Sideshow 1/6 Imperial Probe Droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think everything you said is spot on. And I think it only adds to what I'm saying.

You are most likely correct that the prices we see are not a true indication of what the production prices are. But the price increases do show that Sideshow is bold in what they think we're willing to spend. Therefore, the fact that they're pricing the probot at $250 means that they believe we'll pay it. And they are right.

BTW, I only used IG-88 because it's the closest thing Sideshow has done in terms of design and engineering to the probot. And I disagree that the probot seems like a more complex piece to render. I'd give the edge to IG-88 simply because he's expected to balance and stand on his own two feet. But detail levels, articulation, paint apps, and electronics are pretty much on par (except the probot has sounds).

$275/$300 was a crazy amount for the dewback, but it didn't stop Sideshow from pricing it that much, even for 2 years ago. True, they're still in stock, which may make them want to price the tauntauns more reasonably. But I won't hold my breath. They have essentially prepared us for a higher price because they have set a precedence with the dewback. They know that if people were willing to spend $300 2 years ago for a statue for their figures to sit on, they know those same folks will spend at least $350 for the same kind of thing next year.

One factor you are overlooking is the fact that more people are out of work and getting dumped off their health insurance, in the US at least, and more so than 2 years ago. Also, everything else is going up as well, gas, food, etc. All of which hurts, or stops outright, any fun buying such as SSC goods. I have cut way back on collecting myself.

I think everything you said is spot on. And I think it only adds to what I'm saying.

You are most likely correct that the prices we see are not a true indication of what the production prices are. But the price increases do show that Sideshow is bold in what they think we're willing to spend. Therefore, the fact that they're pricing the probot at $250 means that they believe we'll pay it. And they are right.

BTW, I only used IG-88 because it's the closest thing Sideshow has done in terms of design and engineering to the probot. And I disagree that the probot seems like a more complex piece to render. I'd give the edge to IG-88 simply because he's expected to balance and stand on his own two feet. But detail levels, articulation, paint apps, and electronics are pretty much on par (except the probot has sounds).

$275/$300 was a crazy amount for the dewback, but it didn't stop Sideshow from pricing it that much, even for 2 years ago. True, they're still in stock, which may make them want to price the tauntauns more reasonably. But I won't hold my breath. They have essentially prepared us for a higher price because they have set a precedence with the dewback. They know that if people were willing to spend $300 2 years ago for a statue for their figures to sit on, they know those same folks will spend at least $350 for the same kind of thing next year.

The economy's been in the toilet for the past 5 years and that hasn't prevented Sideshow or Hot Toys from increasing their prices.

Believe me, I've cut back on these figures to bare essentials. I was averaging about one a month when I started in 2008. Now I'm down to basically two figures a year for the past 3-4 years. Next year I'll up it to 3 if the probot, tauntaun and Hoth Han all come out in 2014.

So after watching that video, how many people still think this piece doesn't have a lot of work and tooling put into it? ;)

Thanks for posting, TED. It looks fantastic! And whoa is that thing big! Either that or they got a really tiny guy to pose the figure!

Beautiful. I want one...but I feel like a crazy person for spending that kind of money on this....i mean, it's no Dewback, but it's a whole different kind of awesome in it's own right.

This would have to go to the office.

Nice vid, thanks, TED. Really puts in perspective what a large piece it is. As I've said sort of ad nauseum by now, it seems a fair price for what's on offer.

The Probot looks great! :rock A must have!

I only hope the limbs won't be too fragile and thus to arrive broken.

Thanks for the video. I'm more than convinced now :yess:

But I still don't understand why they’d be going with a dark colored post :dunno. Come on Sideshow!!! If you're listening out there please look into changing that!!

Yikes! :horror

I did get to see one at Rancho Obi-Wan it was a damn fine piece. Too bad so many showed up damaged.

Yes, I recall viewing that as we toured Sansweet's collection :lecture

monocle-cat-full1.jpg

Not interested in this but it looks like they did a good job on it.

If this is $250 then what's a Tauntaun going to be?:horror

I'm putting in my guess at $350... the Dewback was $300 and the Tauntaun is likely about the same size and comes with a second head. Not to mention the Dewback came out quite awhile ago.

Damn, that looks good. And the black post doesn't look that bad.

Totally agree... this one looks like a total winner :rock

Thanks, Solo. :duff Glad you're getting one, too. Imagine you'll do something great with it, diorama-wise.

I figured it's not out until August, at the earliest, so plenty of time to save. I'm also getting them through a Canadian distributor for $240.00 each, so it is saving me a lot, as generally I go through Sideshow and pay much higher shipping, plus duties.

I know display will not be movie accurate, but looking forward to it. Also thought I could have the second one on my work desk, at home.

Congrats to both of you. This will make a pretty cool display on it's own. I don't think ill do a dio for this one.

I'll put in my office and just push the buttons when I feel like enjoying the piece. I think 175.00 would have been a more reasonable price. But I'm not complaining...unless the paint app doesn't come out like the proto.

Back