Scalping is discouraged on this forum, and so shouldn't all pro scalping posts also b

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackthornone

Super Freak
Reaction score
This is a carry over from this thread.:

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67587&page=98

I am not obnoxious. Obnoxious: highly objectionable or offensive; odious: Scalpers deprive people of buying things by buying them first. That is highly objectionable to anyone who wants to buy a piece. Scalpers also sell a piece for more money than retail, and since no one wants to pay more than retail for something, they find the idea of paying more than retail objectionable, and therefore, scalping is obnoxious. Furthermore, someone bragging about the fact that they did or do this is being obnoxious, because they are calling attention to their behavior which is logically objectionable. Scalpers BEGIN the objectionable behavior, and I object to the objectionable behavior.
I am not petty. Petty: 1. of little or no importance or consequence: petty grievances. If scalping was of little or no importance, than no one would do it in the first place, now would they?
By the very act of doing it, they demonstrate that it has importance.
Because I am objecting to an act that has significance, because if it did not, scalpers would not do it, that proves that my objection is not petty, because to the scalper, the scalping isn't petty, either.

Redundant? Ok, I am indeed redundant.

I am not priggish. Prig: 1. A person who demonstrates an exaggerated conformity or propriety, especially in an irritatingly arrogant or smug manner. Exaggerated conformity or propriety? compared to what? compared to the opinions of those who commit sociopathic acts like scalping? Of course, but they are wrong. Logically, one must be objective in determining the proper application of such word, and since SSC has established a 1 unit per customer, they have therefore defined what correct behavior is, and furthermore scalping violates the golden rule, which has been the determining method for common sense ethics for hundreds of years. Scalping IS a big deal. If it wasn't a big deal, then no one would do it, would they. You can't on the one hand say it's a big deal to be able to make money that way, and at the same time, say that it is not a big deal that people make money that way. It is an inconsistent argument.
By the way, the official word for this behavior on this forum is is SCALPING, as defined by Darklord Dave, in the commerce section. It isn't flipping. Flipping is for houses. Darklord Dave has said that scalping is discouraged on this forum. Taking that statement as sincere, shouldn't ALL pro scalping discussion ALSO be discouraged on this forum? Obviously, talking positively about it tends to promote said belief, which encourages said belief, which violates the policy of the forum, which is that scalping is discouraged.

I don't admonish other members. I admonish scalping. It only comes up when someone brags about the fact that they are scalping, which is discouraged on this forum. Perhaps I would even volunteer to act as an anti scalping comment mod. Whenever a pro scalping comment comes up, I could edit it out. :) Scalping bothers me a lot. The fact that no one else seems to discourage it or say anything against it to me puts me in the position of being responsible for taking action, because I feel that if something needs to be done, and no one else will do it, then I have to. I don't really like that. I find it aggravating. That fills me with hate. That hate fills me with passion to write long and drawn out posts on the issue of scalping.
I like to see justice done. I don't feel right about letting it go, because that means giving up on justice, and giving up on the world, and that is an extremely depressing notion. If people want the anti scalping posts to stop than how about all pro scalping posts stop? People who post pro scalping posts do so with the purpose of antagonizing other people who don't have a certain item that they have three of, by breaking the rules. How about ALL scalping conversation stop, both for as well as against? Wouldn't that be reasonable?

No, not 100% of the threads I post in turn into a sermon. It's actually a very small percentage. It's just that my posts are so memorable, that it just SEEMS to be 100% to some people who like scalping, who hater being reminded of the wrongness of it, even though they have NOOO problem bring up scalping in the first place. It's called hypocrisy.
People who think that pro scalping posts are ok, and who don't think that anti scalping posts are ok, are hypocrites, ESPECIALLY on a forum in which scalping is discouraged.

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31116

See rule 2:
"2) Scalping (buying items solely with the intention of immediately selling them to other collectors) is discouraged. "

If you are going to post a definition, post the whole thing numbnuts.

prig /prɪg/
–noun a person who displays or demands of others pointlessly precise conformity, fussiness about trivialities, or exaggerated propriety, esp. in a self-righteous or irritating manner. (ex: priggish)

Do everyone on these boards a favor and go away.

Your post was too long, not memorable.

I "scalp" stuff all the time. I just don't advertise it here.

