Should KOTC have been made ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy C

Super Freak
Reaction score
Piggy-backing on the thread asking to rank the films, I noticed alot of folks were really rough on KOTC.

So I'd like to know, what perchentage of you folks believe that

A KOTCS was better than "No Indy at all"
or
B "the franchise would have been better off without KOTCS 19 years after LC"

Jim

Personally, yeah, I think the trilogy is tainted by it. I was so excited to see that film, never thought for a second it wouldn't be good with Spielberg and Ford involved.

I left with a bad taste in my mouth, that's for sure. Too much CG moments, mainly (especially that ending, ugh), but overall, seems like it should have been worked on a bit more or something.

In addition to that, Indiana Jones seems to work best using a combination of Judea-Christian mythology and Nazis, but maybe that's just me.

No it shouldn't have been... they left on a great note with the third film. I agree with ruining the holy trilogy comment!

Also, I hate the idea of Indy dealing with Aliens!

I enjoyed it for what it was, but it didn't need to be made.

For those that say it ruined the trilogy, I don't see how. The original 3 are still there, untouched, just ignore KOTCS. It's not like they've been bastardized the way OT Star Wars was when Lucas went back and shoved prequel and cgi crap in there.

It should have been made but made 10 years earlier. While Ford was still more believable to be an adventurer ( not that he wasn't in killer shape for his age in Kotc, but still) and before Lucas fell completely into lameosville and while Spielberg was still trying. Oh and before Shai Le Bouf was making movies...

When it gets to the point they are thinking it's a good idea to CGI three chipmunk scenes they forgot what Indy was all about.

Keep it simple, throwback to the old serials...all trick Sfx NO cgi... I know blasphemy to old Georgy Boy... And the aliens thing? Eeeh. It could have worked in theory i guess but fell short

It's not that they shouldn't have made the film, it's that they shouldn't have made such a piece of crap.

I think thats what most people just don't get. How did so much of that stuff make it to screen!?

https://mysterymanonfilm.blogspot.com/2008/06/50-strengths-of-darabonts-draft.html

Here is an interesting blog and analysis of Frank Darabont's WAAAAYYY superior script for the 4th movie.

Includes some great ideas:
- like an opening that parodied Raiders 'rolling ball' with an old Professor Indy being chased by falling book shelves in the uni archives.
- the idea that Indy was publicly named as a Red (which happened a lot in that period, lives and careers were destroyed) and has to set off to clear his name
- a theme of Indy learning to be the adventurer he once was ...the movie tagline could have been 'You're never too old for adventure!'

So what made them use NONE of this interesting stuff and instead go with a different take on the same story that was inferior in almost every way? ....no one really knows...

No movie NEEDS to be made. I liked KOTCS. I bought it as well. Is it on par with the other three, no, but it's still very enjoyable. IMO, I think any Indy movie that was put out there probably would've been picked apart by fans since there was such a time gap between the last two.

No movie NEEDS to be made. I liked KOTCS. I bought it as well. Is it on par with the other three, no, but it's still very enjoyable. IMO, I think any Indy movie that was put out there probably would've been picked apart by fans since there was such a time gap between the last two.

I disagree, what's there is bad, and bad is bad. And good is good. Thumb Wars.

I enjoyed it for what it was... I wasn't expecting anything as classic as the previous three since we had already had the SW Prequels.

I think the only really positive in the movie was that Marion was back with Indy. I enjoyed seeing that. Also enjoyed seeing Harrison Ford back in the Indy garb. They could have just done a photo shoot tho... :lol

As a die hard Raiders fan (my absolute favorite movie, ahead of even SW), I enjoyed it. I think it's on par with, and perhaps even better than, Last Crusade (I was sorely disappointed and heartbroken when LC came out). IMO the series took the downturn with LC, so to me this was just a continuation of that tone.

To me, Raiders stands alone in that series, with ToD a pretty good follow-up but not without its faults. LC took a big nosedive with only the Connery/Ford chemistry going for it, and KotCS just continued with the light fluffy tone of LC.

So, yeah, bring on more lighthearted adventure with old Indy!

Back