Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm seriously entertaining the notion of cancelling this now and waiting to see what Hot Toys reveals.

Not a good time for SSC to be delaying multiple product release dates (by months) and setting 12 month P.O.-to-ship periods. And they need to deliver proto-level quality on production pieces (R2, Hoth figures.) The next 6 months is going to be critical for Sideshow's 1/6 business.

I just want them to put out good quality figures and don't really mind if they're delayed for us to get that. I think with the droids, it's pretty much a guarantee that these will come out excellent. Hot Toys is even displaying R2 in their Secret Base so I don't see how or why they would display an inferior product if they didn't think it matched up enough to their level of quality in their own figures.

The humans are a different story. I'm optimistically worried. I think they will finally come out alright, but I'm still worried.

Initially I was going to buy SSC's and had the exclusive on pre-order with a $20.00 coupon, so it was pretty much dirt cheap, but I cancelled, anyway. Just too much coming out now with HT getting into the game for me to double-up on releases, and I'd prefer a more authentic R2. I just don't care for the plastic dome but still have to say it's an amazing package for $130.00. I love the Old Ben table with Leia hologram, personally. That'll go very nicely with HT's Ben, for sure.

Why does everyone think HT is going to do one soon? If they were going to step on Sideshows toes they would do Vader or Fett and not worry about R2 for a long time. Plus they have only done human's so far so who knows if a droid is even in their plans.

I don't think it'll be soon, at all. But I hate buying this stuff only to sell later. Just such a hassle plus it frees up $130.00 to put to other priorities, like say the HT Vader/Old Ben set. I've just got to restrict my purchases, somewhere, so poor little R2 got the chop.

Don't forget it's not good for LFL to have both making the same figure at the same time.

I don't think it'll be soon, at all. But I hate buying this stuff only to sell later. Just such a hassle plus it frees up $130.00 to put to other priorities, like say the HT Vader/Old Ben set. I've just got to restrict my purchases, somewhere, so poor little R2 got the chop.

The 2 droids are just as important as the rest of the characters, and since George based them on Hidden Fortress and had many influences based on that film. I don't think HT has any ties to SS how long was it before they announced their Indy after the SS one was released?

Initially I was going to buy SSC's and had the exclusive on pre-order with a $20.00 coupon, so it was pretty much dirt cheap, but I cancelled, anyway.

I'm about to cancel mine as well. It'll be the first thing I've ever cancelled, but I'm not crazy about pre-ordering stuff in the first place. Even though I had intended to grab this guy, the pre-order was an impulse along with a $20 coupon. With 3PO only arriving at the end of next summer this guy wouldn't really be well displayed until next fall at the earliest, so like you said, I can find better ways to use the $130 in the meantime.

Sad to see him go. Waiting 10 years for Sideshow to do this little droid. Never really understood the reason it took so long. It was not an engineering problem. It was not SS waiting for prices to rise enough to make his built feasible (like it was for Grievous). It was a corporate decision.

I think it was decisions like this that really turned fans off.

I am watching the new SS price point with great interest because it seems like many of their production choices were blamed on getting the price to a point where they could up their quality. Well, the price is there now. I expect to see the quality.

I cancelled earlier today, but it has nothing to do with a potential Hot Toys version down the line. Hot Toys haven't done any mechanical figures/products that would cement the notion they might better Sideshow in any way.

Back