Should KOTC have been made ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This film should NOT have been made...by far the weakest of the 4 films.

INdy 4 = Die Hard 4...unnecessary sequel, in NO WAY strengthened the franchise.

Rambo 4 is much better than these two films.

I enjoyed it for what it was, but it didn't need to be made.

For those that say it ruined the trilogy, I don't see how. The original 3 are still there, untouched, just ignore KOTCS. It's not like they've been bastardized the way OT Star Wars was when Lucas went back and shoved prequel and cgi crap in there.
Pretty much my train of thought.

I could have lived w/o ever seeing the 4th movie be made, but for what it was it was fun.

Probably the best thing that came out of it was enough interest to finally get some high-end collectibles; which seems will culminate in a DX Indy :rock :rock :rock

As a die hard Raiders fan (my absolute favorite movie, ahead of even SW), I enjoyed it. I think it's on par with, and perhaps even better than, Last Crusade (I was sorely disappointed and heartbroken when LC came out). IMO the series took the downturn with LC, so to me this was just a continuation of that tone.

To me, Raiders stands alone in that series, with ToD a pretty good follow-up but not without its faults. LC took a big nosedive with only the Connery/Ford chemistry going for it, and KotCS just continued with the light fluffy tone of LC.

So, yeah, bring on more lighthearted adventure with old Indy!

You know, this isn't the first time I've heard this, but I really don't understand how some people dislike Last Crusade, especially after Temple of Doom... People talk about ToD being all dark and what not, but I found it pretty silly compared to LC. LC has some light moments, true, but it seems to work well...

KOTCS just seemed too, I don't know... fake, I guess.

If the goal with Indiana Jones was to stop after a perfect movie then it should have ended with Raiders. KOTCS was definitely the weakest but had some fun sequences and if nothing else made me appreciate TLC more. :)

I still don't completely get the argument the ghosts and other supernatural stuff in the first 3 are awesome, but that the aliens in part 4 are just unacceptable and make the movie a huge piece of ____. People have legitimate reasons for disliking Crystal Skull, but I never understood how that one factor just ruined the whole thing. But, to each their own of course.

I still don't completely get the argument the ghosts and other supernatural stuff in the first 3 are awesome, but that the aliens in part 4 are just unacceptable and make the movie a huge piece of ____.

I don't get it either. How many Christian artifacts are we supposed to see incinerating the screaming enemy at the end of the movie? "Indiana Jones and the Burning Bush of Doom."

Piggy-backing on the thread asking to rank the films, I noticed alot of folks were really rough on KOTC.

So I'd like to know, what perchentage of you folks believe that

A KOTCS was better than "No Indy at all"
or
B "the franchise would have been better off without KOTCS 19 years after LC"

Jim

Yes it should have. But before 1995.

Should this thread have been made?

No it should not have. Never.

Yes. I ____ing love this movie. And I laugh at everyone getting pissed off because their's Aliens in this.

God is more realisitic then Aliens I guess...:lol

I dig KOTCS. :rock Some of the stuff is pretty ludicrous. (Monkeys. Ugh.) But overall, it's true to the source material. And a whole lotta fun.

I still don't completely get the argument the ghosts and other supernatural stuff in the first 3 are awesome, but that the aliens in part 4 are just unacceptable and make the movie a huge piece of ____.

Becuase frankly they arent the same thing. The two concepts of fantasy with the christian stuff and sci-fi with the aliens ar so different in feel, tone, and storytype that they are typically considered two completly different genres.

The change was jarring and not what aot of people (myelf included) were hoping for. People go to sequels to see the same concepts done in new ways, not something completely different and disconnected.

Last edited:
Thanks to those that answered up honestly.

Personally I was curious as to your opinions.

I'm kinda ambivelent. I think the movie was o.k. , kinda cute wtih the old Indy reuniting with Marion thing. it was a Saturday night at the movies--2 hours to kill. I don't think it dishonored the francise the way Godfather III did to it's predecessors and I don't really think fans have a right to expect that after a 19 year hiatus that the francise could possibly pick up the steam it had. But I know to some fans Indy could never be bad.

My wife kinda liked it but thought the Alien thing was off the Indy track. I did'nt mind.

btw to those who think the thread should'nt have been started.---The thing with threads are : they are pretty clearly marked. When I see one that I'm obviously not interested in--- I just pass it by without opening it.

Jim

btw to those who think the thread should'nt have been started.---The thing with threads are : they are pretty clearly marked. When I see one that I'm obviously not interested in--- I just pass it by without opening it.

Jim

Well, this is true of course but in all fairness if you use the search feature you could have found a similar thread and posted your thoughts there.

Becuase frankly they arent the same thing. The two concepts of fantasy with the christian stuff and sci-fi with the aliens ar so different in feel, tone, and storytype that they are typically considered two completly different genres.

The change was jarring and not what aot of people (myelf included) were hoping for. People go to sequels to see the same concepts done in new ways, not something completely different and disconnected.

Well said. I mean, I'm an atheist, so it's certainly not a question of being "more realistic" or anything like that. Just seemed to work.

I was watching something on Syfy last night about Crystal Skulls and it seems like a lot of what Lucas used in the movie was pre-existing theory and speculation about real Crystal Skulls. I don't believe in any of it; I think they are just nicely made art for ritual worship, but in a round about way, it gave a little more credibility to KOTC knowing Lucas didn't just pull it all out of his imagination. I can fully accept Jones digging into that sort of thing.

If only the CG technology didn't allow for less and less believable action sequences, the movie might be watchable for me.

I thought the movie was kinda cheesy. But I enjoyed it for what it was. I like the idea that a 65 year old Indiana Jones is still out there going on adventures.

If the movie had been made in '95, I think it would have looked more like it belonged in the series. My main problem with it, is that it looks too new. That scene where the Russian guy gets eaten by the fire ants, the way the camera moves, and there's that overhead shot. . . things like that, they used modern tricks and techniques, and it just looks different from the other three films.

I'm just not sure if the fridge is that much more outlandish than chilled monkey brains and snake surprise.

KOTCS rocked! Much better on multiple viewings. Not as good as any of the other ones but I still enjoyed. It shouldn't taint the other three though. If you don't like it don't watch and just pretend it doesn't exist but to go as far as to say as it ruined the first three is pretty crazy.

Back