Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah it really is a statue, although personally I am totally fine with that. They are using the swap-out parts to make it "posable," and I think for a character like Jabba at least that makes a lot of sense. There have been a lot of attempts to make Jabba action figures semi-articulated in the past, and I don't think any of them were particularly successful. And it's way, way better than the original Sideshow Jabba, who had two points of articulation, but basically only had one pose that looked decent.

Yeah, it's nice to have the different looks with the eyes and mouth. But the original is at least somewhat of an action figure with some articulation and materials used doesn't make it feel like a statue. I just could never justify to myself spending $800 on this when I've still never even opened the original. The original with everything (Jabba $120, Throne $200, Salacious $33 & Bubo $40) cost a total of $393. And I believe back then a lot of their stuff shipped free. That was a bit pricey back then when they're figures were under a $100, but I also didn't have to buy it all at once. Jabba & Throne came together, but Salacious & Bubo were released separately and spread apart.

12 years later, sounds like you're really enjoying that purchase. :lol

Those brown shippers are works of art and beautiful to look at!!!! :lol

My office and display room became my son's bedroom. Probably 80% of everything I've collected over 40 years is boxed up. :( One day I'll get to see this stuff again, or with some items for the 1st time!! :yess:

I still feel that 2007 Jabba was one of Sideshow's biggest rip-offs. $120 for a hollow plastic 'statue' essentially with minimal paintwork. Hasbro makes stuff like that all day for $19.99.

That's not saying its a bad figure. Just crazy priced for what it was.

I still feel that 2007 Jabba was one of Sideshow's biggest rip-offs. $120 for a hollow plastic 'statue' essentially with minimal paintwork. Hasbro makes stuff like that all day for $19.99.

That was a work of art back then. And SS was really the only game in town. The Medicom stuff was way more expensive and the scale was awful. I have my midget Medicom Vader still sealed in the box as well. Now I'm afraid to ever open him as so many have had his pleather deteriorate. And, of course, it would look terrible next to the newer SS & HT Vader's.

I don't think I quite agree with that. It did seem a little expensive, but it was huge and although the paint wasn't fantastic, it was painted over the entire figure, which had to be time consuming. As for Hasbro, I don't think they are putting out giant fully-painted figures for $19.99, even outside of the Star Wars license. They even charged $40 for their Black Series Jabba, even though it was way smaller.

That's the problem with packing up figures in hopes of finding room one day: by the time you do, the figure is outdated.

I have the 2007 Jabba of course, but I was so disappointed with it -- not the sculpt but the cheapness of that pale pickle -- that I never displayed it. I kept my old repainted Illusive Concepts Jabba the Hutt maquette on top of the detolfs instead. At least it was the right colors.

As for Hasbro, I don't think they are putting out giant fully-painted figures for $19.99, even outside of the Star Wars license. They even charged $40 for their Black Series Jabba, even though it was way smaller.

Hasbro and other companies have been making satisfactory large creatures and zoo animals for years (not talking licensed movie characters -- just materials). Giant spiders and lizards, dinosaurs, sharks, etc. I mean, the sculpts aren't up to Jabba's level of course but the size and material are comparable. I had tons of these as a kid. TRU used to have bins full of things like that. I still have a giant shark I got decades ago for $15 boxed up somewhere.

Last edited:
Wow, to be honest it sounds crazy to choose to display the Illusive Concepts Jabba over the Sideshow one. I don't know if it comes through in this old photo of mine, but the IC version just seems worse in every way, including the level of detail, materials, and paint.

jabba_illusive2.jpg

Never said it was better, I said I choose to display it over the Sideshow because I had it repainted in 1996. That's how bad I felt the Sideshow one was. I guess the one you have above is the original paint. I never saw the original. They both look terrible.

Last edited:
That's the problem with packing up figures in hopes of finding room one day: by the time you do, the figure is outdated.

