Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once you cross that line of, 'I need a special box for my figure' there is no going back. That said, anyone know of a nice, clear case that isn't too wide, but vertical?

I posted this earlier to the DX05 thread… Figures set up and photographed by a customer:

attachment.php

Anyone pad their vader? I don't mean the arms and legs only, but the chest/stomach area? The more I see this thing on my shelf, the more obvious that its way too skinny. Vader was beefy looking....

Anyone pad their vader? I don't mean the arms and legs only, but the chest/stomach area? The more I see this thing on my shelf, the more obvious that its way too skinny. Vader was beefy looking....

I don't think it's needed and would make him look too thick and barrel chested. He didn't look pudge or bursting at the seams in the movies. I keep a bunch of reference photos in my flickr account if you want a quick check.

I don't think it's needed and would make him look too thick and barrel chested. He didn't look pudge or bursting at the seams in the movies. I keep a bunch of reference photos in my flickr account if you want a quick check.

Its cool - kinda looking on the net.....! To my eyes, figure is just swallowed within the armor and body suit.......! I dunno..........! Too hungry to think at moment!

I padded the legs and crotch of mine quite a bit and it helped. Didn't feel like I needed to do the arms or chest tho.

Wait for HT.

Normally I would agree, but this is Vader. It's kinda hard to screw him up that much because he's wearing a mask. For any normal human face yeah I would say it would be worth waiting, but I highly doubt they would find too many ways to improve this figure, unless we're just talking about them adding more extras in a DX model, which is certainly possible.

Not to mention the fact that their Han Solo is AWFUL. Doesnt look anything like Harrison Ford.

I dont own any of the others, but every one ive seen in pix from all makers look exactly like Vader. So how do you improve that, outside of extras?

I think in the way the material drapes on the figure, the type of material used for the "leather", the matching between plastic and cloth bits -- like gloves, the detailing of the chain, paintwork on the armor, etc. I think there's many ways to improve upon previous Vaders... although it may be slight, that's what this hobby has gotten down to.

It doesnt look like Harrison Ford. Like not even kind of like him.

Exactly. It's opinion on whether someone likes the result or not, but to call the likeness of that particular sculpt opinion? No sorry, that's Hank Solo, not Han Solo. But pixel twin was harping on 'the fact' that you used the words "the fact."

Hot Toys screws up just as badly and just as often as Sideshow. It's nice to have someone else other than Medicom at the table because their releases were very off not only in scale but proportion, but an "All Hot Toys and only Hot Toys" collection would be a pretty sad state indeed. Just pick what you like and don't worry about who makes it.

There's a lot of room for improvement with Vader. And I'm sure we'll still be able to say that after Hot Toys releases their take. ;)

Last edited:
I keep a bunch of reference photos in my flickr account if you want a quick check.

Those pics are great. Your flickr account has a ton of cool stuff.

Normally I would agree, but this is Vader. It's kinda hard to screw him up that much because he's wearing a mask.

I dont own any of the others, but every one ive seen in pix from all makers look exactly like Vader. So how do you improve that, outside of extras?

Not sure I understand - a mask is easy to nail sculpt-wise? 3PO's mask was done many times over the years and really the only one that nailed it was the Tamashii (the SSC one looks really good too except the chin.) And ESB Fett's mask/helmet has never really been nailed in 1/6.

And SSC's DX Vader's mask sculpt is off and the dome is too small. While overall out of the box it looks better than the first SSC Vader, that first Vader can be improved a lot using the Hasbro dome, but the DX can't. And then there's the height issue...

Those pics are great. Your flickr account has a ton of cool stuff.

Not sure I understand - a mask is easy to nail sculpt-wise? 3PO's mask was done many times over the years and really the only one that nailed it was the Tamashii (the SSC one looks really good too except the chin.) And ESB Fett's mask/helmet has never really been nailed in 1/6.

And SSC's DX Vader's mask sculpt is off and the dome is too small. While overall out of the box it looks better than the first SSC Vader, that first Vader can be improved a lot using the Hasbro dome, but the DX can't. And then there's the height issue...

Some people are just character blind. You could show them a Dark Helmet sculpt and you'd have at least a few go, "nice Vader, I didnt know Anakin wore glasses... but now that I see this sculpt, I'm sure he does...". I'll admit when it comes to Vader and Stormtroopers, I'm one that doesn't see all the hubbub made about some of the problems, but on other characters, issues stick out like sore thumbs.

Back