Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pics everyone!
What I'm loving most about this thread, is all the different posing pics! It let's a collector see how his figure would look in different poses, without having to try them all himself! This way I don't loosen all the joints, or break anything, within the first month of receiving it!

So yesterday I finally got around to measuring my Vaders. Here are the numbers:

ANH (torso mod): 13.75
Vader Deluxe (w/helmet): 14
Vader Deluxe (w/reveal head): 13.5

I am intrigued by reports that some people allege their figures to hit 13.5 with the helmet on. I may need to take apart my Vader and reassemble him to see if maybe a ball joint isn't in properly.

I think we need a few photos of the stripped down body with only the shoes and helmet attached, along side a ruler. I'm with PT however, mine was also 14" and all the pushing without a full tear down got him down by only 1/8" max.

Ok, I did it, Vader is all torn down. I'll take some pictures in a bit.

Conclusion: If your Vader measures at 13.5" then my only guess is that something is broken on the body or that you have an alternate body in your Vader. When shipped from Sideshow with the correct body, there is absolutely no way to get him below 13 7/8" to the very top of the helmet when all parts are put perfectly straight.

I can find plenty of ways to make the figure taller by adjustments, but no way to make him even an additional mm shorter.

Could Sideshow have shipped an alternate body? Unlikely. Could they have shipped broken parts that allow the body to measure shorter? Maybe, but my only guess is that it would have to be somewhere in the mid section. Anther possibility is a different neck post.

And like all Sideshow bodies, this one isn't very good, IMO -the plastics feel a little cheap, lots of rough seams and edges. And the shoulder can't be moved up and down, so the overhead reach is totally unlike a real human (see Tusken Raider for some silly looking over the head poses).

Last edited:
Interesting. I think Rory was one of the posters who was vocal about his 13.5 measurements. I am interested to hear what he has to say. That would suck to have a broken body, but I guess it would be a great impetus towards buying a KP02. :lol

@Commetach, whjat body is being used under the shoulder armor and how are you attaching it to the stand. I bought an extra set of shoulder armor to do this very thing and any advice you can give would be awesome. :pray:

Hey Mags! Nice to see you over here in the SW section. Yes, he does have articulated ankles, think of the DX12. There were some pics around to illustrate some of the extreme poses that can be achieved with the new separate boot/ankle. Pretty much everything is an upgrade with exception of the suit, which I think was done much better on the ANH version. Don't know why they changed it. The cape and robes are easily the best from any mass produced figure I've ever owned. They feel like quality material and lay naturally. I feels nice not to have to buy a new cape for once. So strange why these companies haven't been able to do this until now. Not to scare you away or anything but you are aware of the QC issues this guy has been having, correct?

Just seeing this post now while looking for Commtech's post. No I don't know about the QC issues.

This for the detailed reply.

Really??? I don't think those are good pictures (no offense to the guys who took them). Even the Hot Toys Luke's face looks weird. As well as his lack of neck and that weird extra long left arm. It's all in the futz and the photos.
See my pictures a couple of posts back for a better look at the new Vader.

Yeah, I know that Luke can look much better. I'm just looking at the quality (paint aps, fabric scale, etc).

There are issues with the Vader that have been pointed out repeatedly - totally fair. But this comment is a bit off base. I don't think Hot Toys could make a Vader figure any better than Sideshow. We'd be talking about a number of issues with whatever product they produced also. The only Hot Toys-like thing I wish Sideshow would have paid attention to for this release is the box - the released box and packing materials are not Deluxe quality by any stretch of the imagination.

For me it's less about specific "issues", and more about the over-all look. This figure has a clunky look that seems to be a Sideshow hallmark. I imagine a Hot Toys Vader as being sharper or sleeker. Not sure if that makes any sense. I have an image in my head of what a HT Vader would look like and it's hard to describe.

Here come the images:

The ruler in the shots from above is at a slight angle in relation to the figure (because of heel to neck), which was just an easy way to see the marks on it. It did not affect the measurement appreciably. It certainly cannot make the figure appear taller than it is.

The items marked in RED are the ones to reference for height/measurements.

Full body shot from above - you should not look at the overall height mark on the ruler from this perspective.

Lower body aligned with 0-edge of steel ruler - from above.

Upper body - same alignment as previous images - from above.

Full body+helmet shot from above - you should not look at the overall height mark on the ruler from this perspective.

Close-up off-center - do not use this to check the height of the helm - this shows the shoulder height (again).

Camera perfectly perpendicular to measurement location - from above. This one shows an accurate measurement.

Camera perfectly perpendicular to measurement location - from the side. This one shows an accurate measurement.

Camera perfectly perpendicular to measurement location. This one shows an accurate measurement.

Last edited:
I love how you displayed the armor and reveal helmet! I'm going to steal your idea! What did you use for the stand?

@Commetach, whjat body is being used under the shoulder armor and how are you attaching it to the stand. I bought an extra set of shoulder armor to do this very thing and any advice you can give would be awesome. :pray:

Hey guys: Well, I had to work with what I had. I grabbed the top torso part of a SSC Stormtrooper body. Since I had upgraded my SSC Stormie bodies to Hot Toys true types, I had one extra body that wasn't being used so I took off the arms. I did leave the shoulder/arm joint. You also need the neck joint, of course. I then connected it to a Y stand https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-1-6...9649?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item4d18af6511 (take out the metal clip though). I attached them together with sculpey which I painted black when it dried.

I had to pad the torso with cotton and black tape to fill the armor because the Stormtrooper torso is smaller and I wasn't going to buy an extra Vader body to butcher it just for this. If you have an extra one, then good, otherwise you will have to pad it.
Here are some pictures to explain it better:

[URL=https://s.photobucket.com/user/edidu/media/FB300663-F5C7-4FDF-820C-331D29EC2F17_zpspd2872na.jpg.html]
0FC7B793-04B6-450E-B98B-50410473B90C_zpsqsopkpqn.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
beginning to regret this purchase..first it was the QC issues mine being missing tusk, paint job on face mask,melted shin armor and crooked tunic..
now the suit begins to bother me..I guess the ANH version has a more accurate suit with the wrinkles..
I should have purchased the ANH version and just get the rest of the parts needed from the new version...

You are exactly right pix. I measured it exactly the same way you did and came up with the exact same results. No shorter than 13 7/8".

I was intending to tear him down eventually, so I'm happy to have been able to do it today and post some images for everyone.

I'm going to start making some small mods today. The first is to shave a little bit off the top of the shoulder portion of the body (superior trapezius).

Back