Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This figure has a clunky look that seems to be a Sideshow hallmark. I imagine a Hot Toys Vader as being sharper or sleeker. Not sure if that makes any sense. I have an image in my head of what a HT Vader would look like and it's hard to describe.
I get you completely Maglor.

To SSC's credit, they've come a fair way in their 1/6 scale SW dept - but the trademark wonkiness is still there for most of their figures.

I get what Maglor is saying. I had my reservations buying this because of the body they use underneath and its overall finish. SSC's body, especially with its outdated pelvic and hip joints, gives it the perceived "clunky" look. Hence the bunching up around the pants on most of their sixth scale figures. It also does not help that almost 60% of the figures shipped to customers have cosmetic defects or breakage (tusks) or both on the helmet itself. Other parts that could have been better include the chest box and the base. The detailing on the chest box looks like it was sculpted by hand as the symmetry is not as impeccable as you would expect on machined parts. The paint application is also uneven and some areas are glossier than others. The base floor also tends to have an uneven shading or grade. Moreover, the cape should have shipped unworn to prevent the creases that have become prevalent. This is why Hot Toys' DX12 or Loki do not ship with their capes on but were rather neatly packed separately inside the box.

That said, it's not perfect but it's probably the best Vader I can get for now. At least until HT decides to take a break from Iron Man and give this a go. With HT's experience, finesse, and technical know-how, can you just imagine what Vader they could come up with? :drool

Interesting. I think Rory was one of the posters who was vocal about his 13.5 measurements. I am interested to hear what he has to say. That would suck to have a broken body, but I guess it would be a great impetus towards buying a KP02. :lol

I wasn't particularly vocal about it, but when I was asked by someone (pixel piper I think) to measure it, I did measure it...exactly, lying on its back, with a steel ruler just as he has done. I dropped a second small ruler down from the helmet tip, and it hit just over 13.5. Others have gotten the same, not sure what explanation there is. Except maybe some of these bodies are shorter. Or some are longer. Perhaps a different mid section has been used in some bodies, or a slightly different neck plug both options are quite possible with SS. Lots of freaks seem unhappy with the long neck for example, I never saw it as an issue on mine... Old pics below are completely un-modded...
:dunno

Last edited:
I wish Hot Toys would get off their asses and put out more Star Wars figures like everyone else but I don't necessarily see them making a better Vader.

Besides ,at this point I don't care to see them even do one. I'd love to get some human characters from them, like Han, Old Ben, X-Wing Luke. Id love a nice Leia but they'll give her real hair and dead lifeless eyes like Catwoman. I really want a Leia. Bad.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

I'll post some pics of the neck plug.

I shortened the shoulders and it's going to allow the head to come down about 1/8" after the neck plug is trimmed. With the shoulders modified, the gap between them and the helmet is more exaggerated than ever. ;)

I shortened the shoulders and it's going to allow the head to come down about 1/8" after the neck plug is trimmed. With the shoulders modified, the gap between them and the helmet is more exaggerated than ever. ;)

Have you tried shortening the mid section as well? I did that on ANH Vader and it worked well. I also cut small sections off the shins and forearms to try and keep everything in proportion.

Yeah, take lots of pics of what you're doing please. I want to get rid of that gap too.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Have you tried shortening the mid section as well?

No, just the one minor change right now. I don't think I'll start major surgery on the body until I've completed the minor stuff first so I can go back and measure everything. The last thing I want is for him to end up the same height as Luke if I'm not careful. ;)

Ive had Vader since Friday and have kept him in my living room before I move him into my man cave later today. My son just found Vader's left shoulder pad under the couch as he was playing....:horror. **** I never new it was missing. I have not put in back in place yet but it looks like a velcro attachment. Am I correct?
Thanks son for finding something I never knew was missing or before "The Kraken" (Mr. Vacuum Cleaner) was released!!!

I wasn't particularly vocal about it, but when I was asked by someone (pixel piper I think) to measure it, I did measure it...exactly, lying on its back, with a steel ruler just as he has done. I dropped a second small ruler down from the helmet tip, and it hit just over 13.5. Others have gotten the same, not sure what explanation there is. Except maybe some of these bodies are shorter. Or some are longer. Perhaps a different mid section has been used in some bodies, or a slightly different neck plug both options are quite possible with SS. Lots of freaks seem unhappy with the long neck for example, I never saw it as an issue on mine...

Thanks for the response. I wonder what is up. We need some 13.5 folks to strip their vaders down and take some shots. :naughty:

Got him down to about 13 5/8" now with the shoulder, neck post and minor trimming of the neck mask and the neck of the fake sculpt under the mask. These last one just to tighten up the look of the neck around the shoulder armor (which I think is too deep from front to back as well as the plastic being too thick on the front especially). I might heat it and squeeze it a little bit.

Oh, and I feel pretty nauseous right now after being expose to the fumes coming off this thing for the past few hours. Brutal.

this probably has been already discussed but do the batteries arrive dead with this?

this probably has been already discussed but do the batteries arrive dead with this?

They arrive with a plastic tab covering the terminals. Unlike some products where you can just pull the tab, you will first have to remove the screw for the battery cover to get at the plastic. This applies to Vader's belt and the two stands. The LR41 batteries in the belt are pretty low-powered, but I'd expect even with a fresh set of name-brand replacements you won't get much more than 24 hours runtime.

A few quick pics of my Vader in my cabinet. I have decided to display the reveal head backwards. I feel the tease in ESB was more powerful displayed than the full reveal in ROTJ. I don't feel I have the "Set it and forget it" pose but it will have to do for now!!

Ive had Vader since Friday and have kept him in my living room before I move him into my man cave later today. My son just found Vader's left shoulder pad under the couch as he was playing....:horror. **** I never new it was missing. I have not put in back in place yet but it looks like a velcro attachment. Am I correct?
Thanks son for finding something I never knew was missing or before "The Kraken" (Mr. Vacuum Cleaner) was released!!!
Yes it is velcro, but it's not very effective at all; the grip is pretty weak. I had a shoulder guard fall off too, so I'm considering gluing the velcro together. I've considered the future ramifications of this with any possible mods or fixes I may want to do, and I'm sure gluing the shoulder armor velcro together permanently won't effect any of them.

Last edited:
I just received my Vader and I haven't done much with him yet because there were no instructions in my box. Is there supposed to be instructions? I don't like swapping hands and heads and stuff until I read those.

By the way he does look great. I put him on the stand and the lights work on it as well as on the belt. No scratches, cape looks great. I am pleased.

Back