Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if these were posted here before. The digital sculpts of the new Jabba. I came across these on the sculpter's instagram page.
joemenna_sculptor_BkdWFizlJr5.jpg

joemenna_sculptor_BkdWF0tFosp.jpg

You really got to hand it to Sideshow - quibbles aside, and also in the context of some pretty awful SSC 1/6 scale figures in the past few years, they have done a pretty great job (twice) on a character that Hasbro, Gentle Giant and others struggled to nail for twenty years...

h1UlGTd.jpg

You really got to hand it to Sideshow - quibbles aside, and also in the context of some pretty awful SSC 1/6 scale figures in the past few years, they have done a pretty great job (twice) on a character that Hasbro, Gentle Giant and others struggled to nail for twenty years...

h1UlGTd.jpg

I understand the struggle to make the old one seem adequate, but look at this... this is a huge upgrade.
...the size difference in itself is really important.
My old Jabba looks like a toy, maybe more than anything in my collection. A repaint, like I did on my Bib, would make a ton of difference, but it would never get anywhere near the level of the new one.
783be920d315a588c047cd93e5629751.jpg

If you look at this picture for instance, the belly of the old one is also too big and the head too far back.
c0d03e351a96bc8051ea6d90cccbe52b.jpg

I understand the struggle to make the old one seem adequate, but look at this... this is a huge upgrade.
...the size difference in itself is really important.

Almost as much of a struggle to make the new one seem worth nearly a THOUSAND DOLLARS?:lol Believe me, I understand.:gah:

I'm waiting until these are in stock in a wider sense - ebay, multiple retailers, then see what discounts I can get. Around $100 off and I think I get get my head around the price. I plan to keep my old Jabba though. I really don't understand the derision - with a repaint it's the ROTJ Jabba puppet. I just don't think I can land that repaint however.

Almost as much of a struggle to make the new one seem worth nearly a THOUSAND DOLLARS?:lol Believe me, I understand.:gah:

I'm waiting until these are in stock in a wider sense - ebay, multiple retailers, then see what discounts I can get. I plan to keep my old Jabba though. I really don't understand the derision - with a repaint it's ROTJ Jabba. I just don't think I can land that repaint however.

Yes it’s a nice sculpt. Just undersized and not pronounced enough.
No toys are worth that much money really, but I think that’s the main reason for not getting the new one. Not the sliiiightly too big hands ;-)
...I do feel bad about spending this much on a slug, but then again, I know that I’ll want him eventually and I do believe the price will go up in time.

Just something I noticed in your video and with this pic..but have you tried the standard look? Basically just like the Jabba picture above your setup; with the regular eye on the left and "sleepy" eye on right. I really think that helps basically eliminate the whole cartoon/caricature look. Either that look or both eyes barely opened.

From everything I've seen, using the standard eye on the right side..it just droops down a bit too much. To me it just makes it look less accurate with the misalignment of the eye sculpt.

Honestly I don't get these "cartoon", "caricature", or "old jabba is more accurate" comments. This new Jabba is light years ahead of the old one. Is it perfect, no. But it's a massive improvement.

Honestly I don't get these "cartoon", "caricature", or "old jabba is more accurate" comments. This new Jabba is light years ahead of the old one. Is it perfect, no. But it's a massive improvement.
Yes! I absolutely agree. Owning the original since it came out and this one should be shipping to me in another week..so no biasedness here. Like I was saying, I think the use of that medium opened right eye throws the likeness a bit off; but you have so many options with this piece.

That one pic showing that the original has way too big of a belly with too small of a head is a good example. I've seen some amazing repaints of the original, and it still looks like a toy (by comparison) to this new one.

Honestly, I'm an old school Star Wars nut and Jabba is my favourite (w/Fett being 2nd), and the original piece never did much for me. So after seeing proper repaints of it years after getting it, I still wasn't blown away. I'm just hoping, please no QC issues Sideshow lol. I can deal with a broken Salacious Crumb piece and get a replacement..but I sure don't want to have to do that with Jabba or their throne!

Yes it’s a nice sculpt. Just undersized and not pronounced enough.
No toys are worth that much money really, but I think that’s the main reason for not getting the new one. Not the sliiiightly too big hands ;-)

Eh, the open/flat hands are about 50% oversized.

And then there's the mouth seams (and eye seams too under certain lighting,) the totally unusable "tongue mouth" (bad sculpt, bad paint,) the ultra-fragile Salacious (unacceptable) that should have been an articulated plastic figure with actual fur not sculpted again, the too-thick limbs on Salacious, the slightly caricatured Jabba face sculpt that even icruise mentioned (especially noticeable with the wide-open eyes and/or open mouth in place,) the squished lower torso (upper torso is sunken too far down "into" the belly - that's what gives it a slight Hasbro Jabba vibe,) the overdone/too-textured belly and arm sculpts, the straight-tail-only aspect, the statue/resin paint sheen issue, even (maybe) the swap-out parts statue vs articulated arms/waist/PERS eyes plastic figure it could have been...

I think if this was a quintessential Jabba, the ROTJ Jabba puppet shrunken down to 1/6, I'd have less issues with $800-900. And if it was $600, I'd be more forgiving of the figure's shortcomings. But short of HT doing Jabba, this will be the last 1/6 Jabba in a long time, so I don't want to miss out, and obviously the pluses far outweigh the negatives - starting with that gorgeous paint app.

