Premium Format Sauron Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tis one of my favourite films.. top 5.. (sorry didn't read the books) really looking forward to the hobbit films and glad Petter Jackson is back directing :yess:

You need to read the books. I believe if you loved the films you'll love the books every bit as much.

Yeah, I saw both. That's a tough question to be honest. Both items are amazing and worth getting (like I am). Are you more into environments or big pieces like the PF? I'm a terrible chooser in situations like this. :lol Both companies produced items I felt were vital to my collection. So as I said I think you need to look at your collection and just chose which fits better.

I'm ok to pick environment, PF or maquette. I'm not in one line only. I'm getting the best, that's it. If something looks great and the statue worth it, I'm getting it. I'm a new collector and I missed the boat for lots of statues but I catch few that i missed ( ex. lurtz ex, berserker ex). But at that price, I'm not sure barad dur worth the price. When you saw barad a SSCC, did you see so many tiny details in the balconies, tiny bridges, Windows, great stuffs in close up? Cause if it's the case, I'm getting it over sauron. But if you say it's great but I'm getting more with sauron, I'll cancel the fortress and get the big tall guy. Can't afford both.

My money depends on you Josh, :D

I'm ok to pick environment, PF or maquette. I'm not in one line only. I'm getting the best, that's it. If something looks great and the statue worth it, I'm getting it. I'm a new collector and I missed the boat for lots of statues but I catch few that i missed ( ex. lurtz ex, berserker ex). But at that price, I'm not sure barad dur worth the price. When you saw barad a SSCC, did you see so many tiny details in the balconies, tiny bridges, Windows, great stuffs in close up? Cause if it's the case, I'm getting it over sauron. But if you say it's great but I'm getting more with sauron, I'll cancel the fortress and get the big tall guy. Can't afford both.

My money depends on you Josh, :D

I see your difficulty then. Its hard to pick in this situation when you have to great items as we do here. I can assure you both items are worth the money. Barad-Dur is the most detailed environment Weta has done even more so IMO than Rivendell. So I saw all all those details and more to be honest. It's the version of this environment we've all been waiting for. Sauron is amazing! It's uber detailed as my pictures show, huge, ripped right from the amazing work of Jerry V, and can easily be a centerpiece for any The Lord of the Rings collection. This piece feels like Sauron and captured his essence very well so like I said nothing was lost in how amazingly well Jerry captured Sauron. So you're winning whichever way you choose.

As far as affording both would it be possible to flex pay Sauron? I did that yesterday and it was the only way for me to swing both. The $180 NRD hurts but my payments starting in December at $90. Something to think about that Barad-Dur is lading in Dec/Jan and will be a lump sum charge so they're not landing at the same time. Do you have any Weta Dollars used on this order to lower Barad-Dur? So in the end my suggestion is get both paying full on Barad-Dur and Flexing Sauron. I had to go with this option after seeing both last July.

Alter Ego has this up but it's only $50 cheaper. So you'll save about $5 if you count in SSC's points. Not sure what the shipping is on it though.

I'm super excited for the price on this piece. Even more excited that I have time to save for it. This is mastery at its finest IMO. Anyone on the fence about this piece piece should jump on it. Unfortunately for me I can't commit at this time. I may have to wait untill after the new year to pick this up. There is little concern for the glow effect but with the most recent pieces that have been put out I have much faith that SSC will bring it.

I would have put money on a bet that this would have been over $1000 so the price makes buying easier, plus the 8 payments flex pay helps...Plus LOTR means a heck of alot to me....This is a beautiful statue I dont care what anybody says...I liked the SDCC photos...IMHO Unless someone makes a 1/2 or 1/3 scale piece this is it!...However there is nothing wrong with owning the Weta piece...If that is the only Sauron that one ever owns they should be totally happy...This piece is special to me and may possibly be my grail....end of story...If I dont like it I will Repaint it myself.....Grats to those who will get this...grats to those who own the Weta version too.....Peace:rock:rock2:orthanc:ogat:nazgul

I'll say it again...this piece will be incredible...I just know it...I hope...LOL

This statue was, without a doubt, the most impressive middle-earth related statue I saw at SDCC, truly a flagship piece if ever there was one. And though I do prefer fully-sculpted statues to premium format this symbolizes to me the ultimate representation of evil in regard to Tolkien's world of middle-earth and it is therefore a "must have" statue for my collection.

Now seeing there is no ES or even TBD reference I have to believe this is an open edition statue and while I really have no use for these blatant money-grabbing editions, it does appear that the price has been adjusted somewhat to reflect the open edition nature of this statue. I fully expected this staue to be priced in the $1000-$1200 range [as I'm sure did most people], so the $899 price tag though still alot of money, is a pleasant surprise. And kudo's to Sideshow because whereas some companies [or their sycophantic base] do little more than talk about putting passion before profit, Sideshow has actually backed up such talk with their actions in this instance.

As for the simulated lava glow, I do share the concerns of others. Admittedly, the "lava glow" effect of the SDCC prototype looked fantastic, but let's keep in mind here that prototype was painted by a professional, not some overworked, underpaid factory worker just trying to complete his daily quota before collapsing due to exhaustion. This specific paint application has the potential to "go south" real fast, and I am by no means confident Sideshow will be able to pull this off on a consistant basis. It is not an ideal solution, but I will put aside a little extra money [as a contingency plan] just in case the particular painter who works on my Sauron is too drunk, or exhausted to tell the difference between a soft yellow/orange and a bright flourescent orange, and I have to have it partially repainted/touched up.

Back