Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received the SS C-3PO today. (Note for Australian folks: Popcultcha have sold out of them via pre-order already, but are stating that another batch will be available in September...).

This is interesting. A second run? That far ahead it must be -- which begs the question: will the thumbs be fixed on the September run?

This is interesting. A second run? That far ahead it must be -- which begs the question: will the thumbs be fixed on the September run?

:rotfl surely you jest Wor, SS correct a mistake, never in a million!

(although upon further thinking--they did correct and send out a corrected power-pose hand on the Mythos Vader!)

...so maybe there is hope

a new hope

nah

Last edited:
Finally got this today. Not too bad. Very simple. Will try to post a pic of him with my other Star Wars figures this weekend, but for now pics of C-3P0 are up on my IG account.

Starting to make a few minor tweaks to 3PO's head area - painted over top lip weathering, started to move spikes outward and tried new eye dots (I think these are 2mm, 1.5mm looks like what it needs to be.)

eyes_zpssiz6uzie.png

Starting to make a few minor tweaks to 3PO's head area - painted over top lip weathering, started to move spikes outward and tried new eye dots (I think these are 2mm, 1.5mm looks like what it needs to be.)

eyes_zpssiz6uzie.png

Wow. How did you modify the eyes?

Wow. How did you modify the eyes?

I'm playing with a couple of options right now - the one in the pic is simply some black plastic that's about card thickness punched at 2mm. It's then slid under the etched metal "screen" and sits gently wedged between the screen and the translucent plastic eye part. It doesn't move, so no need to glue and it's reversible.

What's interesting is that with the lights on in-hand, light blurs around the new pupils a bit, creating the illusion they are smaller. So they look just a touch too large in the pic, but in-hand they look about right. So not sure which one to go with - in-hand correct or in-pics correct.:lol

I painted gold over the upper lip weathering because it's part of what's making the head look so roundish. Painting that bit adds more gold and elongates the face just a tiny bit.

As you can see, the spikes just pop out of the holes on the neck and can be turned a bit. I may fill those holes with a small gold plug but they aren't really visible at normal viewing distance.

I'm playing with a couple of options right now - the one in the pic is simply some black plastic that's about card thickness punched at 2mm. It's then slid under the etched metal "screen" and sits gently wedged between the screen and the translucent plastic eye part. It doesn't move, so no need to glue and it's reversible.

What's interesting is that with the lights on, light blurs around the new pupils a bit, creating the illusion they are smaller. So they look just a touch too large in the pic, but in-hand they look about right. So not sure which one to go with - in-hand correct or in-pics correct.:lol

I painted the upper lip weathering because it's part of what's making the head look so roundish. Painting that bit adds more gold and elongates the face just a tiny bit.

As you can see, the spikes just pop out of the holes on the neck and can be turned a bit. I may fill those holes with a small gold plug but they aren't really visible at normal viewing distance.

YOU SIR, IS THE MAN!!! Thanks for the tip. I hope my Waldron punch and die set isn't too rusty for this. You have a nerve of steel and a surgeons hand to slide the disc under the photo etched without deforming it. GOOD JOB!!! ( sorry the CAPS, just got excited. Coz you solved my problem that I posted on the other thread. ).

YOU SIR, IS THE MAN!!! Thanks for the tip. I hope my Waldron punch and die set isn't too rusty for this. You have a nerve of steel and a surgeons hand to slide the disc under the photo etched without deforming it. GOOD JOB!!! ( sorry the CAPS, just got excited. Coz you solved my problem that I posted on the other thread. ).

Believe it or not the photo etched eye screens are pretty solid, when my 3PO came I found the one on the left eye was bent; I tried to bend it back with gentle force and it didn't budge. My replacement head is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

You mean they won't get annoyed unless enough people bother them.

Well, that too. But of course they won't do a thing until enough people complain about the thumbs. I posted earlier that I contacted them asking if I could buy another set of hands and they just gave me the run around, sending back form letters, ignoring what I was asking, generally avoiding the subject. So until enough people do the same us guys who want a proper fix to the hands won't have any luck. I wish they would just sell (or supply us with) unbuilt hand sets (so we didn't have to pry them apart).

Have you tried using a hairdryer to turn the thumbs?

I haven't tried twisting the thumbs. From the way it's built if you do that then you run the risk of twisted the thumb off the nub that holds it inside the hand. I didn't want to risk that.

Sean

Picked up my non-exclusive last night, and yes, the thumbs are exactly the same. Also, one of the little spines on the back of the hand fell off right out of box, but it's not broken, just needs a touch of glue. Other than that, my weathering isn't overly heavy, so I'm happy with him. The pistons are definitely fragile, and posing takes some care, but they work and haven't broken. Now it's just trying to fix the thumbs.

Guys- I need some help- My 3PO arrived missing the little spike thing in his head (shown in photo below circled in red). I wrote to the store I bought it from but haven't heard back. So to anyone who has gotten a head replacement from Sideshow would you be willing to sell me that little head spike on the head you had replaced? Please let me know!!!

3po.jpg

Sean

Guys- I need some help- My 3PO arrived missing the little spike thing in his head (shown in photo below circled in red). I wrote to the store I bought it from but haven't heard back. So to anyone who has gotten a head replacement from Sideshow would you be willing to sell me that little head spike on the head you had replaced? Please let me know!!!
Sean

Have you thoroughly checked the box or clamshells? One of the little spike things on the back of the hands fell off on mine (wasn't glued in well), and it's tiny. Only reason I noticed was because I heard it hit the clamshell when I was picking him out of the box...

Back