Premium Format Sauron Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really wish they would have made it an option for the "light paint" Exclusive with/ regular without. Or the other way around......

Personally I think the paint effect works wonderfully.I love it!! :clap

I obviously realize that we will have to wait 'til he ships to get a proper idea.But I'm with The Josh on this one,I've got a feeling it will come out great.

The only concern for me is how much of his neck you see.I really wish his helmet/head sat a bit lower on his shoulders...I keep watching videos from SSCC and I just can't get used to it at all.It doesn't look quite right.

I've sent SS a message PLEADING with them to correct this,but I just got a message back saying "we do offer a refund policy if you are not satisfied with the product".Thanks,but that's not the point I was trying to make :mad:

It's SO close to perfection in my eyes,it would be a travesty to let one small detail spoil an otherwise incredible statue.

Just for comparison's sake, the Alien Big Chap maquette (ES of 1250 at $800) came out in March of last year and within six months it was sold out. Not even a waitlist option. And with a piece that size, with that big of an ES and the price, you'd think it would have stuck around for a while. Is Alien more popular than LOTR? I don't know, but I wouldn't assume that Sauron will be sticking around for a long time.

I'm not too familiar with what other "big" Alien collectibles were available at the time so that could play into it. I know the Alien franchise has it's share of rabid fans though.

That is something to think about. Pieces like this seem to maybe just sit around and give off the idea they will be around for a while. However, they usually tend to just sell out while everyone who was thinking waited and then they're pissed because they missed it.

The biggest issue that I see is that SS has decided to put two of the most demanded LOTR PF's up for sale at the same time and at their prices, a lot of collectors have to make the tough choice between them.
If I could swing the flex for the TWK, DR, and Sauron at the same time I definitely would. Believe me, I'm putting my order in for Sauron as soon as I am able to.:yess:

I'm not too familiar with what other "big" Alien collectibles were available at the time so that could play into it. I know the Alien franchise has it's share of rabid fans though.

The biggest issue that I see is that SS has decided to put two of the most demanded LOTR PF's up for sale at the same time and at their prices, a lot of collectors have to make the tough choice between them.
If I could swing the flex for the TWK, DR, and Sauron at the same time I definitely would. Believe me, I'm putting my order in for Sauron as soon as I am able to.:yess:

You better buy your sugar daddy

I totally understand. $1700 is a lot of money for sure and I can't blame anyone for trying to wait it out the way you're doing. I personally flexed both but the RWOS is a bigger hit than Sauron which is funny.

I totally understand. $1700 is a lot of money for sure and I can't blame anyone for trying to wait it out the way you're doing. I personally flexed both but the RWOS is a bigger hit than Sauron which is funny.

And don't forget to throw Barad-Dur into the mix for a collector's dream and financial nightmare.:lol I'm still not sure when or if I'll go after Barad-Dur. Right now The Dark Rider is secured, Sauron is next and Barad-Dur is a maybe.

And don't forget to throw Barad-Dur into the mix for a collector's dream and financial nightmare.:lol I'm still not sure when or if I'll go after Barad-Dur. Right now The Dark Rider is secured, Sauron is next and Barad-Dur is a maybe.

And you better buy your sugar daddy's house too!

That's true. I didn't think about Barad-Dur. I was able to save on it with some Weta Dollars but it still cost my $545. I had to FP both the RW and Sauron in order to make it all work. The NRD for the RW was only $80 with payments of $144 while Sauron was $180 for the NRD and $90 payments. Its all gonna work out in the end but man this is a rough time for three big pieces to hit.

Pretty much spot on. It is a strange move, I think most people will be in the same situation. Especially if you collect other things.

Personally for me, if I were only to ever own 2 LOTR pieces it would be these two and BANG it hits you one after the other!

These 2 are like the Darth Vader and Emperor of Middle Earth!...aka Kick a ss!

I don't think they initially intended them to come out so close together. I seem to remember hearing that the Dark Rider was held up for several months with engineering issues before it went up for pre-order. I could be wrong, though.

Yes, both have been rumored for quite a long time and took quite a while to get a release date. The Dark Rider has slipped a little already, it's likely Sauron could as well. I think their close proximity just ended up that way from the various delays - they probably originally should have been at least 6 months apart.

Yes, both have been rumored for quite a long time and took quite a while to get a release date. The Dark Rider has slipped a little already, it's likely Sauron could as well. I think their close proximity just ended up that way from the various delays - they probably originally should have been at least 6 months apart.

Sounds about right.
Still, there's a chance for delays for Sauron. :monkey1

I agree about the timing of the Dark Rider and Sauron being to close for most fans, I would love both but theres no way I can afford paying flex on both!

As someone who owns quite a few collectibles with lights, I'm of the camp that thinks ultimately they are more trouble than they're worth.

While the circuits are usually quite simple, the problem is that they are housed in the resin collectible making repair and trouble shooting very tricky unless you happen to be a special effects electrician ... and we all know how common those guys are . . . ;)

Granted, most of the time, the relevant electronics and wiring is in the base but that still means having the comfort level to take that base apart to gain access for both diagnosis and repair.

Having said this, I'm also not too sold on the use of paint to create the glow effect. Done as a custom job by a professional paintmaster, it can work of course. I have a few pieces that showcase this very well. But it is subtle and a hard effect to pull off correctly.

As for Sauron, I'm not even sure if a lighted base would look all that good. It's easy to THINK it will look great but the execution is a far different story than the design. Done improperly it could wind up looking like a cheap toy for instance.

I admit to being on the fence with this. I really love the design, the sculpt, and the detailing. I'm not as happy with the pose (would have preferred the leg to be down in a more stately museum pose) and certainly have serious reservations about the paintjob on the base.

I agree about the lighting effect, I don't know that it would work since it is supposed to be a glow effect rather than lighting on something like Han Carbonite.

My first house had a slab foundation, plumbing is run through the foundation and then the slab poured, lack of access to the plumbing isn't a problem because nothing can happen to the lines once in place. Well in my house the line had been cut by a backhoe right before the pour. The solution was a total pain.

Last edited:
Back