True when it comes to toys/action figures. But, I have many SW Gentle Giant Busts & Statues, Sideshow PF Statues, all the Riddel mini SW helmets, Bowen comic Busts, and of course my favorite collectibles are my MR SW lightsaber hilts (7 I think?). All that stuff can be sold for WAY more today than I paid back then when I bought them upon release. And most for less than retail. I think I made mostly good decisions on my purchases. The only thing today I would look at and shake my head at are my Hasbro & original Sideshow 1/6 SW figures. But nostalgia can be fun.

The only thing today I would look at and shake my head at are my Hasbro & original Sideshow 1/6 SW figures. But nostalgia can be fun.

Yep, and I have boxes of useless Hasbro figures as well as most of the early Sideshow Star Wars figures. I really need to unload those on ebay this year. I keep saying I'll do it but the hassle of digging them out, photographing them, setting up the auction, etc. Seems daunting. But I would love to get rid of a lot of this stuff. Including my 2007 Jabba. And the Illusive Concepts for that matter. :lol

Yep, and I have boxes of useless Hasbro figures as well as most of the early Sideshow Star Wars figures. I really need to unload those on ebay this year. I keep saying I'll do it but the hassle of digging them out, photographing them, setting up the auction, etc. Seems daunting. But I would love to get rid of a lot of this stuff. Including my 2007 Jabba. And the Illusive Concepts for that matter. :lol

Yeah, I'm the same way. Lot's of stuff I'd like to unload, but I'm too lazy as well. And then when I do have it in hand, I sometimes convince myself to keep it. :lol

when I do have it in hand, I sometimes convince myself to keep it. :lol

:lol That's the worst part. The well-I-need-this logic.

Getting rid of the 1/6th stuff would be hard enough, but I can't imagine going through all the 3inch figures from all the various movies I've collected since 1990. It would take months to just sort. Ugh... just thinking about it.

Sometimes I think I should just take it all to a Children's Hospital and give it all away. I'd feel so good afterward. I think.

Getting rid of the 1/6th stuff would be hard enough, but I can't imagine going through all the 3inch figures from all the various movies I've collected since 1990. It would take months to just sort. Ugh... just thinking about it.

Sometimes I think I should just take it all to a Children's Hospital and give it all away. I'd feel so good afterward. I think.

I think the same a lot too. I have so much it's over whelming. And of course there's the days I think of lighting a match and burning it. :slap

Collecting can be a sickness... But then I watch the show American Pickers and realize I am definitely not the one with the problem.. :rotfl

Collecting can be a sickness... But then I watch the show American Pickers and realize I am definitely not the one with the problem.. :rotfl

People like us put those shows on just to make people like us feel better. :D

Everyone has OCD, everyone obsesses, and everyone 'collects-or-covets' something.

A comparable Hasbro figure is probably the 12" Dewback (with Sandtrooper figure, which were about $20 separately) which retailed for $80 back in 2000. My guess is if Hasbro had continued its 12" line into 2007 and released a 12" Jabba, it would have been in the $120 range, though it likely would have come with a Fortuna or Leia Slave figure re-release.

Yeah, I'm the same way. Lot's of stuff I'd like to unload, but I'm too lazy as well. And then when I do have it in hand, I sometimes convince myself to keep it. :lol

There is hope for you guys...:monkey3

4919099936_09f147db97_z.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-11-08-22h13m31s210.jpg

PLUS you could write it off as a charitable donation!

Neither Jabba set is perfect, they each have some features you wish the other had. Overall this new one looks like an improvement over the first, but by no means devalues the original, and while cost today is relative to the overall market, I feel the original was a better overall return on investment.

image1.jpeg

Old sculpt with new paint would be a home run. The only sculpt issue I have with the original is his hands not really being made to hold items he came with.

This is the Gentle Giant version, I've had him for about 10 years I think. I love how the Jawa is fanning down Jabba. Looking forward to comparing the new 1/6 scale to this 1/8 scale.

IMG_0195.jpg

i gave my entire collection of mint in box or card figures to toys for tots. all my star wars, lotr, xmen, all of it! they were shocked enough to make a small article in the paper for it (didnt want that part ). over a thousand toys . do it wor gar!

Back