Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't see any pictures of this. So it did look good? Any changes -- or just the same proto?

In the Lando video it looked like the same proto. I think Susan mentioned it was still polystone - which was the original reason given for the large gaps around the mouth.

It's a huge impressive diorama piece in person. The paint and everything looked great. A Bikini Leia would complete it.

I'm good keeping the original... don't really like the face seams on Jabba and don't like the new Crumb sculpt at all. Nor do I want to pay $800 to replace a set that only cost me $300.

It fascinates me when a company redoes a prior work and somehow loses good features from the first while enhancing the shortcomings of the prior. The first Jabba, to me, is the most perfect ROTJ Jabba sculpt from anyone, it just suffered in the paint. Had all the amazing enhancements of V2 been applied to v1, people would easily drop $800 for upgrade, but it’s not an upgrade, it’s a trade off of what you want most, for those owning the original, for wholly new customers, it’s a nice but expensive offering.

There were pics of it around. In seeing it in video (in "3D" in you will), I felt that in addition to the facial issues overall it has a bit of that "melting Jabba" look that a few different Jabbas have had over the years. Almost like a candle Jabba that has melted slightly, making his whole form look a bit sagged.

The face problems were still there - the eyes being too bulbous and mouth issues for example - though it may be that they didn't have the right eyes/mouth combo in place at SDCC, as one combo looks noticeably better than the others.

I'm good keeping the original... don't really like the face seams on Jabba and don't like the new Crumb sculpt at all. Nor do I want to pay $800 to replace a set that only cost me $300.

Yes, I had close look at the old Salacious and this new one and even though there's more articulation the new one is unfortunately a step down sculpt-wise, especially with the inaccurately thicker limbs. The color of the new one is a bit more accurate though.

It fascinates me when a company redoes a prior work and somehow loses good features from the first while enhancing the shortcomings of the prior. The first Jabba, to me, is the most perfect ROTJ Jabba sculpt from anyone, it just suffered in the paint. Had all the amazing enhancements of V2 been applied to v1, people would easily drop $800 for upgrade, but it’s not an upgrade, it’s a trade off of what you want most, for those owning the original, for wholly new customers, it’s a nice but expensive offering.

Yeah, the original SSC Jabba is a remarkably good sculpt and is superior overall to the new one. Jabba is a bit like Yoda - I've NEVER seen a collectible at any scale that truly nails Yoda's headsculpt, to this day (including the HT and new SSC Yoda figures.) I'd argue the old 1/6 SSC Jabba is the most accurate Jabba ever produced at any scale, though the 6" Black Series one is decent, and the new Sail Barge 3 3/4" one looks very good so far.

The old SSC Jabba is slightly underscale (maybe 5-10%) but Jabba has so few direct scale comparisons onscreen it really doesn't matter - Bib is over 6'-6" tall and is usually hunched, and no regular-scale person is clearly seen in good lighting standing next to him.

The old SSC paint is obviously bad though - kind of lime/lemon - though who knows what the production new SSC will look like in that regard? The old one looked much better in prototype - people forget that.

I really thought long and hard about getting this new Jabba, but the cons slightly outweigh the pros so far, though I'm really excited to see how this turns out, and hope the paint is a rare "as good as the proto" outcome.

It's a huge impressive diorama piece in person. The paint and everything looked great. A Bikini Leia would complete it.

Yes and a Lando that will look like Lando. That one figure in the case suspiciously doesn’t look like Lando about the eyes. Here’s hoping he is magnificent under that helmet.
The Jabba was very impressive in person. On the fence now, upgrade or not????

I think I may end up getting this one. Just waiting tp see production pieces first. As far as the negatives go (the mouth piece gaps), hopefully they don't get worse in production. They don't bother me too much as it stands.

Does anyone know what the current Jabba & throne goes for? I'm considering selling the old one and upgrading.

In just a few months this production version will be revealed... don't you want to wait and see how it comes out? Especially if they are changing the base materials.

So is he gonna be polystone instead of pvc? Gonna wait to see how the final paint apps look and how those mouth seams turn out before pulling the trigger.

I thought in the original Sideshow video they said it is currently polystone or something like it (hence the large 'cracks' around the mouth pieces) but the production piece would be ABS plastic to solve that.

Question for the people who have/had the original Jabba and Throne. Did the Throne start to get any hairline cracks in the paint along the sides?
I'm prepping to sell mine and i noticed some cracks, mostly on the front where those heads are.

Question for the people who have/had the original Jabba and Throne. Did the Throne start to get any hairline cracks in the paint along the sides?
I'm prepping to sell mine and i noticed some cracks, mostly on the front where those heads are.

No, just had a look at mine and there’s nothing like that on it.

For a figure that is to be released soon and is a no show at NYCC this does not look good....

Back