Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got the "call" from my LCS--I will have the Hutt this coming Saturday!:yess:

This ended up costing $1,100.00 CAD... thankfully I will pay 0$ because of trade that I had credit for....

Watched a video review on Youtube and I think I will be passing on Sideshow Jabba again.

The review was very good and the reviewer was very happy with it but to me, Jabba is only a statue with interchangeable parts with hardly any variation. Crumb is more the same. I understand SS has done the same with the Taun Taun and Dewback but I passed on those for the same reason. The sculpt and paint seemed better than the first go but more stylized (cartoonish).

Did Sideshow get new sculptors with a new Loony Toons direction?

I was working on my written review of the new Jabba when I found a few comparison shots that I haven't shared before. Maybe these will be of interest to someone.

View attachment 442409

Great pics, as always!

I find this one the most interesting, in that, from this angle it looks completely wrong; the bulbous eyes, the bulbous jaw/chin area, the small belly, etc - it just really shows what a great sculpt the original was.

Saying that, I'm still excited for mine to finally arrive.

Last edited:
Great pics, as always!

I find this one the most interesting, in that, from this angle it looks completely wrong; the bulbous eyes, the bulbous jaw/chin area, the small belly, etc - it just really shows what a great sculpt the original was.

Saying that, I'm still excited for mine to finally arrive.

Yeah, it'd be great to see both of these sculpts painted white to remove the great paint apps from the picture. There are angles of the new Jabba that do seem a bit wonky but the paint job is just so superb it ticks the "Jabba box" in your mind all on its own.:lol

Yeah, that's definitely not the most flattering pic of the new one (the one Mandible shared). It's interesting reading about how Talibane thinks the tail on the new one is too thin. To me, it looks too bulbous and doesn't taper off enough..like there's no way that thing could curl around like it did in the movie.

I'm really not seeing a cartoonish look with the new one either; at least not when you use the right eyes..like the barely opened right eye and medium opened left eye. The only things that bother me in the slightest is the material used and the slightly oversized arms/hands. Then again, mine hasn't been shipped yet. I just hope I'll be wowed by the piece more than underwhelmed when I have it in hand.

Yeah, it'd be great to see both of these sculpts painted white to remove the great paint apps from the picture. There are angles of the new Jabba that do seem a bit wonky but the paint job is just so superb it ticks the "Jabba box" in your mind all on its own.:lol

This is the best I can do...

white_jabba1.jpg
white_jabba2.jpg

Hey, it's not wrong! Just for context, the first pic was from about 10 years ago when I was repainting my Jabba. I started by giving it a white undercoat. The second pic is from here, where they talk about how they designed the new Jabba figure. It's an interesting read -- especially the part about the new figure being sculpted 100% digitally. So I'm guessing that what we see in the second photo is 3D printed somehow.

Hey, it's not wrong! Just for context, the first pic was from about 10 years ago when I was repainting my Jabba. I started by giving it a white undercoat. The second pic is from here, where they talk about how they designed the new Jabba figure. It's an interesting read -- especially the part about the new figure being sculpted 100% digitally. So I'm guessing that what we see in the second photo is 3D printed somehow.

Thanks for sharing that article, I somehow missed it.

Earlier someone mentioned a swappable curved tail option. That would have been cool, though I do wonder how obvious the seams would be. Having it in hand I do get why they went with the straight tail. It gives more open space to place Crumb and other palace critters as well as the various pillows and the like. Regardless I am still a curved tail fan. Lol

Oh, finally got a response and shipment conformation for my damaged Crumb parts.

Watched a video review on Youtube and I think I will be passing on Sideshow Jabba again.

The review was very good and the reviewer was very happy with it but to me, Jabba is only a statue with interchangeable parts with hardly any variation. Crumb is more the same. I understand SS has done the same with the Taun Taun and Dewback but I passed on those for the same reason. The sculpt and paint seemed better than the first go but more stylized (cartoonish).

Did Sideshow get new sculptors with a new Loony Toons direction?

How much articulation do people want out of a giant slug...that's all ive been seeing about this it's not articulated and it looks like a cartoon....the first jabba looks like a a kenner/Hasbro toy to me atleast...even the repaints I've seen don't look that good to say it's better then the new one

I can sort of understand the complaints about it being "a statue" and I don't think they are necessarily all related to articulation. After all, there really is a limited amount that you can do with a character like this. But if I was a hardcore collector of figures, something that can't be posed in a traditional way and is made of hard, fragile materials instead of something that could theoretically hold up to "play" would probably turn me off. Personally, I like statues just as much as figures -- maybe more in some cases -- so I don't mind.

Yeah, that's definitely not the most flattering pic of the new one (the one Mandible shared). It's interesting reading about how Talibane thinks the tail on the new one is too thin. To me, it looks too bulbous and doesn't taper off enough..like there's no way that thing could curl around like it did in the movie.

I'm really not seeing a cartoonish look with the new one either; at least not when you use the right eyes..like the barely opened right eye and medium opened left eye. The only things that bother me in the slightest is the material used and the slightly oversized arms/hands. Then again, mine hasn't been shipped yet. I just hope I'll be wowed by the piece more than underwhelmed when I have it in hand.

What I'm beginning to think is that onscreen Jabba may have had two different tails - a straight one and a curved one. The curved one just looks noticeably fatter than how the straight one would look when curved. The straight one tapers more and is thinner than the curved one, which is very fat.

I always wondered how that rudimentary system they had for moving Jabba's tail (little person turning rotating handle) could possibly have worked with the tail curved all the way around.) The mechanism seemed so delicate and rickety - not something that could withstand being bend all the way around.

I'm going to have a look at my (vast) library of Jabba pics to see if I can get a clear enough pic of the tail in curved and straight orientations to pick out sculpt details to see if they are two tails or just the same one curved around.

How much articulation do people want out of a giant slug...that's all ive been seeing about this it's not articulated and it looks like a cartoon....the first jabba looks like a a kenner/Hasbro toy to me atleast...even the repaints I've seen don't look that good to say it's better then the new one

It's funny how subjective these things are - I keep thinking the exact opposite. While I can see the innaccuries/inadequacies of the old one (the tail too thin etc) it's the new one that feels like a Hasbro Jabba blown up to 1/6. That's not really a putdown at all - Hasbro has been doing some amazing Jabbas lately. But something about the face that feels slightly cartoonish, an interpretation of Jabba and less a recreation of the puppet, and perhaps they overdid the sculpt detail overall where Jabba's body/belly looks a bit umm... "scrotal" perhaps. I kind of like them equally for different reasons (with the right paint, the old one bullseyes ROTJ screen jabba to me) so it's kind of frustrating - I wish one was the clear winner, but its more complicated.

I agree there's something a smidge cartoonish about the sculpt, but I think I lot of that would be reduced if it was just displayed under dimmer lighting like he was in the movie, instead of under this bright lighting with all the shadows washed out like I've seen in most pics so far.

Top down pic shows how undersized the old Jabba really is, probably like 15% too small. I do agree the belly of the new version should extend out a bit more.

The detail of the old throne is very lacking compared to the new one as well both in sculpt detail and paint.

Back