Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made this up to show the issue with the light-up feature of the eyes - maybe they just haven't finished the way it works in time for proto pics, but the lit-up eyes currently look too flat, dim and lacking in detail. This was something the Tamashii one really got right (even if they were a bit too bright.)

This is a still from ESB, a frame from the new Sideshow video and the prop head - all with eyes lit up.

m80g7n.png

I'm calling the SSC 3PO 'fat head' from now on. :duff

His nose looks like it's too deep to me... Also I think that the fact that he's not metallic throws off his look. We're all used to seeing him shiny and he's more of a matte gold color. However I'm still really liking it and thinking about picking him up. But if he costs as much or more than chewie there's no way in hell I'm going to be able to jusftify it. I'll only pay over $200 for the tie pilot and that's because he's an absolute must have for me.

I'm thinking at least $220, but could be up to $250.

I really like the articulated fingers. I wish Tamashii had done that. And I love the ex! It should definitely come with the severed arm as well.

Alas, I'm perfectly happy with my Tamashii. But I'm very eager to see how the final piece ends up.

I almost had a Tamashii for $230 just a few days ago. Curious to see this be the same price.

Tamashii does have a better eye glow... but its a feature I probably won't use but maybe for pictures.

I do think that each (Sideshow and Tamashii) have their pros and cons. You can't beat having a heavy real-metal 3PO in hand. It's just got to feel like a true miniature. But you have to hand it to Sideshow on the better proportions and weathering, even if the gold is rather flat and dull beneath.

I'd say its a tie -- whichever you can score for the lowest price wins.

Or get both: one for display, one for your desk at work.

I like SSC's 3PO but for me, Tamashii has it beat on eyes, ab wiring and overall proportions (Tamashii was able to replicate 3PO's "S" stance), plus I like the clean look for 3PO. Side by side will be the true test. One thing this is showing me is how much effort Tamashii put into their product. They must've been bitterly disappointed to see it get marked down so much.

If you get the chance to grab it at $230.00, again, Wor-Gar, you should jump on it. It's definitely a $400.00 figure in regards to quality and detail. Still don't regret my purchase at full retail.

I'm calling the SSC 3PO 'fat head' from now on. :duff
I noticed that right off the bat. It looks like Threepio has been stuffing his face with Twinkies lately. :lol

All in all I really like it though! Still, getting over the fat head look is something still to be considered. I like that this will "mesh" better with their R2 and that will be a huge buying point for me. If this turned out well I was seriously considering selling off my Tama for this (blasphemy, I know), but the fat head...... :lol Having a squeaky clean Threepio with a weathered R2 would annoy me I think. Im no stranger to weathering my figures but doing so on die-cast and not knowing the long term effects on the metal is making me hesitant. Also, I think this here SSC plastic version might be a more fun figure than the Tama. The Tama is wonderful, but I never touch it. Its friggin' heavy and has loose ankles so for the most part I leave it be.

Bah, what am I talking about, this figure will be $250 and come with an even bigger bloated, malformed head in production. **** it. :lol

If you get the chance to grab it at $230.00, again, Wor-Gar, you should jump on it. It's definitely a $400.00 figure in regards to quality and detail. Still don't regret my purchase at full retail.

Yeah, I managed to get mine, like new, from a board member for $265 shipped and it was WELL worth it. Outstanding figure. I'll probably get the SS C3PO as well since the weathering on it will go well with their R2.

If this figure drives down the price of the Tamashii, I will likely get it. But I will look at it as a one-off. Not necessarily as part of the collection.

Kind of like the Mime Joker. It's a stand-alone conversation piece.

<Spock>The cadet's logic is sound.</Spock>

Yeah, my guess is tinted by the recent desappointment (voluntarlily toning down my actual feeling here). Yet, with latest prices all over the board, i have to say it wouldn't surprise me if SSC were to ask that much. I'd then wonder how they can offer R2 for half that amount.

Hmm, the proportions definitely do look a bit off compared to the real thing, but then in a direct comparison most 1/6 figures tend to look a bit off. Overall though I still think this 3PO looks really damn good.

... at least for something under $200. I don't think I'd want to spend much more than that for this.

Back