Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL! I don't think I'll ever get to that level, IM. But you never know...I am a bit obsessed. I got your funds, so as soon as the mold/cast material comes in, I'm going to pour you a gorilla head and try to get it to you ASAP. Virgil just needs minor touch up, which I will do before I send him out.

Oh...I may be very busy the next few weeks helping out my friend at daycare, until she fully recovers. Her blood count is 7 when it needs to be 15. School starts this Tuesday for the kids. God help us all.

PZ I finally took the monkey out of the box. Is this the crap paint job on the hands that you are talking about?
caesar010.jpg

Actually, I hate the hairline. It's super bad.
caesar018.jpg

To me his whole face looks like he's been digging in my garden and has all this fine dust stuck on his sweaty face. This is not the best of photos, I admit, but he totally looks rat-like. I think it's the super beady eyes.
caesar017.jpg

Hey IM, how did Burke paint up? I still have to crack out my paints, and I'm too lazy and not in the mood.

Today it's 98 degrees and 28% humidity. I'm sure more of the same weather will be had tomorrow. I just painted GM mold release on my positive and negative ultracal molds, which already have a sheen of two layers of baked on Johnson's Paste Wax and 99% alcohol. Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'm going to try to bake some foam latex in the back yard...and see if I can make my own foam latex appliances.

Last edited:
PZ I finally took the monkey out of the box. Is this the crap paint job on the hands that you are talking about?
caesar010.jpg

Yep... those are them.

When you compared them to Cornelius's hands, it just seems that Sideshow, at the point of Caesar's release, just didn't care about the Ape line anymore. :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

And yeah, that hair line is unforgivable. Shame on you Sideshow. :gah::gah::gah:

But call me an optimist. I STILL think that Caesar would look 10000% better with a professional paint job.

One day I may get the funds to prove it. :pray::pray::pray:

I think i might treat myself. I have all the Sideshow apes in box, Mutant human, Caesar, Brent, Nova etc it might be time to set them free.

Jess, Burke is not finished yet. My human painting skills are still lacking and way behind my simian ones. I just can't seem to nail the flesh tone skin coloring I want to get.

Monkeybat, SET THEM FREE.

When I get the paints back out to paint the heads from Jess I hope to give a fewe humans the treatment as well. Hopefully all will be worthy of being shown.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure another will show up. How much did the HT sell?

Behold my first foam latex run. OK, she's not perfect, a little harder than I want, and there's a gigantic tear across her face, but I'm going to glue her down onto a spandex hood and make myself a pullover so that I can be an instant ape if I am in the mood to get my ape on. Going to have to make some minor chemical adjustments the next time I make another foam run.
dsc01390h.jpg

I tore the foam while prying the molds apart. I'll be more careful the next time. Stinky work, this stuff. Glad to have an outdoor convection oven.

dsc01391h.jpg

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Ok60rgaRrfo?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Ok60rgaRrfo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

My first YouTube upload! Enjoy!! (OK, first off, I suck at playing the piano. I can't even read musical notes...I was cheating and looking at how the kid's piano teacher had written down which finger to press). It took a whole damned hour, 11 hours after I had first glued on the makeup, and I kept messing up. I was really really tired....:monkey2 But it was for a good cause. Long may the apes live!!:hi5:

so cool , but very creepy the same time cause it looks so real and out of place playing the piano. awesome job!

Jess, one sold for $31 and the other for just under $16. I can only hope to find the figures at those prices again. They were headless but that was the appeal. I have lots of heads waiting for homes.

I got back from my trip Thursday night. Wow, what a history lesson. We hit Antietam, Gettysburg, Harpers Ferry, 1st & 2nd Manassas, Chancellorsville, Spotslyvania, Fredericksburg, Wilderness, and Jackson's Shrine. :thud: I'm now seriously thinking of volunteering for the Parks and living in Sharpsburg, MD. :wink1:

Jessica, your video is fun to watch, I love the music you chose. It fits right in with the American Civil War theme. :hi5:

It would be nice to see you manipulate the bottom lip, chin of your mask more, or even a little nose twitching to help show the flexibility of your creation. You've done one heck of a great job. I applaud you. :clap

IM, sorry you were sniped. Those sound like great prices, for the uniforms alone. Hopefully next time.

I know that they weren't mine until I [would have] actually won them, but it really lookied like I was going to and I had such plans for them. Disappointing doesn't even come close. I don't think I'll ever get a chance at a deal like that again and I'm really wishing I could switch ALL my Sideshow gorillas over to the HT versions.

Last edited:
Sticks--you know I can't play the piano at all. When I did move my face, I lost concentration and messed up. I really tried. If I could just have had the muscle memory down for those two songs, it would have been spectacular, but the makeup was ready before my hands were able to play from memory, and I had to make do with what I had.

Dammit Ironman! Those were GREAT and AWESOME prices. I hate Feebay.

I think I killed my $15 standing mixer yesterday. The machine won't turn on. FUDGE! I'm going to have to troll through Feebay and look for something I can use to make more foam latex. My husband says I can just use those mixers for mixing concrete that you stick onto your drill. I highly doubt it, because mixing this material takes 14 minutes. I can't imagine holding a heavy drill for that long.

Yeah, I'm really bummed that it turned out like that. One was destined to be the TV Urko in proper uniform!!
Nobody seems to part them out unfortunately. :monkey2

OMG! GUYS!! I did it! I made a successful foam run! Now I can make them as I need them and not have to recycle them! I am so happy. It took 3 hours to bake her, and I had to adjust the timing because the 2nd foam run gelled too fast for me and mid-pour I freaked out, so bubbles galore on the nose and mouth. The first did not gel at all because I didn't realize that the stupid vintage mixer I had was on death's door. Anyway, I killed the motor on that one...and I was so desperate to get this done that I went to Wally World and invested in a $20 hand mixer with 6 speeds.

I'm currently working on a gorilla mask now. The gorillas are harder to sculpt than the chimps because of all of the wrinkles and folds. I don't think it will fit in my convection oven, so I'm going to have to see if my husband can help me rig up some oven and I can use the $30 airbake motor I got from Goodwill to power it up.

dsc01408n.jpg

Last edited:
Back