off a proto that couldn't really be improved unless you hopped in a time machine and went back to 1979 with a 1/6 shrink ray.
In my opinion this is exactly Sideshow's problem. The prototypes they show tend to look great but when it comes to following through and delivering on their prototypes they tend to fall short. Not so much on the Troopers as they've done enough of them and really they shouldn't screw them up but on other figures they do they seemingly have issues.

In my opinion this is exactly Sideshow's problem. The prototypes they show tend to look great but when it comes to following through and delivering on their prototypes they tend to fall short. Not so much on the Troopers as they've done enough of them and really they shouldn't screw them up but on other figures they do they seemingly have issues.

Troopers have some of the same problems -- scaling issues with the armor (see Scout Trooper thread) -- but without likeness and paint and tailoring issues, the majority of issues is well-hidden.

Some of the more recent problems I've been having is with tailoring: choice of materials, cut of the clothing, colors, and the scaling of bits (i.e. Jango's gauntlets). Compound that with the body that Sideshow uses and ill-fitted clothing looks even worse. That's why almost everyone replaces their Sideshow body and immediately says its improved greatly.

Hopefully Sideshow's new body -- on X-wing Luke -- will solve this problem.

:goodpost:

Yeah, I like my snowie just fine (it can be posed to hide many of the issues) and it's way closer than the Scout but it just looks sort of fat with a quite wonky helmet.

The Stormie's nearly ten years ago now so you can kind of forgive that (hey, it was under $100!)

I'm hoping I can make my Marmit look this good so neither of them looks out of place in my Hoth display - as much as pilots on the ground in the snow won't look out of place that is.

Yeah, I'm nearly done with my Marmit ATAT reboot, but having to rebuild a chestbox (Marmit's is quite a bit too small) using the Hasbro one wasn't pretty.

Can someone email Sideshow about these issues? It seems like they could fix these things for a figure 13 months away, but who knows.

I doubt they care. I still think they did an excellent job. As well they should considering the hi-res versions of those continuity photos pretty much show every detail of this suit. They get bonus points for making it the correct color (not sure about those shoulder connectors though). How much you wanna bet people complain that they goofed and got a gray one instead of a white one? Lol!

It definitely looks great. Yeah, i could definitely see that happening. I still think a couple photos of the driver with their snowtrooper would go a long way in preparing people for the actual color. The brain makes the armor seem white in some shots. Is anything white on it? The gloves look white to me.

The gloves are welding gloves I believe and should be gray. I think they should give the exclusive the red stripe down the back of the helmet. :)

atatdriverwith%20stripe%20smaller.jpg

Back