If you don't like scalpers prices, don't buy what they sell. You don't need to go off on rants demanding pointlessly precise conformity of others just because you've made the mistake of swallowing an ethical convention that should have been retired in the Dark Ages. If the Golden Rule was so enlightening, it would have taken the trouble to recommend how one should want to be treated, and not leave an empty bromide that amounts to nothing more than circular logic. Social morality is for ants, bees, and cockroaches. Be a man.

I don't care if someone scalps something or not. First come first severed.

Ditto that.

It's a game of chance. Someone, whom you describe as a scalper, has the right to buy as many items as they want. Yes, when an item comes into demand they stand to profit, and that item may also loose it's value. That an item is sold over an above retail isn't a sin, it's business. You might just as well call out retailers for selling over and above wholesale. You might just as well call out wholesalers for selling over and above manufacturing costs.

Rule 2
"2) Scalping (buying items solely with the intention of immediately selling them to other collectors) is discouraged. "

It can be said that someone, whom you describe as a scalper, on this forum, may wish to sell off multiples as a favour to other collectors who weren't cashed up at the time an item goes up for sale. Therefore they are not selling it with the sole intention of immediately selling them, but as an afterthought, thereby bypassing rule No:2. As long as it isn't their sole intention, Rule No:2 is bypassed.

The rule also allows for discouragement. You can discourage them but that doesn't necessarily mean it will stop them, or dissuade them. The attempt of discouragement may fail, so rule No:2 stays intact.

Even so I find it unnecessary to call for you to be banned or asked to leave. That isn't any members call. Leave that to Dave to decide.

If you are going to post a definition, post the whole thing numbnuts.

prig /prɪg/
–noun a person who displays or demands of others pointlessly precise conformity, fussiness about trivialities, or exaggerated propriety, esp. in a self-righteous or irritating manner. (ex: priggish)

Do everyone on these boards a favor and go away.

I didn't get the definition from there. I'm not self righteous. I'm irate.
Even so, it isn't pointless if someone sees a point in scalping. You can't on the one hand admit that there is a point in scalping, but there is no point in objecting to it. That is inconsistent. If something is important enough to do, then it is important enough to complain about, if there are undesirable aspects of any kind to it. It's not trivial to argue against it if it's not too trivial to do. Can't stand to have someone bring up the fact that scalping is unethical and prove it with logic? Yes, you can't. People who do bad things can't stand to be called out on the carpet. Conventionalism does not equal what it takes to be ethical. Slavery used to be socially acceptable, too.

Last edited:
I don't see the issue

If no one likes scalping, don't buy from scalpers--then they'll be forced to bring down their prices

Once scalpers have the items, because of the limited numbers produced, that isn't really an option. Now, if SSC were to up the es after the fact, and scalpers were such with an item that was now in abundance, or if it was an open ended es made to demand, then that would work.

If you don't like scalpers prices, don't buy what they sell. You don't need to go off on rants demanding pointlessly precise conformity of others just because you've made the mistake of swallowing an ethical convention that should have been retired in the Dark Ages. If the Golden Rule was so enlightening, it would have taken the trouble to recommend how one should want to be treated, and not leave an empty bromide that amounts to nothing more than circular logic. Social morality is for ants, bees, and cockroaches. Be a man.

It should NOT have been abandoned in the dark ages. The implication of the golden rule is ethical. In order for one to want to be treated a certain way, one must first live, and be healthy, and have well being. Thus, the idea of wanting anything other than that when you understand the golden rule is a logical fallacy. How is social morality for insects, or for insects only?
I am a man. I don't want to be a monster. I don't want to be a parasite, like scalpers are, whether it's concert tickets or limited edition collectibles.
By the way, I do think that the ethics and laws about justice in the Middle Ages were a lot more sincere than they are today. Today, things are so watered down, and so permissive, that it is difficult to view many of today's laws or social conventions as having sincere interests in right and wrong, or ethics. To a large degree, it is a system that allows people to get away with as much as they can, without fear of retribution. Part of me longs for the days of chivalry as far as ethics are concerned.

Last edited:
Your definition isn't based on logic. It is based on a loosely connected series of presumptions, none of which apply universally. You presume that, since you perceive things a certain way, all others must therefore share your perspective, and that is a fundamental flaw in any attempt to present a logical argument.

I'm not alluding to MY own righteousness. I'm referring to what is logically determinable to be righteous.

You're imposing your ideas of right and wrong on the rest of us as though your ideas are somehow applicable to everyone. If they invented the phrase to indicate anything, they invented it to indicate that.

Back