And I'm still not convinced about the scale thing on the old one - it's maybe 1/2" too short, but that's pretty easily fixable, and it looks fine scale-wise next to other 1/6 Palace figs. It seems odd no one brought ever up the scale before Sideshow did in their new Jabba promo video. The new one is quite a bit bigger volume-wise, but a lot of that is in areas you can't see - behind the head and down the back (where it's way bigger than the old fig, but you can't see it - look at the side-by-side pics.)

Let's not sugar-coat this - this new Jabba is a sizable step up on the old one in many ways, but it has issues. Yes, I still think the basic likeness and "attitude"/expression on the old one captures the ROTJ puppet better (icruise and a few others have stated the same thing) - hidden by terrible factory paint like many SSC releases - but the new one is close in that regard and obviously makes for a much more complete Jabba package.

The thing is, I'm straddling both sides of this debate - while I'm getting the new one, I can't help but see a few pluses on the old one that I like better and think I'll keep it (I think at least.) And yes, maybe I'm venting that so many niggling issues are present in a fig I have to pay $800-900 for. For that price, I wanted a home run, and this is more a three base hit - so forgive the rant.:lol

Eh, the open/flat hands are about 50% oversized.

And then there's the mouth seams (and eye seams too under certain lighting,) the totally unusable "tongue mouth" (bad sculpt, bad paint,) the ultra-fragile Salacious (unacceptable) that should have been an articulated plastic figure with actual fur not sculpted again, the too-thick limbs on Salacious, the slightly caricatured Jabba face sculpt that even icruise mentioned (especially noticeable with the wide-open eyes and/or open mouth in place,) the squished lower torso (upper torso is sunken too far down "into" the belly - that's what gives it a slight Hasbro Jabba vibe,) the overdone/too-textured belly and arm sculpts, the straight-tail-only aspect, the statue/resin paint sheen issue, even (maybe) the swap-out parts statue vs articulated arms/waist/PERS eyes plastic figure it could have been...

I think if this was a quintessential Jabba, the ROTJ Jabba puppet shrunken down to 1/6, I'd have less issues with $800-900. And if it was $600, I'd be more forgiving of the figure's shortcomings. But short of HT doing Jabba, this will be the last 1/6 Jabba in a long time, so I don't want to miss out, and obviously the pluses far outweigh the negatives - starting with that gorgeous paint app.

And I'm still not convinced about the scale thing on the old one - it's maybe 1/2" too short, but that's pretty easily fixable, and it looks fine scale-wise next to other 1/6 Palace figs. It seems odd no one brought ever up the scale before Sideshow did in their new Jabba promo video. The new one is quite a bit bigger volume-wise, but a lot of that is in areas you can't see - behind the head and down the back (where it's way bigger than the old fig, but you can't see it - look at the side-by-side pics.)

Let's not sugar-coat this - this new Jabba is a sizable step up on the old one in many ways, but it has issues. Yes, I still think the basic likeness and "attitude"/expression on the old one captures the ROTJ puppet better (icruise and a few others have stated the same thing) - hidden by terrible factory paint like many SSC releases - but the new one is close in that regard and obviously makes for a much more complete Jabba package.

The thing is, I'm straddling both sides of this debate - while I'm getting the new one, I can't help but see a few pluses on the old one that I like better and think I'll keep it (I think at least.) And yes, maybe I'm venting that so many niggling issues are present in a fig I have to pay $800-900 for. For that price, I wanted a home run, and this is more a three base hit - so forgive the rant.:lol

...to me it doesn’t seem like you’re straddling both sides to be honest. Besides the absolutely obvious like the paint job. But you see what you see :)

...to me it doesn’t seem like you’re straddling both sides to be honest. Besides the absolutely obvious like the paint job. But you see what you see :)

Why? Because I had to step in forcefully on one side (and list faults that I and others see) in order to answer someone who's being one-sided? As well as really liking the new one, I see a couple pluses in the old one and some downsides in the new one. That's okay to discuss here. It's part of the process for new releases.

This is a $800-900 figure, and comparisons with the old Jabba are inevitable (and welcome) - just let the discussion play out without the buyers-protecting-turf jackboots.

Why? Because I had to step in forcefully on one side (and list faults that I and others see) in order to answer someone who's being one-sided? As well as really liking the new one, I see a couple pluses in the old one and some downsides in the new one. That's okay to discuss here, isn't it?

This is a $800-900 figure, and comparisons with the old Jabba are inevitable (and welcome) - just let the discussion play out without the buyers-protecting-turf jackboots.

Ok ok... didn’t want to piss you off. A noble mission you’re on.

That fragile Crumb irks me the most. Part of the fun of the old set was handling the creatures from the creature pack and rearranging them from time to time.
I would be scared to breathe on the new Crumb.

The reality is, any piece that costs nearly $1000 is going to stir up a lot of discussion and critique, then add to that the same company released the same product before, there’s going to be a lot of comparison.

As much as I love the original Jabba more, it’s not flawless, nor is the new one. To keep on the baseball analogy, the new Jabba is like an inside the park home run, with the old one being a triple with a throwing error to third bringing the runner home.

There are certainly some nits you can raise with the new Jabba but that's what they are...nits. Side by side the shortcomings of the stock old Jabba smack you across the face like a 2x4.

Back