Premium Format Sauron Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll probably get this through SSC since I can make payments that way. Though I know I'll probably end up getting this, just not sure when.

This is a lot of coin.
I need to wait and see the first pics of the final production piece before I make a move.

I'm thinking of doing the same, especially since it doesn't seem to have an ES. Hopefully SS realizes the importance of getting the paint just right and gets their best factory for this piece. Products with simple weathering like the Isaac Clarke statue come out looking awful and it worries me.

No exclusive is fine by me on this one. Levels the secondary market playing field which tends to insanely over value exclusive elements even if many don't care for that element.

This is a grail piece for sure and I'm not the least bit surprised that it's marketed that way.

I'd love to have it.

which you get if they had the same size?

300124_press01-001-1.jpg

you all,put your vote too :duff

The WETA one for me.

Weta pose is badass! The left one looks effeminate unfortunately. If only WETA had a larger scale one to go with the LOTR PFs. :slap

Anyways, no edition size and no exclusive means there's a no risk policy to wait to see in hand pics and see what other goodies are out there to spend money on!

Thanks for the side by side comparison.

I really don't think the price is bad for a PF. I tend to discount the labels anyway and look at the playing field, quality, detail, etc. If you think 900 is too much for a 36 inch tall statue of the personification of evil from Middle Earth then consider that a 17 inch tall statue from some minor Star Wars villain is selling for even more (Darth Talon). Of course Mola Ram PF rocks and that cost me 200 bucks (gotta love waiting for a sale).

I think the price is ok, just the pose that throws me. Will see how the final product looks.

Pose and paint, same ol' song and dance from SS. Can't blame them for the former, they push the boundaries and sometimes this fails, sometimes it doesn't. When this piece was first announced I noted that Weta had taken the classic and easy way out with their Sauron so SS was pushed into something less classic. Still at 36 inches this really will amaze no matter what.

Last edited:
Yeah, this statue will certainlly have a presence in any collection.

No doubt! The pose is straight from Jerry's work which he captured Sauron's evil without him having to do something evil. Sideshow just copied it and made it 3D which works. So those two together are going to give it a huge presence in any collection.

which you get if they had the same size?

300124_press01-001-1.jpg

you all,put your vote too :duff

definitely the weta one. cant stand that awkward leg pose, why did sideshow has to base the pose on that particular paint..out of all the poses they could used /sigh ( i love vanderstelt's artwork except this one ). Also one's all sculpted vs rag cloth.

Gandalf-Wallpaper-ian-mckellen-2759437-1024-768.jpg
5256400550_77a3ba305e_z.jpg

Pose and paint, same ol' song and dance from SS. Can't blame them for the former, they push the boundaries and sometimes this fails, sometimes it doesn't it. When this piece was first announced I noted that Weta had taken the classic and easy way out with their Sauron so SS was pushed into something less classic. Still at 36 inches this really will amaze no matter what.

Agreed. Sometimes fans need a classic take tho'.

The Gandalf the Grey PF is a perfect example of a great perfectly chosen iconic pose in a stellar PF. Legolas and Aragorn PF also had very good iconic poses.

It's when they want to think out of the box that they sometimes trip up.

If it ain't broke don't effiminatize it.

Yeah we can time travel many moons back with the discussion of the leg and its masculine appearance or lack thereof.

I agree about the cloth though. I know mixed media is the hallmark of the PF, or at least it was. But sometimes the material just doesn't hold up. Take (again) Darth Talon. People are paying 2-300 more for the ex of this PF because it includes a very thin, almost translucent simply made cape. The rags on Sauron I would think need to be weathered (maybe they are, hard to tell here) and in fact the armor overall looks too shiny (less so in Josh's pics).

Last edited:
Back